Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Conquest of the Empire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules clarifications (1984 MB Version) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Monroe
United States
California
flag msg tools
I enjoyed playing this game a few times in the 80's and finally just bought a used copy on Ebay. I have a few rules clarification questions:

1. 260 Talents: Is 260 the max talents a player can earn per turn? I played a test game and one side should have gotten to 270, but the board scale stops at 260. Does the player just lose the extra 10 talents per turn?

2. Max units on home province with no general: A leader can support up to 7 units. A city is considered a leader. If my Caesar and generals are out in the field and I want to place new units on my home province city, am I limited to having 7 units max there? What if there are already 5 units there and I buy 4 more? That would be 9 units on one city that supposedly only supports 7 units.

3. Two generals on one galley: A galley can hold one legion. If a galley has one general and 7 units aboard, can another lone general also come aboard for the ride? Likewise, if a galley has one general and only 1 unit aboard, can another lone general also come aboard for the ride? Or is only one general ever allowed on a galley at a time?

4. Galley travels across land: Rules say galley can enter a province's coast and end turn there, then next turn galley can enter sea from ANY coast of that province. Does that mean a galley in the Atlantic ocean can enter the Hispania coast, then on the next turn enter the Mediterranean sea from the coast of Hispania? It seems odd that the galley could travel over LAND from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean across Hispania. Same question applies to a galley entering Italia's west coast and leaving from Italia's east coast on a 2nd turn.

Thank you for any help you can offer!
Mike
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
m015monroe wrote:
1. 260 Talents: Is 260 the max talents a player can earn per turn? I played a test game and one side should have gotten to 270, but the board scale stops at 260. Does the player just lose the extra 10 talents per turn?

The classic rules make no mention of what to do if your control marker would go beyond the end of the Tribute Scale, so my assumption is you can't go higher than the highest printed value.

If you want to rationalize this, consider how difficult it would be to effectively tax an empire of that size. At that point corruption and graft lead to diminishing returns.

m015monroe wrote:
2. Max units on home province with no general: A leader can support up to 7 units. A city is considered a leader. If my Caesar and generals are out in the field and I want to place new units on my home province city, am I limited to having 7 units max there? What if there are already 5 units there and I buy 4 more? That would be 9 units on one city that supposedly only supports 7 units.


Yes, you'd be limited to 1 legion (up to 7 units). Without leadership, you cannot maintain a large standing army. Leaders are a precious resource; positioning them judiciously is a big part of the game's strategy.

While not specifically stated, I think it's assumed that you must comply with all rules in real time, so as soon as you exceed the limit, you must remove units. So buying more units than you can place is just throwing away money; I don't recommend it.

m015monroe wrote:
3. Two generals on one galley: A galley can hold one legion. If a galley has one general and 7 units aboard, can another lone general also come aboard for the ride? Likewise, if a galley has one general and only 1 unit aboard, can another lone general also come aboard for the ride? Or is only one general ever allowed on a galley at a time?

You can have multiple leaders in a legion. So, yes, multiple leaders can occupy a galley, and it would still have only 1 legion on it.

m015monroe wrote:
4. Galley travels across land: Rules say galley can enter a province's coast and end turn there, then next turn galley can enter sea from ANY coast of that province. Does that mean a galley in the Atlantic ocean can enter the Hispania coast, then on the next turn enter the Mediterranean sea from the coast of Hispania? It seems odd that the galley could travel over LAND from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean across Hispania. Same question applies to a galley entering Italia's west coast and leaving from Italia's east coast on a 2nd turn.

The rules are pretty clear on this, so I'll just quote them (p8): "a galley may not land on one coast of Hispania, Italia or Macedonia, then set sail from the other non-adjacent coast, because the coastlines of these provinces are broken by other provinces."

Have fun!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Monroe
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thank you for your answers. Those help clear up a lot if confusion.

I have one more about movement on roads. I'll expand on the example in the rules with an extra stop along a series of 6 connected roads:

A Caesar or general may transfer its
infantry to another general in the same
territory; pick up cavalry units from the
other general; move 3 provinces along a
road located in that province; pick up some more calvary from that city; then continue on the roads for 3 more provinces; drop off the cavalry at a city; pick up some catapults and some
infantry from that city; and move to an
adjacent province to attack (2nd or 3rd
movement?).

So, is this 2 or 3 movements: when moving along a series of 6 connected roads, the general stops after 3 roads to exchange units, then moves along 3 more roads to exchange units a second time, then enters an enemy province for combat?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The example you provided breaks the rules (it would be 3 moves).

My copy of the rules has the paragraph worded differently:

A Caesar or general may transfer its infantry to another general in the same territory; pick up cavalry units from the other general; move 4 provinces along a road located in that province (1st movement); drop off the cavalry at a city; pick up some catapults and some infantry from that city; and move to an adjacent province to attack (2nd movement).

Note the following:
- The Caesar or general in this example moved twice: once along the road by 4 provinces, then again into an adjacent territory.
- The cavalry units moved once, and thus are eligible to move again this turn (if another leader moves with them).
- The catapults and infantry that were picked up in the final city also moved once (into the adjacent province).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.