Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D. Quinn Nix
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't it be awesome if you could combine the two games, Titan and Age of Mythology? That is, Titan's battle system, combined with everything else from Age of Mythology!

The game would mostly be AoM, unchanged. You'd continue using AoM's individual player's boards, resource cubes, resource tiles, city tiles, and action cards. And, of course, you'd also continue using AoM's three cultures (Norse, Egyptian, Greek), along with the fantastic miniatures for each culture. The resource costs for these units would be unchanged. Battles would continue to be initiated by a player with an "Attack" action card.

However, once initiated, battles would be played out on a battle board, similar to those in Titan. The battle board to use for a particular engagement would be determined by the area attacked: Fertile, Forest, Hills, Mountains, Desert, or Swamp, for attacks on a player's resource area containing those respective tiles; City, for attacks on a player's city area; or Plains, for attacks on no particular area, to seize a player's resource cubes.

Certain units would have "native terrain", which would give them a defense bonus when in a hex of that terrain type, and for which they wouldn't have to pay an additional movement cost when moving into that terrain type.

When defending a resource area protected by a wall or tower, a special 6- or 8-hex overlay representing the tower or the city walls, respectively, would be placed on the battle board.

All of the stats and some of the abilities of the AoM units, along with the combat rules themselves, would have to be dramatically changed to incorporate Titan-like battles. Still, the original purpose and functionality of the AoM units would be retained.

Of course, this would increase the playing time of a typical 3-player game of AoM by about an hour. Even so, it would be much quicker than a typical game of Titan. And a 3-4 hour game among three wargamers is quite reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Re:Titan combined with Age of Mythology!
Cynosure (#37572),

Now THAT sounds interesting. I think it would increase the time by more than an hour though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Quinn Nix
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? When I played Titan, it wasn't the battles that took so long, but each player taking his turn plotting out, maximizing, and moving his legion stacks around the main "strategy" board.

BTW: When playing a 4- or 6-player game, one way to decrease "down time" among inactive players while active players battle it out is to allow both players on a team to contribute units to a battle. Because there are two different colors for each culture's units, it's easy to tell one teammate's units from the other's, on the battle board.

Example: If Norse player #1 initiaties a battle with an "Attack (7)" card, then Norse player #2 can contribute up to 3 (half of 7, rounded down) units to the battle. Then, during the battle, all players with units engaged in the battle take turns moving and attacking with their own units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmbmbmb
Cynosure (#37572),There is a link on the Titan page that combines Yaquintos game Mythology with Titan (mytho-titan) variant) but it looks rather cumbersome.

But to answer your article, yes it would be way cool, I actually started making battle lands on pieces of wood and used scenery from a train store for the bramble and the trees etc..., I only made a brush and a woods but they came rather nice. I was then going to go in search of miniatures and make an army in order to play out the battle scenes in mini form but my search for just the right cyclops (or enough of them), ogre, serpent etc... came up short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.