Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Ave Caesar» Forums » Rules

Subject: Unusual situation: two players in the lead can't go! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules about not playing a 6 if you are in the lead (including joint lead) are clear. As is the rule saying that this rule is over-ridden if the player in the lead happens to be in a single blocking space.

Last night we had an even more perverse and unusual situation: two chariots, in the lead side by side, only had 6s (it was near the end of the game and neither had any other cards in the draw pile). We couldn't decide if either of them should be able to play, and if they could, which one.

Any thoughts on this? Though I can't help feeling it's unlikely to happen again, you never know....

For the record, we decided that this meant there had been a massive pile up and Caesar had declared the race a draw before having everyone's heads chopped off for incompetence. After that he had a light lunch, then returned to watch another race with some replacement charioteers who were a lot more careful about this.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Altoona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Players in the lead may play a six if they are blocking all other traffic. I believe this exception is mentioned in the rules somewhere.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Dziuba
United States
Scurry
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play with the variant that we dubbed "the dead horse rule" where if you are unable to play a card because you are in the lead and only have 6's then your horse just blew out a leg and is out of the race. Pick up your chariot and go home. It makes being in the lead just a little more dangerous.

Just as an FYI, we also play with the variant that if you can't move because you are boxed in or don't have a low enough number you can "burn" a card, place it on the bottom of your deck, and draw a replacement. It can be a real strategic help to "stack" a couple cards of known value at the bottom of you deck for that stretch run.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LetsGetTrivial wrote:
Players in the lead may play a six if they are blocking all other traffic. I believe this exception is mentioned in the rules somewhere.
Yes, it's mentioned in the rules. (At least it is in the 'classic' 1989 edition.)

If 1 player is holding up the bunch while holding just 6s he's allowed to play a 6
If 2 (or more) players are holding up the bunch while holding just 6s the first of them to move will be allowed to play a 6
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MIJB19 wrote:
Yes, it's mentioned in the rules. (At least it is in the 'classic' 1989 edition.)

If 1 player is holding up the bunch while holding just 6s he's allowed to play a 6
If 2 (or more) players are holding up the bunch while holding just 6s the first of them to move will be allowed to play a 6


Correct.
However, we always play by the Consim/Viking-con tournament rules:

a) a leading player cannot play a "6" until ALL other players have been unable to move. This allows everybody to catch up on a leader who didn't play well (or was very unlucky).

b) as each horse is crossing the finish line, the next horse automatically becomes "the leading horse". Thus, no-one can finish the race with a "6" unless there are someone behind them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick Danger wrote:
Just as an FYI, we also play with the variant that if you can't move because you are boxed in or don't have a low enough number you can "burn" a card, place it on the bottom of your deck, and draw a replacement. It can be a real strategic help to "stack" a couple cards of known value at the bottom of you deck for that stretch run.

We also play this rule, although we call it "cycling". In my rule-book, this is "variant 2"

Quote:
two chariots, in the lead side by side, only had 6s (it was near the end of the game and neither had any other cards in the draw pile). We couldn't decide if either of them should be able to play, and if they could, which one.

This has never happened to us, but my translation of the rulebook says that if two horses are level, the leading horse is the one on the inside track. If it is a straight, then consider the upcoming corner.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For purposes of determining which of the 'tied for lead' players is the leader, isn't the leading chariot the one in front? Whenever a chariot passes another chariot, it becomes the lead chariot. If a chariot catches up and is even with another, it has not passed it yet, so the other chariot, the one being overtaken, is still the leader.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Fredlund
Sweden
Veberöd
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny. We played this game for the first time this weekend and without knowing it we used Consim/Viking-con tournament rules
It isn't clearly mentioned in the rules who is the leader when someone has finished the race and who should go first when there are several leaders blocking the race and all of them only has 6s in their hand.

I was more then a bit unlucky drawing 3 6s in my last 4 cards and all I could do was to watch everyone pass me on the finish line because I was leading all the time until there were no one left in the race, so I could not even finish the race.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is clearly written in the rules that:

1) You can play a 6 if you are the leader and in a 1-space lane.

2) If two players lead in a 2-space lane, once one of them has passed because he has only 6's, the other one can play a 6 if he only has 6's too.

3) Once one player has finished the race, ALL players can play 6's (if not, the last player with a 6 could never end the race).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
2) If two players lead in a 2-space lane, once one of them has passed because he has only 6's, the other one can play a 6 if he only has 6's too.
According to the rules of the most recent edition, 2) should read:

A further exception occurs if two players are tied for the lead, they both have three 6s in their hands, and their chariots are blocking the movement of the players behind them. In this unique situation, the leading player whose turn occurs first may play a 6 to move his chariot forward.

These rules are available in the files section:
http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/1ik0rscbu5/spie...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
It is clearly written in the rules that:

3) Once one player has finished the race, ALL players can play 6's (if not, the last player with a 6 could never end the race).


I was going to say the same thing - so you should have come second anyway
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
A further exception occurs if two players are tied for the lead, they both have three 6s in their hands, and their chariots are blocking the movement of the players behind them. In this unique situation, the leading player whose turn occurs first may play a 6 to move his chariot forward.

Indeed, I had interpreted this rule as I wrote above because when "the leading player whose turn occurs first" has to play he doesn't know yet that the other player on the lead has only 6s too (what should he do, ask?). The second player does know already when it comes to him, so logically he can play a 6 to unblock the race...

This is the way we play, except when we use the variant where 3x6 on the lead destroys your chariot!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Fredlund
Sweden
Veberöd
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed_the_Red wrote:
franchi wrote:
It is clearly written in the rules that:

3) Once one player has finished the race, ALL players can play 6's (if not, the last player with a 6 could never end the race).


I was going to say the same thing - so you should have come second anyway


I can not see that anywhere in the latest rules...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
baluba42 wrote:
I can not see that anywhere in the latest rules...

True...

It seems they skipped it, it was in my French version of the old edition. Maybe they thought it was obvious that, once any player has crossed the line, the other ones left are not leading the race.

As to the case when 2 players lead in a 2-space lane and both have 3x6, my French rules say that, once both have passed because of that, the player whose turn comes next can play a 6. So it is the player playing first, but after both have passed one turn. I had not read that part of the sentence!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.