United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the last few weeks, it’s been exciting to see some of our preorder customers receive and start to play their copies of Wingspan. I’m particularly excited for Elizabeth Hargrave, as this is her first published game. And I’m excited for all the people—artists, playtesters, proofreaders, translators, our graphic designer, our manufacturer, myself, etc—who spent their time, energy, and love bringing this game to life. I hope all that care and attention is evident when you open your copy of Wingspan, see the component quality and the art, and experience the card-driven, engine-building gameplay for the first time.

However, despite all of this care and attention, some mistakes slipped through the cracks. Fortunately, only 2 of those mistakes impact gameplay, and they’re so small that you probably wouldn’t notice them if you didn’t read about them online. There are others (mostly misspellings) that were missed by several proofreaders, including myself. In the end, all revisions come through me, and I take full responsibility for these errors. I will significantly bulk up our proofreading process at multiple stages on future projects, so this doesn’t happen again.

Of course, this doesn’t help anyone who bought a first-printing copy of Wingspan. For some of you, the typos might not bother you at all (some are very subtle). For anyone who would like a “perfect” set of cards, though, I’ve decided to print an update pack at our expense that we will make available for free from Meeplesource (US), Board Game Extras (UK), 401 Games (Canada), and Guf (Australia). We selected these vendors because of our existing relationships with them and because they have the flexibility and generosity to offer this product for free (shipping isn’t included, but if you add them to another order, you won’t pay anything for the update pack). It will take a few months to print it, but please don’t let that stop you from playing Wingspan in the meantime. (As an aside, most of these errors were fixed in the second printing, due in stores in early April, and all of them were fixed in the third printing, due in stores in mid-May.)

The update pack will include the following cards:

Gameplay Impact

• Photographer (bonus card): The requirement for the 3-VP bonus should be 4-5 birds, not 2-3 birds.
• Spotted Sandpiper: Should be worth 5 VP, not 4 VP.

Art Impact

• Cassin's Finch: has the same art as Cassin’s Sparrow

Incomplete Descriptions

• Anatomist (bonus card): missing “crown”
• Rodentologist (bonus card): missing clarification about rodent-specific food costs
• Northern Harrier, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-Shouldered Hawk, Barred Owl, and Swainson’s Hawk: missing the text “If not, discard it.”

Misspellings

• Oologist (bonus card): this is spelled “ooligist” on the card
• Ecologist (bonus card): this has “brids” in the explanatory text
• Brewer’s Blackbird: this has “ooligist” in the flavor text
• Trumpeter Swan: this is spelled “trumpter” on the card
• Loggerhead Shrike, American Avocet, Brown-Headed Cowbird, Yellow-Billed, Cuckoo, Bronzed Cowbird, Barrow’s Goldeneye, Eastern Kingbird, Belted Kingfisher, Turkey Vulture, Black-Billed Magpie, Black Vulture, Horned Lark: these all have “betweeen” instead of “between”

I’m very sorry that I missed these errors, and I’m also sorry for the tensions they’ve created in some forums on BGG. It truly is my goal for our games to bring joy to people, not frustration or ire. Thank you for constructively pushing me and Stonemaier Games to be better.

Despite these mistakes, I genuinely hope you give Wingspan a try over the next few months. I look forward to seeing your stories, strategies, photos, and questions on BoardGameGeek, the Wingspan Facebook group, and Instagram.

--Jamey Stegmaier
[updated to add 401 Games and Guf]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nim Chimpsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jamey!

Does anyone (Jamey or other) know whether the 1st printing is just for people who ordered directly from Stonemaier Games, or will those copies also be hitting FLGS/OLGS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Gray
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stonemaier Games going above and beyond as always. The customer service and generosity to your fans will continue to amaze me. Proud to be a champion, ambassador and fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We sold half of the first printing directly, and the other half went to distributors. Those copies will be the ones that retailers are allowed to hand over to customers on March 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeStefano
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jamey, that is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Aldrich
United States
Newfields
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Twitch.tv/Robust_Porter
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had this game less than a week and it has been a joy to play both with a group and with the Automa. While a lot of folks have taken their energy to the internet to voice "concerns" about some misspellings, I have been enjoying the game, adding some customized pieces (see images for this game) and teaching new gamers the game.

Sure I'll grab the update pack whenever it comes out, but for those who think this is a big deal I can tell you it really isn't. Enjoy the game, enjoy the time with the friends and family you play this game with and spread the good word about this game!

As always, thanks for the constant communication, Jamey!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for handling this in the best possible way in terms of attitude, physical materials, and process improvements. Your stellar record of customer service continues unabated.

What will the notification method(s) be for when the update packs are in at MeepleSource? Will you post an update here, newsletter, etc.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When the update packs are available, I will notify all direct preorder customers, I'll mention it in this thread, and I'll note it on our general e-newsletter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmb
Awesome news. Is there any way to sign up for a notification of when these will be available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jamey.

As always, Stonemaier setting the bar on customer care!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fear: You can subscribe to this thread or join our e-newsletter for a few months (https://stonemaiergames.com/e-newsletter/).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Thomas
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad that there will be an upgrade/correction pack, looking forward to picking it up when it becomes available!

Will it come in a booster pack like Magic cards?

A cool little box like the Scythe encounters?

Rubber banded and stuck in an envelope that's closed with a bird sticker?

Packaging matters! (even if it'll be immediately discarded lol)

also /s if that wasn't abundantly clear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's customer service....thank you! My preorder arrived today and is ready for its first solo session tonight. Looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Will it come in a booster pack like Magic cards?"

I actually think Panda might package it in something like that, but clear. So maybe close your eyes when you open it so it feels more like a Magic booster?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vnze
Belgium
Aarschot
flag msg tools
I preordered at my FLGS and expect this game to be a second wave game. To my understanding the second wave still contains some errors, are those spelling errors or also one (or both) of the gameplay errors?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice to hear, and looking forward to getting them. We've been absolutely loving the game so far, its so so good!

I do hope tho that when the new cards are printed, they manage to match the back of the card exactly color-wise. So many times you have games that come out with an expansion or some small pack of cards, and they are super easy to distinguish once you mix them in.

If not and you can tell them apart, I will prob pass, as I cant help but see the differences when it comes to this situation. Ive often had to buy solid back card sleeves to conceal the shading difference or worse case, draw cards from the bottom of the deck when needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I preordered at my FLGS and expect this game to be a second wave game. To my understanding the second wave still contains some errors, are those spelling errors or also one (or both) of the gameplay errors?"

The main error I'm aware of in the second printing is the "betweeen" issue.

"I do hope tho that when the new cards are printed, they manage to match the back of the card exactly color-wise."

This is somewhat out of our control, but that is certainly the goal. From a publishing perspective, we try to use basic card backs with basic colors, which allows for better consistency from one print run to the next. But beyond that, inks and paper often have very, very slight changes over time (despite the manufacturer's best efforts).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wheatcroft
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for doing this, it is certainly appreciated as you can tell! Any idea of how the 'buying' of these packs will work? Will we need proof of purchase to order them so that they aren't being ordered by people without the game and therefore stocks run out? I know that might sound stupid as to why someone would do that, but you never know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan: Anyone will be able to go to the Meeplesource or BGE website. You can put the item in your card for free (or basically the lowest cost their e-commerce platforms will allow--it may be $0.01), and then you can either pay for shipping or you can add other stuff to your cart.

It's possible that the stock will run out, but if it does, we'll make more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McKenzie
msg tools
Hi Jamey, really enjoying this latest SG production, beautiful game, my family and I are really enjoying the gameplay, production, and of course the awesome bird art and facts! The typos don't bother me at all, they are quite unsubstantial in the grand scheme of the game.
Thanks again for another great game!
Game On!
Kevin McKenzie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Life is not a game - games are life.
badge
You learn more about a person in an hour of gaming than you do in a year of conversation.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've said it before, I'll say it again and it probably doesn't even need to be said but Jamey is a Legend and a Saint in this industry. I have followed and supported Jamey and Stonemaier Games since the first Viticulture Kickstarter. Jamey's effort and customer care has always gone above-and-beyond what is expected or standard in this industry. Stonemaier's games all have excellent production quality and you can tell that Jamey and co. truly care about their games. It is evident that he puts a piece of his heart into every single one of these components. That is why I still follow and support Stonemaier Games to this day.

By the way, as to Wingspan:

I opened the box the day I received it and laid all of the components out on the table to absorb and appreciate their majesty... and I ended up playing 3 solo games. I was hooked. It is a super fun and engaging solo game and I'm sure it will be even better when I play it with my wife this weekend.

Thanks for taking care of us with this update pack. You went above-and-beyond and we all appreciate it immensely.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Leedham
Australia
Croydon Park
South Australia
flag msg tools
Except that one time I played a rose...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Jonathan: Anyone will be able to go to the Meeplesource or BGE website. You can put the item in your card for free (or basically the lowest cost their e-commerce platforms will allow--it may be $0.01), and then you can either pay for shipping or you can add other stuff to your cart.

It's possible that the stock will run out, but if it does, we'll make more.

Hi Jamey, will the packaging be minimal to assist with "cheap" shipping to Australia and other far flung places? Cards in a plastic wrapping will be great if it means it fits in a padded envelope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CabbageKing
United States
Clarkston
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my preorder yesterday and have already been thrilled with the gameplay, art, and components. The typos have not bothered me too much in my 2 plays, but I greatly appreciate this care for us, your appreciative customers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Hi Jamey, will the packaging be minimal to assist with "cheap" shipping to Australia and other far flung places? Cards in a plastic wrapping will be great if it means it fits in a padded envelope."

Bryce, the packaging should be minimal, as we're trying to keep shipping costs down as much as possible. Shipping 26 cards is certainly more expensive than the original plan of shipping somewhere between 2 and 10 cards, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really cool. I preordered a copy for our college library, and our biology (bird) professor is very excited. Now, when we get the card update pack, I can use the errant cards as decorations in my office. Woohoo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] |