Charles Dionne
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rilos wrote:
I missed out on this so I will be keeping an eye out for the next pre-order date for the next printing. Will there be any differences in components for the next printing? Anything left out, or will it be the exact same (minus the errors)?

Also wanted to say I'm very impressed with how you handled this situation.

Components will be the same, except for the corrected cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Will there be any differences in components for the third printing? Anything left out, or will it be the exact same (minus the errors)?"

Nope, same game, just without the errors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skazz of Discworld
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
"Will there be any differences in components for the third printing? Anything left out, or will it be the exact same (minus the errors)?"

Nope, same game, just without the errors.

No errors, just game variants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Over the last few weeks, it’s been exciting to see some of our preorder customers receive and start to play their copies of Wingspan. I’m particularly excited for Elizabeth Hargrave, as this is her first published game. And I’m excited for all the people—artists, playtesters, proofreaders, translators, our graphic designer, our manufacturer, myself, etc—who spent their time, energy, and love bringing this game to life. I hope all that care and attention is evident when you open your copy of Wingspan, see the component quality and the art, and experience the card-driven, engine-building gameplay for the first time.

However, despite all of this care and attention, some mistakes slipped through the cracks. Fortunately, only 2 of those mistakes impact gameplay, and they’re so small that you probably wouldn’t notice them if you didn’t read about them online. There are others (mostly misspellings) that were missed by several proofreaders, including myself. In the end, all revisions come through me, and I take full responsibility for these errors. I will significantly bulk up our proofreading process at multiple stages on future projects, so this doesn’t happen again.

Of course, this doesn’t help anyone who bought a first-printing copy of Wingspan. For some of you, the typos might not bother you at all (some are very subtle). For anyone who would like a “perfect” set of cards, though, I’ve decided to print an update pack at our expense that we will make available for free from Meeplesource (US), Board Game Extras (UK), 401 Games (Canada), and Guf (Australia). We selected these two vendors because of our existing relationships with them and because they have the flexibility and generosity to offer this product for free (shipping isn’t included, but if you add them to another order, you won’t pay anything for the update pack). It will take a few months to print it, but please don’t let that stop you from playing Wingspan in the meantime. (As an aside, most of these errors were fixed in the second printing, due in stores in early April, and all of them were fixed in the third printing, due in stores in mid-May.)

The update pack will include the following cards:

Gameplay Impact

• Photographer (bonus card): The requirement for the 3-VP bonus should be 4-5 birds, not 2-3 birds.
• Spotted Sandpiper: Should be worth 5 VP, not 4 VP.

Art Impact

• Cassin's Finch: has the same art as Cassin’s Sparrow

Incomplete Descriptions

• Anatomist (bonus card): missing “crown”
• Rodentologist (bonus card): missing clarification about rodent-specific food costs
• Northern Harrier, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-Shouldered Hawk, Barred Owl, and Swainson’s Hawk: missing the text “If not, discard it.”

Misspellings

• Oologist (bonus card): this is spelled “ooligist” on the card
• Ecologist (bonus card): this has “brids” in the explanatory text
• Brewer’s Blackbird: this has “ooligist” in the flavor text
• Trumpeter Swan: this is spelled “trumpter” on the card
• Loggerhead Shrike, American Avocet, Brown-Headed Cowbird, Yellow-Billed, Cuckoo, Bronzed Cowbird, Barrow’s Goldeneye, Eastern Kingbird, Belted Kingfisher, Turkey Vulture, Black-Billed Magpie, Black Vulture, Horned Lark: these all have “betweeen” instead of “between”

I’m very sorry that I missed these errors, and I’m also sorry for the tensions they’ve created in some forums on BGG. It truly is my goal for our games to bring joy to people, not frustration or ire. Thank you for constructively pushing me and Stonemaier Games to be better.

Despite these mistakes, I genuinely hope you give Wingspan a try over the next few months. I look forward to seeing your stories, strategies, photos, and questions on BoardGameGeek, the Wingspan Facebook group, and Instagram.

--Jamey Stegmaier
[updated to add 401 Games and Guf]

I played an English Wingspan prototype a week ago I noticed that Turkey isn't mentioned in summary on Geographer goal. I will probably play/buy Polish version where many goals based ob birds' names will be redesigned so it will probaly deosn't matter for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
Australia
Bunbury
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
I have more good news: Guf (a retailer in Australia) has offered to serve the Australia/NZ community in the same way that Meeplesource, Board Game Extras, and 401 Games are serving their areas in regards to the update pack. This will significantly reduce the shipping costs for first-printing Wingspanners in Australia/NZ.

Brilliant news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nemspy wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:
I have more good news: Guf (a retailer in Australia) has offered to serve the Australia/NZ community in the same way that Meeplesource, Board Game Extras, and 401 Games are serving their areas in regards to the update pack. This will significantly reduce the shipping costs for first-printing Wingspanners in Australia/NZ.

Brilliant news.

I’m curious if there’s a plan to minimize opportunists from collecting multiple copies of the update pack to sell at a premium on Ebay, etc... All too real scenario in this day and age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hell
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
I’m curious if there’s a plan to minimize opportunists from collecting multiple copies of the update pack to sell at a premium on Ebay, etc... All too real scenario in this day and age.

Ye Olde Proofe of Purchase
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wheatcroft
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Astromags wrote:
skyzero wrote:

Ye Olde Proofe of Purchase

Apparently not. I asked exactly that question and the answer was simply that they would print extra copies if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct; we're using the honor system--no proof of purchase is necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive got a copy on preorder from board games extras in the UK. Is this likely to be a version with the errors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
silvermandus wrote:
Ive got a copy on preorder from board games extras in the UK. Is this likely to be a version with the errors?
This will be a 1st printing with errors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get a copy of Wingspan in March or earlier, it is a first printing copy. Based on everything I've heard from people who have played the game so far, though, it is highly unlikely to impact your experience, and you'll be able to get the 26-card update pack soon after if you want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks to both of you for such a quick reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter L
Canada
Markham
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So ... Here in Canada, I get this update by going to 401 Games and ask them about it? Or I go to Stonemaier website? Sorry .... Just a little slow about how to get this correction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Heimlich
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very appreciated move by you guys as I'm OCD and this will drive me nuts. Many years back I jumped in on a first printing of a MAJOR game that had misprinted player mats that negatively impacted play. When I asked about corrected mats the company owner literally attacked me verbally suggesting that anyone "dumb enough" to buy a first-printing deserved what they got. Gee, so glad I supported that game and company (this was before Kickstarter).

I've never forgotten this life lesson: Loyalty is not borne out of experiences that go well. Loyalty is borne out of the response when things go wrong. People expect things to go right so when they do go right, that's simply normal. When things go wrong, if the company does something supportive with their customers in response customers tend to remember that for years to come. I've seen that play out countless times in my life -- and suspect it will happen here as well.

Thanks. Oh, and even though that other publisher produced MANY more games, I never bought another one from them, passing up some big titles in the meantime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Edge

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my copy yesterday, played 3 games and did not notice the errors on the cards (these were 2 player and solo mode games ... I didn't get to all the cards). Even so, I'm glad to be subscribed to this thread so that when the update pack is ready, I can get the improved set.

BTW, this is a set of 170 unique bird cards and 20-some unique goal cards + Automa .... Staring at the deck I was impressed that the errors were so few. I, like many, would prefer the "perfect" game from first printing on, but I also have a sense of how much work goes into editing and proof-reading different media ... and there are still errors. We see this in continuity errors for movies, typos in books (I just finished a book with numerous typos from a known publisher), and yes, errors in the cards of a game.

I am ecstatic to see the Stonemaier response to the outcry, but wanted to add my two cents that their work has been phenomenal and errors appear throughout media all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Based on everything I've heard from people who have played the game so far, though, it is highly unlikely to impact your experience

The error on the Photographer card is obvious; my daughter: "What happens if you get 4-5 birds?" But, precisely because it's so noticeable, it doesn't really impact play, assuming you know to check online for errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt: That's interesting. Before I realized it was an error, we simply played the Photographer card as it was written. As written, it's basically saying that you get a few points for a small number of a certain card, and then you can stop focusing on that type of card or really focus on it to get to the next point level. Lots of set-collection games have this, so I didn't think twice about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Matt: That's interesting. Before I realized it was an error, we simply played the Photographer card as it was written. As written, it's basically saying that you get a few points for a small number of a certain card, and then you can stop focusing on that type of card or really focus on it to get to the next point level. Lots of set-collection games have this, so I didn't think twice about it.

Oh totally, but my kids are very literal. She thought it might mean 2-3=3 points, 4-5=0 points, 6+=6 points. She had 4 and thought she might have screwed up the bonus by going over 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Played this game at a game night and it was amazing!

Preordered it from milan-spiele.de(German site) to get in March. Now, where do you I get the upgrade pack from an EU shop? Nothing against Board Game Extras in particular, but I don't want the package to be stuck due to possible Brexit fuckups.

Additional Question:
I did not preorder in January because of the high shipping rates between US and Germany. Now I read
Quote:
During the preorder period of January 2-8, we offer the $6 discount, a guarantee that you’ll get a copy, and friendly shipping from Canada and the UK.
Did I just miss the option on Shopify, was the option "ship from UK" added later or do I just misunderstood this sentence? Source: https://stonemaiergames.com/the-wingspan-preorder-stats-mist...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
and Solo Playtester too ^^
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The corrections pack will be listed once it has been printed - I don't believe it will be available until April.

For the shipping from UK/Canada - I believe that all was handled automatically by the shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay: We shipped all preorders placed from Jan 2-8 from fulfillment centers in the US, Canada, and the UK (for Europe). That was true from the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hell
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! That’s me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lindqvist
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hi!
Would be great if you could add these cards to a future expansion pack! Rhe shipping cost from the distributors you have choosen are very high, even higher when ordering more stuff. I am sure I want a perfect pack of cards and I am also sure that I will buy the future expansion packs.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Collins
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
CF Vapors - Alternative to Smoking
mbmbmbmbmb
Had the opportunity to play this one at Geekway Mini in STL - it was by far the hottest title at the convention! Jamey - Thanks for bringing a few copies to play!

We played 5-player game twice and can't recall ever noticing any of the aforementioned typos, but greatly appreciate the accountability and leadership courage of Stonemaier to make it right.

Couple questions as I have not made a purchase for Wingspan yet:

When should I start to look for a copy (2nd or 3rd printing) from my local FLGS?

Will there be an opportunity to purchase additional eggs as a standalone component? - in both of our 5-player games we ran out of eggs (and used replacements per instructions). Would love to purchase some extra eggs for larger player count games in the future and not lose a little flavor at end-game having to find replacements.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [13] |