Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Duchesne
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
davymast wrote:
blackgandorf wrote:
Since the main edition of the game is the English version, will these typos appear in the editions in other languages?

Answered above -- no -- it was actually the translators who caught many of the typos in the English edition (though the English edition had already gone to print at this point).

You are wrong i think. No way the translators found out about the 2 birds that affect gameplay like the one providing 4 vp instead of 5 and also the other bird with the wrong art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M

Chapel Hill
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Wingspan for the first time last night and I can confirm that these issues are so small that none of us even noticed them, despite knowing they exist. We did double-check at the end of the game if anyone had the affected bird in their aviary in order to adjust points, but no one did.

I think releasing the replacement card pack is an excellent solution (because of course I understand that everyone has a right to a proper copy of the game) and I applaud Stonemaier for doing the right thing.

I definitely wouldn't put off buying the game just because of these print issues. Frankly, you can just temporarily write on the cards to fix them (or if that scares you, add a piece of paper with the correction & sleeve all the cards) and then replace them when the replacement pack comes out.

Also - can there be an option to submit a donation to help cover shipping/printing costs? Several other games have offered replacements for free but disclosed the associated costs and allowed people to donate if they want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Since the main edition of the game is the English version, will these typos appear in the editions in other languages?"

Rodro: Not if they were translated correctly. The translators were actually a huge help in catching some of these inconsistencies. I don't think they caught the 1 VP error (it's amazing that anyone ever caught that), nor do I think they caught the duplicated art error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Also - can there be an option to submit a donation to help cover shipping/printing costs?"

I appreciate you asking about that, but I see that as our responsibility. You'll still incur a shipping cost from the retailer, but you could support that retailer by buying something else (which absorbs the shipping cost).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ron watkins
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no issues with the typos since I knew to expect at least a small number in the first printing. The fact that a file containing corrected card images is available in the Wingspan section of the SM website helps a bunch. We have seen an example of great transparency throughout the whole process of Wingspan's development which is greatly appreciated.
However, my desire to have the most recent printing of games in my home collection will drive me to pick up a copy of the 3rd printing in mid-May which will see this first printing (upgraded cards inserted) gifted or donated to a new home :).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have more good news: Guf (a retailer in Australia) has offered to serve the Australia/NZ community in the same way that Meeplesource, Board Game Extras, and 401 Games are serving their areas in regards to the update pack. This will significantly reduce the shipping costs for first-printing Wingspanners in Australia/NZ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Leedham
Australia
Croydon Park
South Australia
flag msg tools
Except that one time I played a rose...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
I have more good news: Guf (a retailer in Australia) has offered to serve the Australia/NZ community in the same way that Meeplesource, Board Game Extras, and 401 Games are serving their areas in regards to the update pack. This will significantly reduce the shipping costs for first-printing Wingspanners in Australia/NZ.

Thank you so much for the effort in arranging this, I and others in Australia are very appreciative, given the ridiculous costs of overseas postage here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
Australia
Treeby
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mb
jameystegmaier wrote:

What a legend! Huge thanks to Mark from GUF for making this possible.
Now we just have to wait

GUF seems to be a rising star in Board Game online retailer late 2018, and still going strong with awesome prices and exceptional service! Go and check it out and support them.

Thank you Jamey for this wonderful news update!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint
Australia
flag msg tools
jameystegmaier wrote:

Fantastic! Thanks, Jamey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
and Solo Playtester too ^^
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

Awesome news
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin McGruddy
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jameystegmaier wrote:

That's fantastic thanks Jamey!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve T
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

Thanks very much Jamey & Guf! It's really appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Carrein
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hi Jamey

I was happy to see that there will also be a Dutch version with 999games. Will the same errors show up in the Dutch version?

tnx
Jeroen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Dionne
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
"Since the main edition of the game is the English version, will these typos appear in the editions in other languages?"

Rodro: Not if they were translated correctly. The translators were actually a huge help in catching some of these inconsistencies. I don't think they caught the 1 VP error (it's amazing that anyone ever caught that), nor do I think they caught the duplicated art error.

Jamey's quote just a few posts above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul troke
United Kingdom
hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
The Beatles Live at the BBC
mbmbmbmbmb
Should the Peregrine Falcon,Golden Eagle, and Great Horned Qwl
also have the text if not discard on it,although it's not a big deal
just remembering to discard any card that doesn't fit the criteria.
great looking game although i did manage to mess up the bird box dice tower
despite the instructions,luckily like the errors on the cards has no impact on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul: Right, for all those cards, the cards drawn should be discarded if they don't meet the criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hell
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Typos
Excuse my ignorance, but I only scanned these four pages, so excuse me if I missed this question being answered already.

I pre-ordered my copy which is supposed to deliver in early March. I saw where Mr Stegmaier mentioned March 8th, but I am unclear; Will those copies need the replacement cards to fix the errors?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Paul: Right, for all those cards, the cards drawn should be discarded if they don't meet the criteria.
Can you choose 1 of the 3 face up birds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Gray
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paxton73 wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:
Can you choose 1 of the 3 face up birds?

Yes. Unless the card specifically says draw from the deck, whenever drawing cards you have a choice between the 3 fave up cards and the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Topol
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Quote:
• Rodentologist (bonus card): missing clarification about rodent-specific food costs

So, just to clarify, the Rodentologist should say "Birds that eat 🐁" at the top?

And then "Any bird with a 🐁 symbol. The bird may also eat other kinds of food." at the bottom?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I pre-ordered my copy which is supposed to deliver in early March. I saw where Mr Stegmaier mentioned March 8th, but I am unclear; Will those copies need the replacement cards to fix the errors?"

If you get your copy in March or earlier, it is a first-run copy and has the errors mentioned in this post. All copies of Wingspan are perfectly playable and functional; you can decide if you need the update pack.

"So, just to clarify, the Rodentologist should say "Birds that eat 🐁" at the top?"

Here is what the correct Rodentologist looks like:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob D
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pure class.

I will get the fixes, but I will not replace the cards with the extra "e's." For those in the United States that are old like me..remember the Al Leiter baseball card with the error? Who wanted the correct one? The betwEEEEn cards have that certain charm and I will keep them. But I'm very happy to have the cards that affect game play. Cheers! Love the game and will spread the word like the bird flu!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Mobile Armoured Strike Kommand
badge
MASK Crusaders... working overtime... fighting crime... fighting crime!!! Secret Raiders...
mbmbmbmbmb
That's quite a few errors - ouch.
This is why sometimes its not so bad to wait for later print runs.
thumbsup to Jamey for making available a correction pack!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonester W
Canada
Bradford
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
budsticky wrote:
Pure class.

I will get the fixes, but I will not replace the cards with the extra "e's." For those in the United States that are old like me..remember the Al Leiter baseball card with the error? Who wanted the correct one? The betwEEEEn cards have that certain charm and I will keep them. But I'm very happy to have the cards that affect game play. Cheers! Love the game and will spread the word like the bird flu!

WOW an Al Leiter reference! Loved that dude! Will never forget his double in game 3 of the world series where my beloved Blue Jays ultimately won. My dad told me how awesome it was for a pitcher to do so. I believe it was his first ML at bat too! Memories.. haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I missed out on this so I will be keeping an eye out for the next pre-order date for the next printing. Will there be any differences in components for the next printing? Anything left out, or will it be the exact same (minus the errors)?

Also wanted to say I'm very impressed with how you handled this situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [13] |