BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » Werewolf

Subject: A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Opprobrious Opening rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Madeline B
msg tools
No mountains, no valleys
badge
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience.
mbmbmbmbmb
The name "Cassandra" can sometimes refer to a figure in Greek mythology who was blessed with the gift of prophecy, but cursed to have no one believe her, and found herself unable to prevent doom and tragedy that fell upon the city of Troy. In other circumstances, it can refer to a website that allows users to signup for social deduction play by forum games.

Although I do not have the gift of prophecy, I sternly urge you not to proceed further. If you enjoy standard victory conditions, results posted immediately following deadlines, or moderators rich in nuanced empathy and complex social understanding, you will find here only misery and woe. You would be much better off browsing Cassandra to find some other game more to your tastes. If, however, you persist in reading further, you will uncover the violent and turbulent story in the first portion of the Baudelaire siblings' unfortunate saga.

~Lemony Snicket
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madeline B
msg tools
No mountains, no valleys
badge
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience.
mbmbmbmbmb
Victory Conditions:

Good wins if the two werewolves (Count Olaf and the Hook-Handed Henchman) are dead.

Evil wins if the three Baudelaires are dead. This is a VIP game, note the non-standard win condition!

---

Good Roles:

Violet Baudelaire (Governor): Adept at creating and manipulating mechanical devices. Once per game, Violet can override the lynch target and excute a player of her choice.

Klaus Baudelaire (Alignment Seer): A scholar and researcher. Every night, beginning N1, Klaus can view a player to learn their alignment (good or evil).

Sunny Baudelaire (Vigilante): She may be small, but she bites. Once per game, as a night action, may kill any player.

Seven villagers: They have no special powers and are each told they are "villager;" upon death, will reveal as a named minor character (only for flavor).

Evil Roles:

Count Olaf (Slippery Werewolf): A master of disguises, seeking to get his hands on the Baudelaires' fortune. The first vote against him in the final tally may be ignored. (Edit: Olaf can choose to override this as a day action.)

Hook-Handed Henchman: (Vote Manip Werewolf) He may not be particularly dextrous, but he packs a punch. Can cast an extra, secret vote each day.

Georgina Orwell (Sorcerer): She's got her eye on you! Views every night for full role, beginning N1.

---

Full reveal on death. Tiebreaker is LHLV.

I'm open to balance suggestions before the game begins. (My original draft had one fewer villager, but I mentally intended the game to begin with an odd number of players, and thirteen is a thematically appropriate number.)

Deadlines

Dusk/no posting: 8 PM BGG time
Lynch results posted: by 8:15
Dawn/no posting: 9 PM BGG time
Nightkill results posted: by 9:15

This affords players at least 45 minutes to input night orders, while allowing me the opportunity to improvise dismal and dreary flavor text should the need arise.

Happy to adjust this somewhat if there is strong desire, but my preference is for a night game (BGG time).

Interactions/Edge Cases

If all werewolves and good specials are dead (possible if the last werewolf dies to a vigilante shot at night), the game ends in a tie.

If Violet governors the lynch to someone who is not in lynch lead, but would be lynched anyway due to vote manipulation power, the governor ability is lost.

Nightfall is enabled, but while vote manipulation/governor powers are in play, all players must check in before the day can end.

Nobody receives any information on night 0.

Madeline's rules

This game may contain spoilers for the first season of the television series (corresponding to the first four books). The roleset is completely public and open, with no additional information beyond the hidden villager names. It is my intention that you do not need to be familiar with the source material to play this game. If you have questions, ask!

"[Werewolf] is a game in which you have 2 opponents: the other player[s] and the [game]. Please accord both their due respect and consideration."

If you wouldn't do it in a no-meta game, think twice before doing it here. Behavior implying some players should be held to different rules than others, and excessive emotional volatility, are strongly discouraged.

The standard werewolf rules apply. No size-0 text, no out of game promises, no deleting posts. Once again, if you have questions, ask!

I do not want to delete chats. If you wouldn't share it with the Cassandra community at large, please don't post it in chat.

Play for your team to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
Ant0kneeguy
Aumerle
BerenCamlost
cvb2009
dbmurph22
dejojam1
DIGGITYDAWGDUBS
DMDupree
Felice Si
Kortemaki
ortho_
Rhanddom
xandryyte

13 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://cassandrawerewolf.com/game/2132839

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abernathy
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
...magic
badge
I have no idea what I'm doing
mbmbmbmbmb
Do any of the Baudelaire's or the villagers know each other? That's the standard in VIPs, without it this role set reads like a 13er where evil wins when the GSs are dead, which seems like a fairly easy win con.

Edit: I say that's the standard like I've ever even played a VIP game, but at first glance that's my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madeline B
msg tools
No mountains, no valleys
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryagic wrote:
Do any of the Baudelaire's or the villagers know each other? That's the standard in VIPs, without it this role set reads like a 13er where evil wins when the GSs are dead, which seems like a fairly easy win con.
Not as written, no.

It's possible we're using the term VIP somewhat differently? I was thinking of something like Ender's Game where most of the goods didn't know each other either.

Evil has fewer players than a standard 13er and good has extra KP, which I think makes both teams fragile. But again, I may be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
With Trigun being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably be murdalated.
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
madelineb wrote:
Ryagic wrote:
Not as written, no.

It's possible we're using the term VIP somewhat differently? I was thinking of something like Ender's Game where most of the goods didn't know each other either.

Evil has fewer players than a standard 13er and good has extra KP, which I think makes both teams fragile. But again, I may be wrong.

I think the thing that made enders game work so well was that the only sorcerer type role was an aux. The ratio doesn't bother me as much, I don't think. I think maybe if Olaf was the roleblocker and you reworked the Henchlady that it might work better? I also think giving the aux a chance to become informed is good in sets like this.

VIP games are definitely different and require a different mindset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madeline B
msg tools
No mountains, no valleys
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aux could be changed to a full role sorc, either by viewing, or maybe where their vote lands/random role sorc? For thematic reasons I would probably rename them to Georgina Orwell in that case because of getting views, nyuk nyuk.

Trickier to think of a good thematic alternative for Olaf. First vote against him doesn't count, mirroring the other vote manip power? Too similar to Ender's Game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It is with deep regret that I have signed up with Cassandra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madeline B
msg tools
No mountains, no valleys
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my lamentable duty to inform you that, if two other poor souls sign up to this game in the ensuing weekend, we will endeavor to get check-ins and begin with a first lynch on the night of Monday the 8th. If this eventuality does not occur, perhaps because you are doing something safer like skinny-dipping with starts, I will schedule it to begin the week of August 5 on Cassandra, as duties necessitated with my being on the run from several secret organizations and the law would make it less feasible to run in intervening weeks. Thank you for your consideration.

Edit: Pursuant to discussion, the evil roles have been edited slightly! Please see the role list for the new Count Olaf/Georgina Orwell and let me know if you have any feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume skinny-dipping with starts is an unfortunate typo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madeline B
msg tools
No mountains, no valleys
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dejojam1 wrote:
I assume skinny-dipping with starts is an unfortunate typo?
I meant with sharks. My typewriter has been set upon by an angry mob.

That or I'm getting a head start on my lipogramming but that's a saga for another time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fischer
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madelineb wrote:

Edit: Pursuant to discussion, the evil roles have been edited slightly! Please see the role list for the new Count Olaf/Georgina Orwell and let me know if you have any feedback.

madelineb wrote:
The first vote against him (Count Olaf) in the final tally is ignored.

Please explain. What do you mean by the final tally:
1 Is that F3, or
2 the everyday tally, or
3 something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madeline B
msg tools
No mountains, no valleys
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
backpacker wrote:
madelineb wrote:

madelineb wrote:

Please explain. What do you mean by the final tally:
1 Is that F3, or
2 the everyday tally, or
3 something else?
the tally at the end of each day, ignoring votes that moved away from him earlier on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fischer
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madelineb wrote:
madelineb wrote:
the tally at the end of each day, ignoring votes that moved away from him earlier on.

We/Cassie already ignore votes that moved away from everybody earlier on.
Is this the fancy way of saying that if x votes end up on Count Olaf, it only counts as (x-1) votes? So if he's ever tied for LL, he's not in the lead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
backpacker wrote:
madelineb wrote:
madelineb wrote:

Is this the fancy way of saying that if x votes end up on Count Olaf, it only counts as (x-1) votes? So if he's ever tied for LL, he's not in the lead?

I'm pretty sure that is what it means.

The reason for the phrasing is, I believe, that if it just says 'the first vote against' it sounds like it could mean the very first vote that was made against that person, which may or may not still be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madeline B
msg tools
No mountains, no valleys
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
backpacker wrote:
madelineb wrote:
madelineb wrote:

yes, that's what I meant. The reason for the weird phrasing is because it shouldn't factor into lhlv, but that's a simpler way of putting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Count Olaf? You Baudelaire children think you see him everywhere. Remember when you were staying with your Uncle Monty? You were convinced that his assistant Stefano was actually Count Olaf in disguise!

Stefano was actually Count Olaf in disguise.

Not the point. Now, I have to go to Texas to search for the Quagmire twins, I can't stay here because you think you saw Count Olaf.

The Quagmire's are triplets.

No, Violet. They're twins. The death of their brother changes their birth identity.

No, it doesn't.

tl;dr I'm signed up for Texas Werewolf and don't think I'll be able to handle both games at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelci
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madeline B
msg tools
No mountains, no valleys
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The phrase "brotherly love" has many meanings. It can refer to a spirit of neighborliness towards one's fellow human, a spirit which I no longer possess since my faith in humanity has been eroded. It can refer to affection for one's male sibling, which I also no longer express since I faked my death and went underground. Moreover, it us an epithet for a city in eastern North America, where my duties have called me to for the near future. Therefore, although we are full, I have no intention of beginning this game before its advertised date, and will send out notifications/confirmation checks closer to that time. Many thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madeline B
msg tools
No mountains, no valleys
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my dismal responsibility to inform you that, thanks to many earnest and well-intentioned volunteers whose spirits have yet to be shattered, this game is now full; it will dawn on Sunday with the first demise Monday at 8 pm BGG.

In the somewhat likely event we reach a third day of proceedings (Wednesday), there is a chance I may need to seek an assistant narrator and/or slightly postpone dusk and dawn deadlines, as I have been invited to witness a corny and poorly-plotted revue of musical theater with close family members. In either case you will have ample time between the resolution of lynch and night action deadlines.

In the meantime, I invite you to review "Madeline's rules," as I would hope that the only excesses of emotions caused here are from the in-game death and destruction that I am about to rain down on you, and no other reason.

Worst of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelci
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Announcement: I will be role playing as Count Olaf, regardless of my actual role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
“Good-bye and hello, as always.”
badge
“I saw my earlier selves as different people, acquaintances I had outgrown. I wondered how I could ever have been some of them.” ― Roger Zelazny, The Courts of Chaos
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s okay Mads, my spirit was shattered long ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...---...
Canada
flag msg tools
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon? Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were any use at RP I'd do Aunt Josephine. I loved Meryl Streep in that role.heart

When my youngest nephew was a child I was checking out some books in a shop and came across this series. At the time there were just a couple. I kept buying the series for him as long as he was still interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like the idea of us RP'ing characters regardless of our actual roles, because in the event that we die and are revealed as another character, it'll be because we were that character IN DISGUISE!

(I bagsy Mr. Poe!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eeyore
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a terrible way to read Korte FWIW.
badge
Korte is STILL a black hole on d3.
mbmbmbmbmb
night zero

no one to vote

and no hope of things getting better

sounds like saturday night at my house

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [48] |