Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: gotw [+] [View All]
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is with great pleasure that I present to you my successor to Geek of the Week, Yves Lorengo or gollum as he is known here at BGG. When considering who to choose as the next GotW, I pondered many things: location (you must select a GotW in another continent other than your own), personality, interests, and contributions to BGG. Well, Yves turned out to be a perfect choice for me.

If you're like me, I have my front page set up to see as much as possible - lots of entries in each of the categories and now that Aldie has fixed the bug of multiple types of categories displaying properly (Hot & Recent Images for example), I have several Categories displayed more than once. It was through this set-up that I began to take notice of Yves awhile back as he has produced some of the BEST images on BGG.

Although he has only added 114 images total, he has earned a staggering 2475 thumbsup for them! That's an average of nearly 22 per image! It was his recent series of Heroscape Marvel: The Conflict Begins images that sealed the deal for him as a great choice for Geek of the Week:

Those are ASTOUNDING!

Yves is also one of just a few owners of the soundtrack collector Microbadge - something I noticed as I have one too. It is very appropriate therefore that his bio is set to music and the selected songs set the tone for his personal history.

Please give him a warm welcome and help him make his time being Geek of the Week a great one to remember.

Congratulations Yves!

gollum wrote:
First off Scott, let me thank you for the honour of choosing me as your geek of the week successor. Having read through your GW thread, I must say that following in your footsteps is way out of my league. Writing in english is a pretty heavy task for me but I will try to do my best (and I apologize in advance for the rather meager word pool I attend upon).

But I better get this started now and so it seems to me that this biography is a the perfect occasion to present an essential part in the making of many of my images; something that you cannot really see when you look at them at any size; something that helps me to get into the appropriate mood (and to find sort of a resonance of that mood withing the image); what I'm talking about is music - or to be more specific - scores, a.k.a. soundtracks; a major player in my game of life, so to speak...

Now playing[/i]: THE LORD OF THE RINGS - THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING composed and conducted by Howard Shore - complete recordings track 2: THE SHIRE

There is actually not much to tell about me - which is the main reason why there isn't anything written in my profile. I was born 1966 and the blood in my veins originates from four european countries: Switzerland, Germany, France and Italy. I speak german, swiss german and some french but I have not the slightes clue about the italian language. I was involved in the making of two babies and that made me a proud dad of a daughter (age 21) and a son (age 4.5).

np: CERA UNA VOLTA IL WEST Musiche composte e dirette da Ennio Morricone - Edizione integrale - track 6: LA POSADA NO. 1

There wasn't much playing games in my childhood. Monopoly sometimes (sigh), Nine Men's Morris, Trap The Cap - stuff like that. We were three kids and it ended almost every time with cheating, fights and tears - no way to call us a family of gamers.

Luckily I was able to overcome this "traumatic" experience or else I wouldn't be on this site now, would I?

np: MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME composed and conducted by Maurice Jarre - Track 4: BARTERTOWN

The 80's - I have fond memories of those early years in the 80's: I couldn't get enough of popcorn movies which were at a real height. I would not pass on any science fiction or fantasy movie and my love for soundtracks started to bloom. And then, one day, I stumbled upon a tie-in product that would stir my interest in games: Parker Brother's DUNE! I had no gaming experience than the one shortly described above; the box was sealed and the box back did not really gave away anything of its content or the gameplay...

Since I did not have much money in those days and could't afford a decent TV set, I had to settle for another form of entertainement and I bought this game without having the slightest idea what I would get - the decision was based solely on the title Dune (I love the book) and the cover.

The experience of Dune (neither the film nor the game) wasn't really mindblowing, but at least the game kept me entertained enough to further explore the world that was opening before me: the world of boardgames

np: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA SEASON 2 composed and conducted by Bear McCreary - track 20: ONE YEAR LATER

Present day... gaming has become much more important to me in the last few years. I have a gaming group and we meet on a regular base. I'm the only one who is buying games in this group which gives me the power to "force" those good folks into new games whenever I like. devil
Do not judge too hard on me - if it were for them we'd still be playing only Risk and Settlers of Catan. gulp Don't get me wrong; I don't hate Risk and I kinda like Settlers but I have played one too many times and got tired of it.

The most important game for me in recent years was - and still is - HeroScape. It's the game that got me into photographic contribution on HeroScape sites as well as here on BGG (I signed up here 2002 and was only visiting the site when I needed some info on games that were not on the shelf of my preferred retail shop). HeroScape was the impetus for my photographic progression - you might call this a side effect of the impact that this game had on me. Here is the first image I've uploaded on the www (a tongue-in-cheek image I have taken for the long gone HeroScapeHQ site):

I dare say my photography has become quite a bit more sophisticated by now...

np: APOCALYPTO composed by James Horner - track 6: ENTERING THE CITY WITH A FUTURE FORETOLD

The future... here's a few things I'm looking forward to:

- the prospect of being able to play full-blown HeroScape games with my son in a few years - very exiting (I'm sure he'll love it)!

- Last Night On Earth, Duel In The Dark and the HeroScape Ticalla Jungle expansion - just to mention some titles I will get for sure.

- and last but not least: to contribute a few more images to this site...

np: PREDATOR composed and conducted by Alan Silvestri - track 12: BUILDING A TRAP[/i]

Two thruth and a lie:

1. I got married subaqueous...

2. I had a nice chat with Roger Moore on a skilift during a winter sports camp in Gstaad...

3. Vagrancy got me arrested and banished out of Cuba...

I'll ask a few questions to get you started Yves, but I will be posting my usual deluge of questions later on in the week for you as well.

1. Being a fellow Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie owner, I have to ask:

- How many sets of the Master Set did you buy?
- Are there any of the figure sets you missed out on?
- Favorite faction in Heroscape?

2. Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie or Heroscape Marvel: The Conflict Begins? There can be only one! Which would you pick?

3. I'm a big fan of movie sountracks too (which you already know), and one thing I do is listen to certain soundtracks when I'm in a particular mood. I'll listen to Dragonheart - To The Stars a lot if I'm feeling a bit melancholy for example. I'm wondering if this is something you do as well and if so, give us a few examples of your favorite themes and when you like to play them.

...And you're off!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Yves! Great choice, Scott!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! I was looking through your photo submissions and saw this picture.

How did this photo slip through Image Modding and only get 10 thumbs? This is an awesome shot!

[Edit - this one is now up to 23 28 and counting. Way to go people!]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations gollum. You not only produce beautiful pictures but you support the budding photographers on this site with some expert advice. You also give out a load of thumbs to the good stuff, helping the better photographers towards their microbadges which is immensely appreciated by the recipients. A well deserved award sir.

2 truths and a lie. I know Roger Moore does a lot of skiing, so that could be tru, but I cant believe they would throw a European out of Cuba for vagrancy (other things maybe, but not that), so I believe that is the lie and you must, therefore, have got married underwater.

And now my standard question for GOTWs with kids (though you have already answered it, damn, will have to modify it).

What game (aside from Heroscape) are you most looking forward to playing with your boy when he is old enough?

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
congrats gollum, as you know i've been a huge fan of our photography, it has inspired me to take photos (no of games, but of other stuff).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yves,

Congrats on becoming geek of the week.
It seems to me that every time you upload a new photo the quality is even better as before... If that is possible at all.

I'm looking forward to your next photos.

3 is the lie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
GRATZ! Yves and allow 'moi' to be the 1st "Geek Chatter" to wish YOU the BEST! That BIG photo up above is really great! Keep UP the "Good JORB!"
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day Yves. Congratulations and enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your photos definitely are an inspiration, and something to live up to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well deserved Yves. Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
smeagol
msg tools
Whoa Scott, thank you very much for the hearty introduction and the prominent display of the Marvel Heroscape images. It makes the start into this week alot easier for me

manowarplayer wrote:

1. Being a fellow HeroScape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie owner, I have to ask:

- How many sets of the Master Set did you buy?
- Are there any of the figure sets you missed out on?
- Favorite faction in Heroscape?

- I did buy 6 Master Sets so far; two of the german edition and the other four I got online from the US (including one WalMart exclusive a fellow scaper sent to me).
- Nope, no figure set missed out. I've just got wave 7 this week
- For the favorite faction - that would be Utgar. Nothing beats the bad guys devil

Quote:
2. HeroScape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie or HeroScape Marvel: The Conflict Begins? There can be only one! Which would you pick?

Swarm of the Marro just arrived here this week so I cannot decide my pick based on plays. But since I've allready lost my heart to Rise of the Valkyrie some time ago and it looks to be more versatile than SotM, I'll stay loyal to Rise.

Quote:
3. I'm a big fan of movie sountracks too (which you already know), and one thing I do is listen to certain soundtracks when I'm in a particular mood. I'll listen to Dragonheart - To The Stars a lot if I'm feeling a bit melancholy for example. I'm wondering if this is something you do as well and if so, give us a few examples of your favorite themes and when you like to play them.

Ok, the mood-pieces... since you mentioned melancholy, I will start there: Monster's Ball by Asche & Spencer, Solaris by Cliff Martinez. It's advantage of those scores that they build up a particular mood and keep it continous throughout the whole score.
If I had to pick a particular track from those cds it would be "Under The Stars" from Monster's Ball and "We Don't Have To Think Like That Anymore" from Solaris. Interestingly, all those are "resolution" pieces, much like "To The Stars".
Now I'll go one step further, from melancholy to sadness. the sweet hereafter by Michael Danna. Track 15, 'a different town' - when needed, this will help me let release whatever pain...
I seem not to have special songs for lighter moods. I guess those moods are just not tied so tight to particular music.
The main theme from Small Soldiers by Jerry Goldsmith would be handy for an upbeat mood.
And when I need a kick in my lazy butt I'll just place Fight Club by John King and Michael Simpson aka The Dust Brothers into my cd player...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
smeagol
msg tools
duchamp wrote:
Congrats, Yves! Great choice, Scott!

Thank you Daniel!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
smeagol
msg tools
boltongeordie wrote:
Congratulations gollum. You not only produce beautiful pictures but you support the budding photographers on this site with some expert advice. You also give out a load of thumbs to the good stuff, helping the better photographers towards their microbadges which is immensely appreciated by the recipients. A well deserved award sir.

Thanks alot boltongeordie! I enjoy each and every thumb I get on an image of mine and I enjoy also passing this to others. And it's a good way to balance the lack of information in my own contribution, because so many of them are more entertainement than info.

Quote:
What game (aside from Heroscape) are you most looking forward to playing with your boy when he is old enough?

Railroad Tycoon. My son loves trains. The game sits on my shelf, yet unplayed and seems just to wait for him to be old enough. I'm not planning on never having it on the table until then but this just might happen.
About a year ago, he sometimes asked for Ticket to Ride and when I gave it to him, he started to place the wagons neatly sorted by colors unto the map and was spreading the cards all around the board. He allways did it with great care and he never lost or damaged anything.
This will for sure be another blast to play with him!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
smeagol
msg tools
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
congrats gollum, as you know i've been a huge fan of our photography, it has inspired me to take photos (no of games, but of other stuff).

Colin, thank you very much! Here's (still) looking foreward to some photographic contribution of yours to BGG some day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
smeagol
msg tools
KrisVerbeeck wrote:
Yves, Congrats on becoming geek of the week.

Thank you Kris!

Quote:
It seems to me that every time you upload a new photo the quality is even better as before... If that is possible at all.

That's very kind of you to say. I daresay that I cannot entirely agree but I certainly wish it would be like that. I've learned alot since I take images for this site but there's still many things to tackle - like getting a decent image of cards that doesn't need much tampering with an image editor. I have yet to get the knack for this.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to your next photos.

Again, thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
So, does/did your daughter play games, or was her rearing during your pre-game addiction?

Is your son a big fan of Thomas trains? Son number 2 (turning 3 shortly) can't get enough of that stuff, not because of the characters, but to do the tidy lining up of trains and such. If your son is a fan of Thomas, I have two words to say: Thomas Bingo.

There seems to be a long void between your first exposure to "better" games (Dune) and your fascination with HeroScape. What happened during that time and was there ever a time when you got heavily involved with collecting games (again, pre-HeroScape)?

Do you attend any gaming conventions?

Does your wife/significant other/co-parent play games too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on GOTW! Your photos are wonderful. What software do you use to edit them? Do you have a favorite effect? Great stuff!
Cheers,
Van
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Yves! A very well deserved nomination! I hope you really enjoy your week.

So here are my questions for you:

1) What are your personal top 3 favorite photos that you've uploaded?
2) Being a soundtrack fan, do you watch a lot of movies? What are your top 5 movies of all time?
3) I see that you're a Europe Engulfed fan. I've bought the game, but haven't actually started my first game yet. How long did it take you to get a good grasp of the rules, and then how long did it take to play your first game?
4) What will your next microbadge purchase be?
5) If you were to help a new visitor to Switzerland see the sights of your beautiful country, what are some of the places you would recommend that he should see? Feel free to list a couple of places that tourists often miss.

Thanks and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! It's always good to see photographers as Geeks of the Week. I have some questions for you.

1. How many languages are you fluent in?
2. You signed up for BGG in late December of 2002, and, as you say, you were only really checking it for games not in your FLGS. When do you think you started using it for more, and/or actively contributing?
3. Have you ever worked as a photographer?
4. What advice would you give to aspiring photographers?
5. Do you take many non-game related photos? If so, may we see them?

Have a nice week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mossman
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yves - congrats. Some well-deserved recognition.

I'm curious about your photo background - since you've produced some of the most fantastical images here.
- When did you really start to develop an interest in photography?
- Is it strictly a hobby or do you do photography / graphic creation as part of your profession?

and lastly . . .

- What's your best part of living in Switzerland?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah Yves!! Way to go!

Ill go with #1 as the lie.

Well James just asked the first question I wanted to ask. So I guess I will have to think of something else....

If you were photographing something other than games, what would you like to photograph?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels B.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep.... WHAT?! WHAT?! What?!
badge
The President has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! As anyone will agree and already has stated, your photos are awesome. And let me add, this was one of, if not the best introduction written by a gotw so far.

I can't come up with a intelligent question, so here's one from the top of my head:

You think you (the Swiss) have a chance to win the European Championship next year?

Edit: For clarification -> in soccer/football.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
smeagol
msg tools
GROGnads wrote:
GRATZ! Yves and allow 'moi' to be the 1st "Geek Chatter" to wish YOU the BEST! That BIG photo up above is really great! Keep UP the "Good JORB!"
cool

Robert! Thanks alot fellow chatter - allways a pleasure to see your COLORFUL messages popping up! I will do my best to uphold the level of quality I´ve reached so far. Here´s looking forward to our next chat. Allthough I fear this week will keep me busy typing here instead of there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
smeagol
msg tools
jgrundy wrote:
G'day Yves. Congratulations and enjoy your week!

Thank you Joe! I look forward to your next witty photo - don´t let us wait too long

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
smeagol
msg tools
zelador wrote:
Your photos definitely are an inspiration, and something to live up to.

Dan, thank you for your kind words. It really makes me very, very happy how well received my photos are. I put alot of time and effort in them and getting recognition for it is just great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.