Subject: Root Strategy Guide! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: root [+] [View All]
Tristan Stevens
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've uploaded my Eyrie guide! A fair bit shorter then the Cat's guide but I feel like there was overlap to avoid so I just referred back to it. Once again I hope it's helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Newell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I find the Despot to be the best opening leader overall, as Move and Build are the parts of my decree I want bird cards in ASAP. I haven't tried a Charismatic - Turmoil - Commander strategy though, I usually try to avoid Turmoil as long as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely aim to spam out birds early on - leader choice will depend on my opening hand - if you start without the ability to move into an adjacent clearing (I've had it happen), then "Recruit and Battle" will do you no good.

My aim is to go into turmoil twice, and to always play two card into the decree, by whatever means necessary. I will quite happily dump out multiple roosts in a turn if I can, and will try to intentionally go into turmoil with an inappropriate Build order.

This strategy will mean entering the mid-game with all (or almost all) roosts on the board, and a solid board position. The Eyrie will usually then shrink in the following turns, but should have a decent platform to build from.

Charismatic -> Builder is strong in this case (crafting can help you get over the line), and Charismatic -> Commander is usually decent. Charismatic -> Despot can be great if the Eyrie have the role of keeping the Woodland Alliance down (e.g., if there are no cats in the game), since it messes with the Sympathy calculus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Bowen
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Triskelli wrote:
I find the Despot to be the best opening leader overall, as Move and Build are the parts of my decree I want bird cards in ASAP. I haven't tried a Charismatic - Turmoil - Commander strategy though, I usually try to avoid Turmoil as long as possible.

If you have a bird card in your starting hand, the other leaders could potentially be better for you. Especially if for example the WA isn't in the game (easiest way to leverage his ability is via sympathy tokens). Maybe your starting hand is a bird and 2 quality crafting items so you want to shed that disdain for crafting. But in my experience you want/need 1 bird build card slotted asap to win with the Eyrie and when in doubt, the Despot gives you that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Stevens
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Domfluff wrote:
I definitely aim to spam out birds early on - leader choice will depend on my opening hand - if you start without the ability to move into an adjacent clearing (I've had it happen), then "Recruit and Battle" will do you no good.

My aim is to go into turmoil twice, and to always play two card into the decree, by whatever means necessary. I will quite happily dump out multiple roosts in a turn if I can, and will try to intentionally go into turmoil with an inappropriate Build order.

This strategy will mean entering the mid-game with all (or almost all) roosts on the board, and a solid board position. The Eyrie will usually then shrink in the following turns, but should have a decent platform to build from.

Charismatic -> Builder is strong in this case (crafting can help you get over the line), and Charismatic -> Commander is usually decent. Charismatic -> Despot can be great if the Eyrie have the role of keeping the Woodland Alliance down (e.g., if there are no cats in the game), since it messes with the Sympathy calculus.

I think I mentioned that I find this is the 'optimal' Eyrie strategy. Being able to get as many actions and warriors as you can down is just never bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Stevens
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woodland Alliance guide out! It's worth noting that by this point my guide is about 13,000 words. This makes it comparable to about .17 Harry Potter and the Philosopher/Sorcerers Stones or 0.022 War and Peaces.

I'm hoping to have it all done fairly soon, but I want to get more Lizard and Otter games in sometime before I write those up so feel free to join me on the Discord (Linked earlier but again here for convenience: https://discord.gg/wXrGwrD)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I just wanted to say that I'm loving your insights, so PLEASE keep up the great work. You have WAY more experience than I do, so it's great to see you confirm some of my thoughts, but also add a lot of food for thought that hadn't occurred to me yet. I really appreciate the work you're putting into this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Tatu
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am eagerly waiting for the Vagabond. It's the faction I played and I never had the victory within sight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Stevens
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
Hey, I just wanted to say that I'm loving your insights, so PLEASE keep up the great work. You have WAY more experience than I do, so it's great to see you confirm some of my thoughts, but also add a lot of food for thought that hadn't occurred to me yet. I really appreciate the work you're putting into this!

Thanks, that means a lot to me to hear

Zerbique wrote:
I am eagerly waiting for the Vagabond. It's the faction I played and I never had the victory within sight.

I hope to get that one out by the end of the week, if not extremely early next week! It depends on how well I can co-ordinate with my "editor" (Read: my word-nerd partner)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Stevens
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And now the Vagabond is done! Not quite "early" this week, but this was actually a bit of a hard one! I'm not going to make any promises on Lizards, as I'm not sure how much I have to say yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steinar Furuli
Norway
flag msg tools
AuroraeEagle wrote:
And now the Vagabond is done! Not quite "early" this week, but this was actually a bit of a hard one! I'm not going to make any promises on Lizards, as I'm not sure how much I have to say yet!

Great job on the guides. It seems we've got the exact same experience with the game, so it's very reassuring to read your guides to learn that my thoughts are actually shared by someone else.

Personally looking forward to your guide for the Riverfolk Company, as they're one of my favorites, but also one of the harder to reel in the last final points with. Once the Riverfolk Company starts contending for victory, other players begin neglect using their services. And if other players also starts killing the Riverfolk Company's Warriors at the same time, the Riverfolk Company are in a lot of pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Stevens
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SFuruli wrote:
AuroraeEagle wrote:

Great job on the guides. It seems we've got the exact same experience with the game, so it's very reassuring to read your guides to learn that my thoughts are actually shared by someone else.

Personally looking forward to your guide for the Riverfolk Company, as they're one of my favorites, but also one of the harder to reel in the last final points with. Once the Riverfolk Company starts contending for victory, other players begin neglect using their services. And if other players also starts killing the Riverfolk Company's Warriors at the same time, the Riverfolk Company are in a lot of pain.

Thanks, and I'm glad to hear that too! Sometimes I worry that I'm just rambling nonsense or I've only managed to get lucky when my suggested strategies have worked in the past!

I just put up my Lizards guide then and will hopefully have Otters up soon as well, but I'll say in advance that with the Otters you need to bank up funds at the start and favour getting points from sources where you don't spend funds, such as cards and combat, so you don't run out of steam. Late game you can go spend crazy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Francis
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic guide, thanks! I played my first two games of Root, both as the cat, last night. Too bad I didn't find your guide before then! Still, I won the first game because of fortuitous card draws -- I wound up with the opposite-corners Dominance card, played it the next turn when I hit 10 VP and was ruling all four corners, and won the turn after because nobody was in a position to wipe me out in the right places. Game lasted all of about 20 minutes! We reset and went again, and I suffered the more typical fate of the Cats: Leading until late in the game, when everybody caught up with (and ganged up on) me, and the Vagabond pulled off the win. I think everybody had at least 25 points. Great fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Chu
msg tools
I'm still using and referencing this, great guide. Especially looking at Cats/Eyrie, it can be a little tiresome to figure out who will play the core faction.

Our discord, Woodland Warriors, has multiple games daily and when I read the guides I'm excited to try each one!

Aside from the ones I'm inclined to naturally play. Thanks for the quality content!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.