45 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2  | 

Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: How to know if your Terraforming Mars is genuine with pictures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris DeGuide
msg tools
I too recieved a counterfeit copy of TM, mine was from Amazon. It felt a little off to me but I couldn't find anything that really proved it until I read a comment by Jacob Fryxelius recommending tearing open the extra card and seeing if the card had a black core. Mine didn't, I let Stronghold and Amazon know.

I had so much fun with the first two plays that I went ahead and bought from a more reliable retailer before I even boxed up the fake!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Williams
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiritseekerpsp wrote:
I too recieved a counterfeit copy of TM, mine was from Amazon. It felt a little off to me but I couldn't find anything that really proved it until I read a comment by Jacob Fryxelius recommending tearing open the extra card and seeing if the card had a black core. Mine didn't, I let Stronghold and Amazon know.

I had so much fun with the first two plays that I went ahead and bought from a more reliable retailer before I even boxed up the fake!

I just got TM from Amazon (Shipped and Sold by Amazon) and I'm not sure if it may be counterfeit or not. The metallic cubes are riddled with tons of tiny air bubbles in the metallic paint, but everything else seems about normal... I think. I'm hesitant to tear a card since I'm having trouble determining if I'm seeing other traits besides cube quality.

Was yours bought through Amazon through one of their many 3rd party sellers or was it listed as "Shipped and Sold by Amazon"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Xavier
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chadillac wrote:
spiritseekerpsp wrote:

I just got TM from Amazon (Shipped and Sold by Amazon) and I'm not sure if it may be counterfeit or not. The metallic cubes are riddled with tons of tiny air bubbles in the metallic paint, but everything else seems about normal... I think. I'm hesitant to tear a card since I'm having trouble determining if I'm seeing other traits besides cube quality.

Was yours bought through Amazon through one of their many 3rd party sellers or was it listed as "Shipped and Sold by Amazon"?

I know your question wasn't directed to me but I would look at these 3 things:
1) was it packaged appropriately
2)look at tiles, do they have a matte finish or are they very glossy- take a look at the side edges of the tile punch out board, can you see 2 white lines? The counterfeit copy looks like it was printed on white paper and affixed to the cardboard instead of direct printing (not sure if the real TM is directly printed but the my point still stands)
3) look at the thickness of the cards. I am not home right now but in about an hour I can measure the thickness of the cards deck in the counterfeit, it is significantly thicker than in a genuine copy.

I suspect if your only issue is with the cube paint, it's likely authentic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Williams
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drnaturalist wrote:
Chadillac wrote:
spiritseekerpsp wrote:
I too recieved a counterfeit copy of TM, mine was from Amazon. ...

2)look at tiles, do they have a matte finish or are they very glossy- take a look at the side edges of the tile punch out board, can you see 2 white lines? The counterfeit copy looks like it was printed on white paper and affixed to the cardboard instead of direct printing (not sure if the real TM is directly printed but the my point still stands)
3) look at the thickness of the cards. I am not home right now but in about an hour I can measure the thickness of the cards deck in the counterfeit, it is significantly thicker than in a genuine copy.

Thank you Charles for this reply and for taking the time to make this thread. I was too focused on trying to see the print quality differences by looking at image clarity and I should have looked more carefully at the more easily compared markers you summarized.

My copy shipped and sold from Amazon on 1/29/2019 IS GENUINE.

The packaging was pretty standard. The punch boards are one seamless layer without the white lines, and the finish is faintly matte and linen. Although my metallic cubes "paint?" quality is disappointing, the clarity of my translucent/colored plastic cubes is not foggy and they are free of air bubbles.

I think I had misremembered some of the colors and art being more vivid and then seeing the cube quality it triggered my paranoia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Xavier
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chadillac wrote:
drnaturalist wrote:
Chadillac wrote:
spiritseekerpsp wrote:
I too recieved a counterfeit copy of TM, mine was from Amazon. ...

Thank you Charles for this reply and for taking the time to make this thread. I was too focused on trying to see the print quality differences by looking at image clarity and I should have looked more carefully at the more easily compared markers you summarized.

My copy shipped and sold from Amazon on 1/29/2019 IS GENUINE.

The packaging was pretty standard. The punch boards are one seamless layer without the white lines, and the finish is faintly matte and linen. Although my metallic cubes "paint?" quality is disappointing, the clarity of my translucent/colored plastic cubes is not foggy and they are free of air bubbles.

I think I had misremembered some of the colors and art being more vivid and then seeing the cube quality it triggered my paranoia.

Sorry for the delay, I just got home. I am glad you were able to confirm you received a genuine copy! Not that dealing with the refund process is difficult, it's just another hassle you'd like to avoid. Just for more information, the counterfeit decks are about 3.8 cm thick each. I cannot comment on genuine deck thickness since I've already opened mine up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stronghold games just e-mailed me the best way to find out if your copy is from the main counterfeit batch...
They told me to look at three cards: "Geothermal Power", "Industrial Center" or "Research". At first I wondered why, then I saw this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Duca
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
Magnate questa!
badge
Om Nom Nom...
mbmbmbmbmb
goldeneyeonline wrote:
At first I wondered why, then I saw this
Inte esting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Frost
United States
Sturgis
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that publishers(mostly Asmodee) are on this "fake" copies kick, but I have to wonder if there are other things at play at well. Terraforming Mars has had many print runs, can't there simply be differences in these, as to cardboard quality. I do understand the black core of the cards probably being fake. We just have to be careful to not always assume that because two boxes are different that its a fake.

With that said, the first version of TM was printed in the USA. Only the cubes come from China. IDK if this has changed, but he has indicated in the past that they normally stick with the same printer. So a Chinese manufacturer with no access to files is creating a clone, producing the carious components, boxing, shipping AND getting into distribution here in the states, without it coming from Stronghold?

I also have reservations about "third shift" manufacturing. Its not like a machine is pooping out boxes of TM. Various runs produce the different components and then they are boxed on an assembly line.

Just my two cents....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gkfrost9 wrote:
I know that publishers(mostly Asmodee) are on this "fake" copies kick, but I have to wonder if there are other things at play at well. Terraforming Mars has had many print runs, can't there simply be differences in these, as to cardboard quality. I do understand the black core of the cards probably being fake. We just have to be careful to not always assume that because two boxes are different that its a fake.
The publisher has already confirmed it's a fake, so why doubt it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gkfrost9 wrote:

With that said, the first version of TM was printed in the USA. Only the cubes come from China. IDK if this has changed, but he has indicated in the past that they normally stick with the same printer. So a Chinese manufacturer with no access to files is creating a clone, producing the carious components, boxing, shipping AND getting into distribution here in the states, without it coming from Stronghold?

I also have reservations about "third shift" manufacturing. Its not like a machine is pooping out boxes of TM. Various runs produce the different components and then they are boxed on an assembly line.

Just my two cents....
Believe me, when you see this fake, you know it's fake. You can see the images were scanned and reprinted clearly if you pay attention to it ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nimbus Aaron
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for this tip!

I just checked my copy, which I received today and was damn sure was fake. Sure enough, the exact same letters were missing!

I've contacted Amazon, hopefully I'll get a refund!

Thanks again, and big thanks to OP for all the other tell tale signs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for reporting this ...

I have seen any number of companies in China selling clearly underpriced copies of TM on eBay. I have reported about ten of them but eBay doesn't seem to ever take action.

I reported one to Stronghold but they seemed indifferent.

If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. If the seller isn't in your country and there are no pictures posted of the actual game being sold, give it a pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Black
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
Tigger playing Agricola. He lost!
mbmbmbmbmb
When I bought my fake copy eBay showed the seller was in Lancaster. However, it turns out China. Still selling fake copies as we speak. eBay aren’t interested. What I don’t understand is why they ship them in a plastic bag so the box gets crushed. So you’re already thinking something’s amiss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarolineBlack wrote:
When I bought my fake copy eBay showed the seller was in Lancaster. However, it turns out China. Still selling fake copies as we speak. eBay aren’t interested. What I don’t understand is why they ship them in a plastic bag so the box gets crushed. So you’re already thinking something’s amiss.
Because it's cheaper. If they cared about customers they'd find honest work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smith M
msg tools
Was looking at purchasing the game and it appears as though your original seller is somehow back on the market. How do they not have negative reviews in feedback?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dragon Jade
msg tools
Talmanes wrote:
drnaturalist wrote:
I have a Ph.D. in Pathology and I am finishing the last year of medical school.
Cool. If you start a company, call it Viron.
And don't forget to pay some royalties to the FryxBros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Frith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
drnaturalist wrote:

P.S @goldeneyeonline asked me to include the following in this post from his contact with Stronghold. "Stronghold games just e-mailed me the best way to find out if your copy is from the main counterfeit batch...
They told me to look at three cards: "Geothermal Power", "Industrial Center" or "Research". At first I wondered why, then I saw this"

As you can see the top row from the counterfeit is missing the "R" in the middle of the titles.

This is the most incontravertible evidence.

The other observations are qualitative differences "the components don't quite feel right" (I don't know what they should feel like) or "the cardstock is lower quality in the counterfeit" (I have just one version so can't compare between the two). But this is quantitative: the letters are clearly missing - you can tell that even when you only have 1 copy in front of you.

P.S. I did indeed have a counterfeit copy, Amazon have been informed and a refund given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont know if there are conterfit copies of Terraforming Mars.

I just know that my copy is not counterfit. I hbought it at Stronghold Games booth at GENCON. My copy quicky had cubes that look like these:

It was dissapointing but since the game is great I decided to just play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaqery wrote:
It's officially confirmed by stronghold games that there are counterfeit copies, and you can (in comparison) very easily see that they are counterfeit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristabelle Du Bast
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goldeneyeonline wrote:
Xaqery wrote:
It's officially confirmed by stronghold games that there are counterfeit copies, and you can (in comparison) very easily see that they are counterfeit!
Yes, the image of the cards above is the easiest way to spot it. If you add expansions to it there is a tiny difference in card size. I now have 180ish plays on my countrrfeit copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |