mbmbmb
Download play and rate on BGG:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/292914/fika

This was Pieterfalun's entry for the 2019 Two-Player PnP Game Design Contest

Players: 1 or 2
game time: 20 minutes
Ages: 9+

Overview

FIKA is an 18-card game in which one or two players try to win rounds by selling coffee, tea and pastry.

Players must use the actions and goals on their cards and the cards in the FIKA supply in order to outsmart their opponent. The player that can win two rounds by getting the maximum value out of his or her cards, wins the game. Watch a quick tutorial here:

Tabletopia

Please note that the game can be played on Tabletopia: solo and duel

Components

18 cards (one A4-sheet)

Links and files

[Url] https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/292914/fika [/url]

Credits and follow me

P. Van Gompel is the illustrator and game designer of FIKA, E. Van Gompel is the graphics editor

The drawing process could be followed on my channel on Youtube. Here's an example

Stay updated about all changes and about future games by subscribing to my page on Facebook: fb.me/Kwibusgamedesign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claud
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fatti non foste a viver come bruti, ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza
mb
Re: [WIP] FIKA - 2019 two-player-pnp-game-design-contest
The name sounds a bit weird in Italian language, especially when sold as a date night game. Not that a name has to be appropriate in each language. Still it sounds to me as a date night game played in adult only movies. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fika is the best name ever! Spot on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Falun
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I understand that a name may have different meanings or connotations in different languages.

The initial name was "Koffieklap", but in Flanders FIKA has become a widespread name. I like it because it's shorter and because I learnt to enjoy a good coffebreak while I was studying in Sweden years ago.

What about the connotation of FIKA in English? Does it also have a weird meaning? If so, I'll have to look for a name that sells itself better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quadrante wrote:
Fika is the best name ever! Spot on
What he said!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Falun
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've just added a playthrough on Vimeo. I'll add it to the top post too. Between the version of the video and the version of the game I've put online, there are already some minor differences, but I think the video is still accurate enough to make the game understandable.

https://vimeo.com/313438288
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry flower
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] FIKA - 2019 two-player-pnp-game-design-contest (component ready)
Pieterfalun wrote:
I understand that a name may have different meanings or connotations in different languages.

[...]

What about the connotation of FIKA in English? Does it also have a weird meaning? If so, I'll have to look for a name that sells itself better.

I think "FIKA" sounds fine in English.

It's easy to say and has no unintended connotations.

hfninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry flower
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some early observation/questions I had while play testing:

- How do you keep track of the slots before the client cards are moved to the centre of the table? For example, how can you be sure that a card was placed in the 4th slot rather than the 3rd or 5th? In the video, it seemed like the client cards (eventually) served as landmarks. But the written rules suggest that the client cards can be placed anywhere (e.g., in the 1st and 2nd slot), so they don’t necessarily help to clarify the slot locations (even if/when they have been moved into position).

- It seems like most of the actions involve swapping cards. But at the beginning of the round, there are no cards to swap, so it felt like I didn’t have a plausible action. In fact, we declined to play an action most of the time. Is this usual?

- There is a typo that confused me: “Card 2: After you’ve played this card, you can swap one card from your opponent’s slots (also with one card of the supply. Your opponent is not allowed to execute the action of the new card.” I'm guessing "(also" should be omitted?

- The special instructions at the top of some cards confused me. I’m not sure what this means: “Is this card in front of 1? 6 turns into 1-5”. Does that mean if the 6 is next to a 1, I can call it a 2 (for example) to score a run (Goal #4)?

- What happens if you have two or three copies of “Card 2”, which states, “Play this card last: No action”? Does one get played second last? Or does it mean if you play this card last, then there is no action? What does “no action” mean here?

- I managed to play 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 during one of my rounds. Do I just earn $3 for 1, 2, 3? What about 2, 3, 4? And 3, 4, 5? Do I just claim the prize once? Is there an advantage to playing a run of 4 or 5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vedrana B
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And now I know why the chain of Fika restaurants in NYC is called that way.
I'm looking forward to trying this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Falun
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the post! Here's a quick reply, but on Tuesday I'll make an update. Then I'll have more time to go thoroughly through your observations.

henry flower wrote:
Here are some early observation/questions I had while play testing:

- How do you keep track of the slots before the client cards are moved to the centre of the table? For example, how can you be sure that a card was placed in the 4th slot rather than the 3rd or 5th? In the video, it seemed like the client cards (eventually) served as landmarks. But the written rules suggest that the client cards can be placed anywhere (e.g., in the 1st and 2nd slot), so they don’t necessarily help to clarify the slot locations (even if/when they have been moved into position).
We often put 5 coffee beans between us (or in a pub / on a train: 5 pence). But I will work out the rules better so that (as you noticed in the video) the two client cards also serve as initial landmarks.

Quote:

- It seems like most of the actions involve swapping cards. But at the beginning of the round, there are no cards to swap, so it felt like I didn’t have a plausible action. In fact, we declined to play an action most of the time. Is this usual?
It's true that in the beginning the very first action might be useless. However, before I start playing, I already put my cards in a certain playing order (and make up a "plan A"). From observing some playtesting sessions, I've figured out that as soon as players understand the tactics of the game beter, they often use action 5 (to delete a strong card from the general supply), or 1 (to already swap that card with their preferred card from the supply) or just to bluff (put a card that you will swap later anyways but that hides which goals you want to see fulfilled at the end of the round).

Quote:

- There is a typo that confused me: “Card 2: After you’ve played this card, you can swap one card from your opponent’s slots (also with one card of the supply. Your opponent is not allowed to execute the action of the new card.” I'm guessing "(also" should be omitted?
Thanks for noticing that, I will update the rules (on tuesday) with some extra pictures to clarify the landmark function of the client cards).

Quote:

- The special instructions at the top of some cards confused me. I’m not sure what this means: “Is this card in front of 1? 6 turns into 1-5”. Does that mean if the 6 is next to a 1, I can call it a 2 (for example) to score a run (Goal #4)?
Thanks for pointing out that it's not clear, that's another thing I'll have to clarify in the rules. Put briefly: as your slots are facing your opponents slots, cards are lying in front of your opponents cards. Hence, when at the end of the round your 6 is lying in front of your opponent's 1, your 6 turns into a 1 - 5. That can be positive (e.g. to score a run), or negative (your six is no longer a six).

Remark: in the new rules, I'll also change the rule a bit (6 will only turn into 2 - 5 or so ... still thinking).

Quote:

- What happens if you have two or three copies of “Card 2”, which states, “Play this card last: No action”? Does one get played second last? Or does it mean if you play this card last, then there is no action? What does “no action” mean here?
Good remark, I have to simplify the rules there too. In the update, the restriction on card 2 will be deleted. A general rule will be added: as soon as you've filled your fifth slot (and played the action of the card you just added to that slot), your five slots can't be altered anymore (e.g. by your opponent playing action 2 after you).

Quote:

- I managed to play 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 during one of my rounds. Do I just earn $3 for 1, 2, 3? What about 2, 3, 4? And 3, 4, 5? Do I just claim the prize once? Is there an advantage to playing a run of 4 or 5?

Indeed, every card can be scored only once (if you have two cards with the same goal, then you can score that goal twice etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry flower
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
henry flower wrote:
In fact, we declined to play an action most of the time. Is this usual?
In all the rounds we played, I don't think I ever found a reason to play Action 3 (swapping my own slot cards). I suppose if I were playing at a super high level, I might try to deceive my opponent by playing a card in the wrong slot (and then swap positions). Or, there might be situations where my strategy changed after playing a card. But these seem relatively rare, so Action 3 felt pointless.

Action 4 was similar. I couldn't think of a reason to play a card onto a slot and then use an action to put the card back in my hand.

As for Action 5, I could see the usefulness of deleting a card from the general supply, but I couldn't see a scenario in which I would want to delete one from my own slot.

It seems to me that some of the most useful actions aren't offered: swapping one of my own cards (slot or hand) for one of the opponent's slot cards, or deleting one of the opponent's slot cards.

Have any of these actions been play tested?

+++

On a related note, I was trying to understand why I was struggling to get my head around the game. And I came to the conclusion that despite the overt theme, the tasks remained quite abstract -- I was never able to connect the actions to "fika". For example, what do the "general supply", "slots" and "hands" represent in terms of "fika"? How do the various actions and goals relate to "fika"? Perhaps you could try to make the connections more explicit for the player.

Anyhow, these are just a few thoughts.

hfninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Falun
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cayca wrote:
And now I know why the chain of Fika restaurants in NYC is called that way.
I'm looking forward to trying this game.
I hope you'll like it, though in the next post you'll see that I'm still about to change some rules etc.

Think of the game as a quick game like a good shot of espresso. I like for intance Guildhall / Morels / Haggis ... no extremely elaborated strategies, but a decent number of fine tactical choices (balanced with some luck etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Falun
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all your comments, Henry. I'll go through your suggestions in this post, but first I can say that I've made some drastic changes to the different actions and goals, thanks to your remarks.

FIKA version 3 has now turned into FIKA version 4. In general, there are more interactive actions.

henry flower wrote:

In all the rounds we played, I don't think I ever found a reason to play Action 3 (swapping my own slot cards). I suppose if I were playing at a super high level, I might try to deceive my opponent by playing a card in the wrong slot (and then swap positions). Or, there might be situations where my strategy changed after playing a card. But these seem relatively rare, so Action 3 felt pointless.

Action 4 was similar. I couldn't think of a reason to play a card onto a slot and then use an action to put the card back in my hand.

As for Action 5, I could see the usefulness of deleting a card from the general supply, but I couldn't see a scenario in which I would want to delete one from my own slot.

It seems to me that some of the most useful actions aren't offered: swapping one of my own cards (slot or hand) for one of the opponent's slot cards, or deleting one of the opponent's slot cards.
In the playtests I recorded, card 3 was often chosen at the end. However, I think that that's also because of the goal of the card.

My impression is that action 4 and 5 may be underestimated at first sight.

Action 4 lets you play a preferred action more than once (you play an action, then you take that card back in your hand and you can play that action again).

Action 5 is usually played at the end of the game to solve problems (because an emtpy slot becomes non-existent).

My general impression after reading your feedback is that the game hasn't invited you to play interactively or even agressively so far (it seems that both players just play every card they want without really obstructing each other's plans, everyone can simply fulfill the different goals)? So I assume version 3 isn't interactive enough. I'll try to solve that in version 4. Hopefully the update succeeds better at making players 'fight' for the best FIKA table. Yet, my only fear is that too much interaction undermines strategic possibilities, so the challenge for me will be to find a good balance between those two factors.

Even though I don't think that a short game with only 18 cards can let players develop long and drawn out strategy, there must be some strategic decisions to be made (I always make up a plan A as soon as I get my 6 hand cards). Furthermore, I thinks it's of crucial importance that there's a good balance between luck and tactics: small and instant decisions that alter the final outcome of a round and flatten out the effect of a 'good or bad hand'.

Games that I like because of this balance between interaction - game length - tactics - luck - strategy are: Guildhall, Haggis, Morels, The fox in the forest, maybe battle line and the likes.

Quote:

Have any of these actions been play tested?
Yes and no. In the first version of the game (last summer), the game consisted merely of interactive actions. At that time we (I usually play the game with my spouse first a number of times before showing it to friends) felt that the balance of the game wasn't good enough. There was simply no way to make strategic decisions, the best option was to simply boycot your opponent. That's maybe why the more agressive actions where omitted quickly. Yet, version 1 was a completely different game (also the goals were interactive etc.), so it's good to give some actions a new chance in version 4.

Quote:

On a related note, I was trying to understand why I was struggling to get my head around the game. And I came to the conclusion that despite the overt theme, the tasks remained quite abstract -- I was never able to connect the actions to "fika". For example, what do the "general supply", "slots" and "hands" represent in terms of "fika"? How do the various actions and goals relate to "fika"? Perhaps you could try to make the connections more explicit for the player.
Version 4 offers no other theme or story. But I think the theme is good as it is. Imagine it as follows: two catering companies are asked to serve the FIKA of a big company (e.g. IKEA). They both have 5 tables to fill, and as they're each on one side of banquet hall, there's some sort of corridor between them. They are putting the different coffeemachines, teabags and pastries on their 5 tables, taking them out of their van (hand cards) and the kitchen of the banquet hall (the general supply). Then, some early clients start walking through the corridor in between the two tables and they turn towards the table they like most(that's why the back of the cards show clients eating, drinking and chatting a bit). It's not very deep a theme, but as the game takes the time of only one coffee, I think it's fine. It's a bit like in the picture (see weblink)

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g2748...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wake
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Pieter, some thoughts from my recent game of FIKA (played with Sam Illingworth).

First up, we both really liked the theme. While the game underneath seems pretty abstract the topic and cards were enough to grab our attention (we're both coffee fanatics and the connection of the theme with a game that could be played in a cafe was perfect!). We also really liked the fact that the cards could be printed on just a single sheet - it's a very appealing design for a PnP (and made us think about our own entry which needs a whopping 9). It would be nice if the rules also fit onto a 2 sides to match this (currently they go onto 3).

Our first thoughts related to the rulebook which we found a bit hard to follow. As the appeal of the game is partly its short playtime it would be great to see these clarified and streamlined. In particular we'd have loved it if the two appendices (actions and goals) could be easier to infer from the cards themselves (we had to keep looking things up throughout the game to see what things meant).

Perhaps the rules/appendices could include and explain the icons?

We also wondered (as has been said already) how you keep track of the various slots. It felt like a playmat would have made things much easier. having seen the video I now see how you do this with the client cards.

In terms of the gameplay, it seemed to work well but the constant cross-referencing disrupted the flow of things for us (lots of games would of course speed things up). We wondered if it might be easier to play if there was a single set of goals (shared by all cards) - in effect it'd be a bit like Yahtzee but with the emphasis on placement and with the possibility of scoring several different goals in one round. Of course there's a risk that this much simplification could spoil things but we thought it might be worth a try.

Overall, we enjoyed this and look forward to seeing the next iteration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Falun
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Paul Wake wrote:
Hi Pieter, some thoughts from my recent game of FIKA (played with Sam Illingworth).

First up, we both really liked the theme. While the game underneath seems pretty abstract the topic and cards were enough to grab our attention (we're both coffee fanatics and the connection of the theme with a game that could be played in a cafe was perfect!). We also really liked the fact that the cards could be printed on just a single sheet - it's a very appealing design for a PnP (and made us think about our own entry which needs a whopping 9). It would be nice if the rules also fit onto a 2 sides to match this (currently they go onto 3).
First of fall: THANKS for the kind comments and helpful feedback. That triggers me to develop this game further

I rewrote the rules and with the help of Inkscape (such a great program, that is) I managed to put them on one A4 (front and back).

I've updated all the links in the initial post.

Quote:

Our first thoughts related to the rulebook which we found a bit hard to follow. As the appeal of the game is partly its short playtime it would be great to see these clarified and streamlined. In particular we'd have loved it if the two appendices (actions and goals) could be easier to infer from the cards themselves (we had to keep looking things up throughout the game to see what things meant).

Perhaps the rules/appendices could include and explain the icons?
I've tried to solve this problem by deleting ALL icons from the cards and replacing them by text. The only downside is that the game is now language dependent, but I suppose English is not a problematic language for any user of this forum (although I make errors from time to time)

Quote:

We also wondered (as has been said already) how you keep track of the various slots. It felt like a playmat would have made things much easier. having seen the video I now see how you do this with the client cards.
I guess the version you played was version 3. This issue has been covered in the rules from version 4 onwards. However, as English is not my native language, I found it hard to exactly explain how the client cards could be used as landmarks. If the rules remain unclear at any point, just let me know (and feel free to suggest a better paraphrase )

Quote:

In terms of the gameplay, it seemed to work well but the constant cross-referencing disrupted the flow of things for us (lots of games would of course speed things up). We wondered if it might be easier to play if there was a single set of goals (shared by all cards) - in effect it'd be a bit like Yahtzee but with the emphasis on placement and with the possibility of scoring several different goals in one round. Of course there's a risk that this much simplification could spoil things but we thought it might be worth a try.
I think that's an idea that could work very well, but I'd need more time to test it out first. I'll keep it for an eventual update in the future, or for one of the other games I'm planning to design.

Quote:

Overall, we enjoyed this and look forward to seeing the next iteration.
Thanks, when you put your game back online, let me know, I'll gladly test it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Falun
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've started to implement this game on Tabletopia.

I hope to be able to publish an online version of this game soon. Yet, if you want to play it, don't wait for the online version. It's my first Tabletopia experience, so I'm not sure whether it will work out as expected. Remember It's only one sheet to be printed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Falun
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've put my game on Tabletopia, so it can be beta-tested out there. It's my first game on Tabletopia, so if you find mistakes etc. please let me know.

https://tabletopia.com/playground/fika-ak3gu1/play-now

I'd love to playtest the game through Tabletopia with anyone who's interested. Just leave a message on this page (or PM) so we can set a date to play.

In the coming weeks I'm planning some updates:
-- reread the rules and correct errors (no huge changes, but I've noticed a lot of spelling errors etc. )
-- make some tutorial videos using Tabletopia (a video about the gameplay and then a video in which every card is explained)
-- make a video with some tactical advice

https://tabletopia.com/workshop/widget/fika-ak3gu1/680x340

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Falun
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: [WIP] FIKA - 2019 two-player-pnp-game-design-contest (Tabletopia / component ready)
I just uploaded a new tutorial. It's shorter than the previous one and it shows the gameplay on Tabletopia.

I'm planning to make a small video about every single card (action / goal). Later on, I would also make a small video about tactics.

The previous video (on version 3) can still be found here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bCKszxglFyiZjgFV3CbDE8q-eV...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Falun
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: FIKA - 2019 two-player-pnp-game-design-contest (Tabletopia / component ready)
I made a Two minute tutorial in which I explain the action and goal of CARD 1. If things are still unclear, please leave a message.

I'm planning to make a video about every other card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Falun
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: FIKA - 2019 two-player-pnp-game-design-contest (Tabletopia / component ready)
So here's a Two minute tutorial in which I explain the action and goal of CARD 2.

If things are still unclear, please leave a message.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Falun
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And here's a video on card number 3: its action and goal are explained.

When all cards are covered, I hope I can redo the main tutorial video so that it becomes a five minute overview of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt The GM
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one observation on setup:
Currently you deal out the hands first, and then the supply. If the supply doesn't contain the right amount of different cards you collect all the cards in and start over.
Would it not be better to switch those 2 steps over? Lay out the supply cards first, discarding any that dont fit the requirements until you have 4 that do. Then shuffle the remaining cards with any you discarded and deal the hands and client cards. No redeals needed....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Falun
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MATTtheGM wrote:
Currently you deal out the hands first, and then the supply. If the supply doesn't contain the right amount of different cards you collect all the cards in and start over.
Would it not be better to switch those 2 steps over?
You're completely right. Thanks for the advice.

I'm planning a remake of the basic tutorial video and the rules in which I'll change the order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Falun
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I tried to make a two minute video on card 4, but it became a three minute video:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emiel Ament
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoi Pieter,

Cool game!

The rulebook is really good. Short and understandable.

I would use a picture of one the actual cards in 'Game Parts' though. Not one with empty boxes.

It looks like there is a lot of card swapping going on, which means you have to keep changing your tactics (and hope for the best).

I also like the fact this is a small game which means it's easy to print. It's also easy to play in small spots (like for example in the train).

I couldn't open any of your video's though. (It's says: the player is having trouble. We'll have it back up and running as soon as possible.) I don't know why. I'll try again later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |