GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,770 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: File upload problem rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I submitted a 12 MB file. With my dialup connection, this took over an hour. I could tell that data was being uploaded because my modem status window indicated that 12 MB was sent. When it finally finished I got an error message:

No file specified

I had to specify a file in order to start the upload process in the first place. If an admin reads this, is there any record at your end of the upload? The file was named lazo_gridwar_rules_v2.ZIP and I submitted it for the game "Lazo / Gridwar" on Sunday the 23rd at around 7 to 8 pm EST.

Where does the error lie? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the information provided about File Submissions on the upload page or the Wiki. File uploads over about 5 Mb time out the web, and the file will not upload.

You need to either:
- Compress your images (Best choice)
- Create a Zip archive of the files
or
- Create a multi-part zip archive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the upload page:

"There is a limit to how much a browser will wait to upload a file. Depending on connection speed and computer, that can be around 5 Mb. This is a limitation of the web upload, not a file size limitation of BGG."

I observed that my modem was uploading for over an hour, and sent out about 12 MB during that period. I don't mean to sound argumentative, but my browser did not appear to be waiting to upload. It was uploading the whole time. I use Firefox.

My file is a .ZIP file archive. The files it contains could not be compressed much further, certainly not down to 5 MB. Depending on what the admins have to say, I may try to upload in parts, but this would seem to run contrary to another guideline:

"If you are uploading multiple files to a game, combine them into one ZIP file, rather than submitting 5-10 files. It makes the games files a mess and then everyone wonders if they got all the files."

Thanks for your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
twixter wrote:
From the upload page:

"There is a limit to how much a browser will wait to upload a file. Depending on connection speed and computer, that can be around 5 Mb. This is a limitation of the web upload, not a file size limitation of BGG."

I observed that my modem was uploading for over an hour, and sent out about 12 MB during that period. I don't mean to sound argumentative, but my browser did not appear to be waiting to upload. It was uploading the whole time. I use Firefox.

At that point, your computer is talking, but the web is no longer listening. I am glad, though that you were reading the hints. So many people don't and I erroneously thought you did not read them. My appologies.

twixter wrote:
My file is a .ZIP file archive. The files it contains could not be compressed much further, certainly not down to 5 MB. Depending on what the admins have to say, I may try to upload in parts, but this would seem to run contrary to another guideline:

"If you are uploading multiple files to a game, combine them into one ZIP file, rather than submitting 5-10 files. It makes the games files a mess and then everyone wonders if they got all the files."

Thanks for your input.

On the second point, I am trying to address people who upload 20-30 individual files, each about 20-30 Kb, when someone who would want one file (a new character), would probably want the other 20-30 characters, so why not combine them to make them easier for people to download them as 1 zip file.

But really that does not apply to your case. You have a case where you have a large file, which apparantly you cannot reduce the size (e.g. compressing images in the original file). So you clearly should do a segmented zip file, and post it as parts.

That is perfectly acceptable, since it is the best solution for your case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.