Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach M
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Estates is a 2018 game from designer Klaus Zoch, with art from Daan Van Paridon and published by Capstone Games.

In the estates, you are investors trying to make money by developing completed building rows on the board. Buildings are completed when they fill up the required area, and all have roofs(don't want that rain getting in). If you have looked at the board though, there are three rows, AND extentions to make rows extra long. With only 12 roofs, there are serious possibilities on have one two or even three uncompleted building rows at the end of the game.

But how do you get points for buildings? Well, on your turn you will choose something to put up for bid, usually a building piece. There are 6 different building colors, and the first person to place each gets control of that color. That means(for better and usually worse) you score on your controlled buildings at the end.

But how do you get control of a building? Well, each of the building blocks have a number, 1-6, and only lower numbers can be placed on top of bigger numbers, with whoever's block is on top is in control of the entire building. One way to maintain control(and to complete a building) is to put a roof on top of it.

If you have played this game, or its previous incarnation Neue Heimat, put down your feelings below and we will talk about them on the review. Put any reactions to this or the main episode as well and we will talk about it at a later point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blount
United States
Atascadero
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the older Neue Helmat several times and loved it so much that even though I own that version I went ahead and backed the new Version/Reprint from Capstone games. It’s one of the best auction games you can play and the closed economy system makes the game play so tight. I also love that if your playing a serious of games that you can keep that going over the serious which means sometimes having a long term plan vs short term gain. Great mix of strategy and tactical choices all in a relatively short and simple to learn game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Melvin
United States
Loveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy this game. I find it easy to teach the basic rules, we can be playing quickly. The gameplay is unique each time and the auction mechanic keeps everyone one their toes. The game is full of stabby goodness. It’s even better when played for two or three rounds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Boyd
United States
North Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Estates, the game where you auction the right to do awful things to each other.

I liked it enough I bought it, but it's not a perfect game. I like the simplicity of the rules and the closed economy. The fact that the money you spend goes to an opponent adds an interesting dynamic. Yes, you may want something, but do you really want to give money to the auctioneer?

However, occasionally the game can be a dud. Players that aren't into the game, overpay for items, or are in unwinnable positions and decide to help their friend can make a play less fun. But thankfully it's a short game so a bad play isn't going to ruin your whole game day.

All in all, I'd say it's a good-to-great game especially considering that it plays up to 5 people in an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls