Subject: Terra Mystica vs Gaia Project rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Dukai
Hungary
Kecskemét
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Both games were designed by the same people. The playmats look almost identical, and it seems to me that the only thing that was changed is the theme from Fantasy to Space.

What are the substantial differences between the two?

I am trying to decide which one I want to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaia project changed the cult track into a technology track with various upgrades you can get. Plus it has variable map setup. Both huge improvements imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Vasholz
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've already answered your own question. They're practically identical.

It's pretty simple, which theme do you like more? Space or fantasy? Buy whatever the answer is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danieldukai wrote:
Both games were designed by the same people. The playmats look almost identical, and it seems to me that the only thing that was changed is the theme from Fantasy to Space.

The tech tracks in Gaia Project are ten times more interesting than the cult tracks in TM. GP is a little more forgiving in that you can’t hardblock someone like you can in TM (you can always spend extra QIC to extend your range and get around any blocking attempt... but it may be super painful to have to do so). There’s also a variable map which is a huge improvement.

Between the two, and I love both, I prefer GP. That being said, the next TM expansion is an autobuy for me and will likely revitalize TM for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, they’re different enough to stand on their own. Fixed Vs. modular board, differences in power development tracks, faction powers, faction development over the course of the game, strategies, rule constraints, etc... If you can only get 1, I’d consider which theme you prefer, but if you enjoy either, I suspect it will only be a matter of time before you own both. Just my 2 shiny pennies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played TM some times, but never bought it.
But after playing GP I immediately bought it, it’s just that great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danieldukai wrote:

They don't sound like much when you just list them, but the effect of the changes are so monumental that they're very different games. GP is unquestionably better than TM. Although I can see liking TM's aesthetics more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Harding
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." - Salvador Dali
badge
Mostly harmless
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to what has already been said:

TM plays up to 5 and GP currently does not (this may change in a future expansion). If that is a player count that's important to you, this may influence your decision.

TM can be a slightly more aggressive game because there is a greater ability to block or hinder other players. This can be a good or bad thing depending on what your playgroup enjoys.

For me, I love both games and plan to keep playing both of them for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danieldukai wrote:

You might try giving the other 6.7x10^15 existing threads on this topic a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
danieldukai wrote:

If you could simply provide links to only half of those, this would be a convenient reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander S
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This kind of understates the magnatude of the difference. In TM, cults are an optional, if effective way to score extra points and generate extra power.
In GP, the tech track will contribute to your strategy and in part define it.

Further, favor vs technology tiles are completely different. Favor tiles (TM) provide a boost that is tied to specific cults, whereas Tech tiles are tied to certain track at setup, and can completely justify picking one race over another.

Finally, the way races are designed is so different that it feels like there is no designated round 1 build order that you need to follow to every time a race is played. Nomads? You'd be a fool to not get the stronghold round 1. But Xenos? You can grab a PI early for the income, or later for the ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Towne
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
As some have stated there are a few differences that separate the games. Gaia Project is the spiritual successor of TM and includes changes from lessons learned.

One thing not mentioned is the amazing automa included with GP. The solo experience is one of my favorites and I would recommend for any who enjoy solo games.

In general I would really recommend Gaia Project unless a 5 player count is a must for you. The improvements made to GP make it a better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have played Gaia once and Terra Mystica about 5.

I think Gaia is the better game as there is so much more to think about and the "cult" tracks give abilities far beyond the power and points gained in TM.

HOWEVER, I will not be getting Gaia as I believe TM is easier to teach and get to the table/remember rules if you are only going to play the game occasionally.

So in short I would say Gaia if you will play it lots and at two players.

TM if you play half dozen times a year (but not so good with 2 - still OK though, there are variants that supposedly make it better but I haven't tried them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why should TM be better with 3+?
I live GP with 3 or 4 (but 3 is faster), so unless I‘m playing online, I wouldn’t want to play 5 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
Why should TM be better with 3+?
I live GP with 3 or 4 (but 3 is faster), so unless I‘m playing online, I wouldn’t want to play 5 player.

You misunderstood. TM isn't so good with just 2 - it's ok but needs variants to make it better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know if the OP's question was ever directly answered:

GP merges the bonus tiles and cult tracks of TM in a way that makes them more interactive and allows the bonus tiles to vary.

GP has variable map, and plays better at low player counts as a result. TM has a fixed map (great with enough players to tighten things up, less so when too few players leaves things too open).

GP introduces "Quantum Intelligence Cubes" that can be used as a one-shot bonus to travel.

GP's openings are more flexible, where TM strategy is such that there are standard openings.

TM allows for "partial terraforming", where GP doesn't. GP has "transdim planets" that are colonized differently than other hexes, TM doesn't.

GP plays to four players, TM to five.

Personally, I feel like there's more strategic variability and replayability in GP than TM, though both are excellent games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
grant5 wrote:
danieldukai wrote:

If you could simply provide links to only half of those, this would be a convenient reply.
I don't see how sharing 3350000000000000 links in a forum like this could ever be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaia is better for solo and 2 player.

Other than that, if you've played neither, then it doesn't matter too much what the differences are. Both are great games with somewhat different rules built on the same game platform. There really isn't a basis to declare one inherently better than the other if you haven't played either. Just pick the one that speaks to you more aesthetically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Bowen
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wavedog98 wrote:
Gaia is better for solo and 2 player.

Other than that, if you've played neither, then it doesn't matter too much what the differences are. Both are great games with somewhat different rules built on the same game platform. There really isn't a basis to declare one inherently better than the other if you haven't played either. Just pick the one that speaks to you more aesthetically.

This. There are differences and things to prefer about either game but both offer a great and was incredibly similar experience. So player count is the best way to decide if you've haven't really played either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huskerphin wrote:
You've already answered your own question. They're practically identical.

It's pretty simple, which theme do you like more? Space or fantasy? Buy whatever the answer is.
As others stated above there are major differences... So I would very much disagree with your statement.
Gaia improved on many things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oedipussy Rex
msg tools
Webbe wrote:
fardoche wrote:
grant5 wrote:
danieldukai wrote:

I don't see how sharing 3350000000000000 links in a forum like this could ever be helpful.

Oh, it would be helpful, but you encounter diminishing returns after the first 250000000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
danieldukai wrote:

The tech tracks in Gaia Project are ten times more interesting than the cult tracks in TM. GP is a little more forgiving in that you can’t hardblock someone like you can in TM (you can always spend extra QIC to extend your range and get around any blocking attempt... but it may be super painful to have to do so). There’s also a variable map which is a huge improvement.

Between the two, and I love both, I prefer GP. That being said, the next TM expansion is an autobuy for me and will likely revitalize TM for me.

I agree with this summary, but will add that I personally prefer TM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Anthoes wrote:
This kind of understates the magnatude of the difference. In TM, cults are an optional, if effective way to score extra points and generate extra power.
In GP, the tech track will contribute to your strategy and in part define it.

Further, favor vs technology tiles are completely different. Favor tiles (TM) provide a boost that is tied to specific cults, whereas Tech tiles are tied to certain track at setup, and can completely justify picking one race over another.

Finally, the way races are designed is so different that it feels like there is no designated round 1 build order that you need to follow to every time a race is played. Nomads? You'd be a fool to not get the stronghold round 1. But Xenos? You can grab a PI early for the income, or later for the ability.

This is incorrect. Nomads are extremely flexible. TE+3D or 4D start is very strong and sometimes SH+3D is too. It really depends on rounds, BONs, player count, and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Terra Mystica and Gaia Project are both great games There are expansions coming out for Terra Mystica that will be very fun. Most of the differences have already been explained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Dukai
Hungary
Kecskemét
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So there are enough differences to warrant purchasing both.

Generally, I like fantasy themes more, but I might be getting into sci-fi first this time around.

After playing Stone Age and Village, I've discovered that I am more of a euro gamer and dislike games relying heavily on luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |