Subject: Field Harvesting Reminder Suggestion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We received Viticulture this Christmas, and it has quickly become our family's favorite game (beating out some pretty stiff competition).

Some of us have a little bit of difficulty remembering which fields we harvested in a given year, especially when we build a yoke and have all three fields going.

Suggestion: at the send of every turn, when folks are taking back their meeples, be sure to place a glass bead or two on each field (one for each color grape being grown there). Then, if a field is harvested, removed these beads from the fields and place them on the crush pads as appropriate. Thus, a field without grapes (glass beads) has been harvested already that year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Regular
Canada
Kensington
PE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very good suggestion that I had seen earlier and started with our games. Now looking for colored grape tokens :).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hang on, hang on, wait.

Why would you do it this way round?

Is it not much more sensible to put the bead onto the field when it HAS been harvested?

Both techniques still have the issue of needing to remember something (namely, to add/remove the beads).
But it's much more natural to remember to take OFF the beads from fields which were harvested when collecting meeples, because you can see the beads.

If I've harvested all of my fields so they're all empty, and I need to remember that I need to add a bead to each one of them; that I'm going to forget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny P
Canada
Dollard des ormeux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
we just tap one of the vines on the set.
untap all at end of year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do the same thing! It does help a lot.

Nashman88 wrote:
Hang on, hang on, wait.

Why would you do it this way round?

Is it not much more sensible to put the bead onto the field when it HAS been harvested?

You pretty quickly get in the habit of getting the grape tokens to add to your crush pad from your fields instead of the supply. If you go to harvest for the first time in the year and all your fields are empty of tokens, you realize you forgot to refill them at cleanup and quickly do that, then harvest the field(s) that you wanted to. It makes a lot more sense than taking 3 tokens from the supply and adding two to your crush pad and one to your just-harvested field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agree to disagree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois LC
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We also do this (putting 1-2 glass beads on the field grape), so when we harvest we just slide them on the crush pads, then slide them into our cellar when making wine. It feel like it should have been done like this.

Another trick we use, is putting the field cards with the sold sign face up, but tuck behind the player board if the fields is available, and we just slide it up, showing the sold sign, when the field have been sold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven St. John
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
We received Viticulture this Christmas, and it has quickly become our family's favorite game (beating out some pretty stiff competition).

Some of us have a little bit of difficulty remembering which fields we harvested in a given year, especially when we build a yoke and have all three fields going.

Suggestion: at the send of every turn, when folks are taking back their meeples, be sure to place a glass bead or two on each field (one for each color grape being grown there). Then, if a field is harvested, removed these beads from the fields and place them on the crush pads as appropriate. Thus, a field without grapes (glass beads) has been harvested already that year!

Curious why you would use 2, since a field can't be harvested twice (maybe barring some visitor card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SJS1971 wrote:
Curious why you would use 2, since a field can't be harvested twice (maybe barring some visitor card).

A harvested field can give you up to two grapes — one white, one red. You take the tokens from the field and they become the grapes on your crush pad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven St. John
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flaquito wrote:
SJS1971 wrote:

A harvested field can give you up to two grapes — one white, one red. You take the tokens from the field and they become the grapes on your crush pad.

Ah, that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SJS1971 wrote:
flaquito wrote:
SJS1971 wrote:

Ah, that makes sense.

Exactly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MeepleXP wrote:
we just tap one of the vines on the set.
untap all at end of year.

You can take the player away from Magic the Gathering,
But you can't take the Magic the Gathering away from the player....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Simmons
Australia
Sippy Downs
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused… don't you put the grape tokens/glass beads in the crush pad as soon as you harvest, and discard the grape cards?

Why do you need to track which fields have been harvested? Is this a Tuscany thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
emptiful wrote:
I'm confused… don't you put the grape tokens/glass beads in the crush pad as soon as you harvest, and discard the grape cards?

Why do you need to track which fields have been harvested? Is this a Tuscany thing?

No, you keep the vine cards on the fields. To remove vines from fields you have to use Yoke or a Visitor card to "uproot."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven St. John
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emptiful wrote:

Wow! You are going to enjoy the game much more when you play the right way. Just like a real winemaker doesn't rip up his vines when he harvests, neither do you have to do this in Viticulture. Once planted, the vines typically produce every game year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SJS1971 wrote:
emptiful wrote:

Wow! You are going to enjoy the game much more when you play the right way. Just like a real winemaker doesn't rip up his vines when he harvests, neither do you have to do this in Viticulture. Once planted, the vines typically produce every game year.

This.

I can't IMAGINE playing having to replant a new vine card every time you've harvested one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nashman88 wrote:
SJS1971 wrote:
emptiful wrote:

This.

I can't IMAGINE playing having to replant a new vine card every time you've harvested one.

That would be a looong game!

"now in year 37 with 15 VPs to go. Winter is coming"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.