Subject: Why have an App for a Board game: This is an Invasion... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nate johnson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I see it, as more and more board games continue to integrate apps into the experience, it seems that the video game culture (that I play board games to escape from) has found a way to invade another aspect of life that was fine without screens...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
FFS...
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Kubas
Poland
Rzeszów
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
FFS...

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Fox
New Zealand
Titirangi
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
A bored barbarian flings a stone at the gates.

Rome: “Watch out, we’re being invaded!”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Davis
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the natural progression of things. Technology opens up possibilities that didn't exist before. I have to imagine people said the same thing when games like Dark Tower came out too.

Perhaps someone can chime in and recommend a few good games that don't use apps if they know of any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, they don’t make games without apps any longer. The federal government is going to require all new games to have apps, and air bags, by the end of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
FFS...

I don't know what your problem is.

I mean it is a completely new topic that hasn't been discussed on BGG or in this forum already.
What else is there to do but open a new thread and present this new insight into this topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rees
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newt321 wrote:
The way I see it, as more and more board games continue to integrate apps into the experience, it seems that the video game culture (that I play board games to escape from) has found a way to invade another aspect of life that was fine without screens...

This way of thinking that apps suddenly turn board games into video games is getting old. It's a very narrow interpretation of what constitutes a video game (apparently just animations on a screen) at best. Adding an app doesn't make a board game into a video game, it just adds a tool. You're not playing the game on the app, you're letting the app assist you in handling the tedious and/or play-area-consuming aspects of the game. All of the game is still played on your table and potentially with other people. A good example would actually be Gloomhaven, where apps can help you manage health, statuses, turn order, etc, but that's all a very small part of actually playing the game. The story and experience are still analog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is enough repetition here to almost cause me to mistake this forum for the wargamers forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I did an adv search for games from 2018 to 2018 and it showed 50 pages with 80 titles a page(no i didnt count all the pages) but lets say that 3000 games came out in 2018 how many do you think had any app integration?..maybe 10?..not sure i am seeing an invasion here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
There is enough repetition here to almost cause me to mistake this forum for the wargamers forum.

no, it's just a glitch in the matrix.

sorry ... spoiler alert:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
all boardgames are pure virtual as we live in a simulation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was totally against apps in games, especially when they weren't well-implemented or poorly produced. Then, I played Mansions of Madness 2e. In a co-op game, as a virtual DM, it's great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh ok good. I was afraid I had subscribed to this game too late and had missed this inevitable thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

I enjoy the repetition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is about as necessary as board games that require apps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
Sadly, they don’t make games without apps any longer. The federal government is going to require all new games to have apps, and air bags, by the end of the year.

And nutritional information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newt321 wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newt321 wrote:

Three things:

1. You play board games to escape from video games (or video game culture, whatever that means)? Don't you automatically escape from a video game when you turn it off?

2. You know you don't have to buy the game, correct?

3. We officially have 20x the number of threads complaining about games that use apps than we have actual games that use apps. The real epidemic here is the abundance of threads like this, and not the games themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zach66827 wrote:
It's the natural progression of things. Technology opens up possibilities that didn't exist before. I have to imagine people said the same thing when games like Dark Tower came out too.

Perhaps someone can chime in and recommend a few good games that don't use apps if they know of any.

Interesting. I have nothing in principle against hybridizing board games and computers. (I've had some design ideas of my own on this front, and one of my own games is becoming an app.)

I grew up with Dark Tower. In fact I adored it so much that I coded it for the high school mainframe computer using ASCII characters. We all loved it as kids.

All this said, I resonate with the OP's point about "invasion" via apps IF this becomes a dominant trend (clearly it isn't yet, but who knows?). Apps emphasize "screen culture" when many who play board games do so precisely with the goal of putting electronic screens away. (I say this as an avid player of video games and board games both.)

Dark Tower was gloriously analog in its electronics and clunkily centralized: it rocked precisely because we all were looking at the same tower (usually only the active player seeing the action) instead of at our own individual screens. And there was no chance that the Dark Tower would interrupt the game with a text or phone call :O

I am curious if the new LOTR game is simply app-friendly, if it uses only one single app, or is meant to be used one app per player, etc.?

Edit: OK, now I've seen the advertisement and the integrated centralized Ipad-style app. Looks very specialized. Intriguing! Maybe it will be good, maybe not. To me it looks like the game was designed around the app, perhaps, which could be interesting -- as opposed to a mere gimmick.

Edit: I'm partly writing this to find out just how friendly (or unfriendly) the BGG community has gotten in discussing meta-gaming issues (I haven't checked these sorts of threads in a while). Please don't disappoint me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Theldyrn wrote:

Interesting analogy, considering that Rome was successfully invaded by so-called barbarians multiple times.

(And no, I don't think that board games are being "invaded" by the digital. At least not yet. But I think it's a worthy topic to discuss. Then again, I'm late to the party and didn't realize how many find the topic old news.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Serneum wrote:
newt321 wrote:

This way of thinking that apps suddenly turn board games into video games is getting old. It's a very narrow interpretation of what constitutes a video game (apparently just animations on a screen) at best. Adding an app doesn't make a board game into a video game, it just adds a tool. You're not playing the game on the app, you're letting the app assist you in handling the tedious and/or play-area-consuming aspects of the game. All of the game is still played on your table and potentially with other people. A good example would actually be Gloomhaven, where apps can help you manage health, statuses, turn order, etc, but that's all a very small part of actually playing the game. The story and experience are still analog.

Really good example. I'd love to play face-to-face RPGs again without the hassle of computing everything with charts....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Noch gibt es dies Land nur im Geiste, doch stehen wir wachsam bereit. Am Feuer erklingen die Lieder für eine bessere Zeit.
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda feel the urge to start posting, on every boardgame's page that doesn't currently have an app, something like "Why don't we have an app for this game here..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also I’m a big fan of someone with a crusader avatar complaining about invasions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help but think that logistics will prevent domination by apps in board games for a long time, if not permanently. Creating apps is expensive! Most board game publishers simply can't afford it.

Am I right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Fox
New Zealand
Titirangi
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
alfseegert wrote:
Theldyrn wrote:

Interesting analogy, considering that Rome was successfully invaded by so-called barbarians multiple times.

(And no, I don't think that board games are being "invaded" by the digital. At least not yet. But I think it's a worthy topic to discuss. Then again, I'm late to the party and didn't realize how many find the topic old news.)

It's an easily recognisable motif, and that's all I needed.

The app for this game looks to be the latest in the line of "Dungeon Master" apps released by Fantasy Flight, where the app replaces the single-player antagonist which used to be common fare. It should generally follow the format the other apps have set: player agency and assets on the board side, discoverable scenario information on the app side. I look forward to hearing more about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.