46 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2  | 

Gaia Project» Forums » General

Subject: Terra Mystica vs Gaia Project rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon B
msg tools
Apart from the differences in theme, cult/technology tracks and other small changes, for me it comes down to this:
Do you plan to play the game with 2 players? Then get Gaia Project. The size of the map is adapted to the number of players and that makes a huge impact.
For 3-4 players, both are great games.
For 5 players: Only TM allows to play with five players, but I wouldn't recommend it anyway because it usually leads to a lot of downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark_lenders
Italy
flag msg tools
we often play GP with 5 players, and the game is still very good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
Gaia Project is way better because of all the different configurations with the map, tech setup, and end game scoring. Also, the factions feel and play in very unique and interesting ways. Gaia Project replaced TM for me. TM was previously my tied favorite game with Caverna. Now GP has been my favorite game since its release even after playing it over 100 times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oedipussy Rex
msg tools
Limitless333 wrote:
Gaia Project is way better because of all the different configurations with the map

Absolutely. Don't even get me started on Chess. The board never changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OedipussyRex wrote:
Limitless333 wrote:
Gaia Project is way better because of all the different configurations with the map

Bobby Fischer's Random Chess. whistle

(ok, so the board didn't change but the pieces position do!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
OedipussyRex wrote:
Limitless333 wrote:

To be fair, chess is not exactly a game I'd put in high regard with respect to its design. Go would be a much better example, although the sheer number of possible opening moves (and subsequent moves) kind of diminishes the need for a variable setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OedipussyRex wrote:
Limitless333 wrote:

Which is why the MCO-13 (Modern Chess openings) was a 700 page book just listing moves in thousands of openings. And why many players I knew had 50 - 100 standard opening sequences memorized out to at least 20 or 30 moves.

One of the things I dislike most about Chess is the extent to which it's a game of memorization. It's also a thing I dislike about TM. A lot of players, at least the good ones, can look at the round goals/bonuses and already know what race they'll pick and what their opening move should be.

Anything I can do to avoid situations where players are relying their memory of how to play a certain opening position, the better. I don't have the time or inclination required to research what the standard approach to a given situation should be. I'd much rather be given a random starting position where we're both required to analyze what's going on and where my opponent can't pull on their memory of how it should be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
OedipussyRex wrote:
Limitless333 wrote:

Which is why the MCO-13 (Modern Chess openings) was a 700 page book just listing moves in thousands of openings. And why many players I knew had 50 - 100 standard opening sequences memorized out to at least 20 or 30 moves.

One of the things I dislike most about Chess is the extent to which it's a game of memorization. It's also a thing I dislike about TM. A lot of players, at least the good ones, can look at the round goals/bonuses and already know what race they'll pick and what their opening move should be.

Anything I can do to avoid situations where players are relying their memory of how to play a certain opening position, the better. I don't have the time or inclination required to research what the standard approach to a given situation should be. I'd much rather be given a random starting position where we're both required to analyze what's going on and where my opponent can't pull on their memory of how it should be played.

This, so much this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
OedipussyRex wrote:
Limitless333 wrote:

I think what this discussion shows is that the "flaws" you're discussing are not all that peculiar to chess or TM. People have compiled 700-page chess openings because the game has been around for centuries and it's one of the most well-known and repeatedly played games in the world. Only the peculiar people who have played hundreds of games of chess memorize openings. Most ordinary players don't memorize openings, and so you have a nice strategic and tactical game.

If people have 70 games of any decent game under their belt, they could start memorizing the ideal openings based on the opening game state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
OedipussyRex wrote:
Limitless333 wrote:

This will be much more difficult for Terra Mystica in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
OedipussyRex wrote:
Limitless333 wrote:

you really like to tease us, don't you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
OedipussyRex wrote:
Limitless333 wrote:

Yeah, the new expansion is an autobuy for me and will revitalize the game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
JamesWolfpacker wrote:

you really like to tease us, don't you?

Not for too much longer, maybe a week or less. whistle Gotta have fun while it lasts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Smith
msg tools
mitcharf wrote:

TM plays up to 5 and GP currently does not (this may change in a future expansion). If that is a player count that's important to you, this may influence your decision.

This used to be a sticking point stopping me from upgrading until I realised that you can play 5p in GP since it has all the components, the only issue being a tighter map and longer game time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vanquish7 wrote:
This used to be a sticking point stopping me from upgrading until I realised that you can play 5p in GP since it has all the components, the only issue being a tighter map and longer game time.

Since this seems to be an aspect of high importance to you, I'd suggest to always let Lantids be part of the 5p games (give them a small buff via a house rule if you feel that they are too weak). This will compensate a little for the non-scaling map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Smith
msg tools
Thanks for the tip!

I’ve traded TM for Gaia Project, got my first game in and hope to do solo this weekend (my conundrum of the week is: do I record solo plays on my BGstats app as I don’t log plays of my iOS board games haha).

It’s a fantastic game though, a clear step up from Terra in basically every way. I was worried about the blocking being watered down but some particularly annoying moves by one of the other players in my first game has disabused me of that notion!

I’m actually surprised they’re still putting out expansions for Terra, as it’s basically been superseded by Gaia Project - it’s definitely not a Agricola/Caverna situation where you can see why people prefer the earlier game. As I see it, people would only prefer Terra because of the theme, art, more memorable races or the somewhat lower rules overhead and shorter play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vanquish7 wrote:
I’m actually surprised they’re still putting out expansions for Terra, as it’s basically been superseded by Gaia Project - it’s definitely not a Agricola/Caverna situation where you can see why people prefer the earlier game. As I see it, people would only prefer Terra because of the theme, art, more memorable races or the somewhat lower rules overhead and shorter play time.

There has been endless discussions on this topic, so if you seriously want to dive into why people still like TM better (I like them both equally with a slight preference for TM), you can search around the forums of both games. You will probably also find a lot of my posts on these topics. Suffice to say, they are both different enough to cater to different player preferences. GP leans more towards the Euro-style optimization aspect whereas TM has a greater focus on area control and competition.

TM still has a huge community gathered behind it (which you might not be aware of if you are only dwelling on this forum), additionally GP has nowhere been understood enough to warrant a big-box expansion yet. I actually like GP as it is right now and would only want to see some small promo expansion like what they did for TM (one of the best expansion I know of) - I think a big box expansion would actually detract from my enjoyment of the game, as I am already somewhat underwhelmed by the Gaiaforming that was bolted onto the system. If you really cannot get enough GP in your life, I'd suggest checking out bobral's excellent faction pack.

I for one cannot wait for the two upcoming expansions and am extremely happy about their release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
vanquish7 wrote:
Thanks for the tip!

I’ve traded TM for Gaia Project, got my first game in and hope to do solo this weekend (my conundrum of the week is: do I record solo plays on my BGstats app as I don’t log plays of my iOS board games haha).

It’s a fantastic game though, a clear step up from Terra in basically every way. I was worried about the blocking being watered down but some particularly annoying moves by one of the other players in my first game has disabused me of that notion!

The two coming expansions for Terra Mystica really give a huge expansion to decision space. Having both TM and GP will be a lot of fun to play either and will have different feel even with many of the similar mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyndon P
msg tools
bluesheep wrote:
[q="vanquish7"]

TM still has a huge community gathered behind it (which you might not be aware of if you are only dwelling on this forum), additionally GP has nowhere been understood enough to warrant a big-box expansion yet. I actually like GP as it is right now and would only want to see some small promo expansion like what they did for TM (one of the best expansion I know of) - I think a big box expansion would actually detract from my enjoyment of the game, as I am already somewhat underwhelmed by the Gaiaforming that was bolted onto the system. If you really cannot get enough GP in your life, I'd suggest checking out bobral's excellent faction pack.

I for one cannot wait for the two upcoming expansions and am extremely happy about their release.

As someone who only entered the hobby at the end of 2017, what I could see is that all my heavy gamer friends/acquaintances who played Terra all had moved onto Gaia Project and the only people who were happy sticking with TM were those who hadn't played Gaia Project and preferred fantasy to sci-fi themes. All the podcasts, reviewers, bgg/reddit threads also indicated an overwhelming preference for Gaia Project.

So I see the two games like Twilight Imperium 4th edition vs 3rd edition, you get a small minority who prefer 3rd edition but the overwhelming majority have moved onto 4th edition as a refinement of the existing game system.

JamesWolfpacker wrote:

The two coming expansions for Terra Mystica really give a huge expansion to decision space. Having both TM and GP will be a lot of fun to play either and will have different feel even with many of the similar mechanics.

I find this decision really interesting, as I wonder what the designer views as TM's unique character and the potential to expand on this character with not one but two expansions!. I'd say, besides the higher aggression/blocking and importance of turn zero strategy in TM, the main difference in character between the games is theme/art related.

So I'd think that any Terra Mystica expansion could just as easily be released for GP, perhaps the reason they are releasing an expansion for a largely superseded game is to differentiate it (rather than building on any of its inherent virtues that it doesn't share with GP), thereby reducing how 'superseded' it is, which will appease people who prefer TM's theme and make it more viable to continue to print and sell both games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
lyndon_p wrote:

JamesWolfpacker wrote:

I find this decision really interesting, as I wonder what the designer views as TM's unique character and the potential to expand on this character with not one but two expansions!. I'd say, besides the higher aggression/blocking and importance of turn zero strategy in TM, the main difference in character between the games is theme/art related.

So I'd think that any Terra Mystica expansion could just as easily be released for GP, so perhaps the reason they are releasing an expansion for a largely superseded game is to differentiate it (rather than building on any of its inherent virtues that it doesn't share with GP), thereby reducing how 'superseded' it is, which will appease people who prefer TM's theme and make it more viable to continue to print and sell both games.

One expansion is mine and the other is the original designers. It does differentiate it. However, keep in mind there are plenty of games that have multiple lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyndon P
msg tools
JamesWolfpacker wrote:

One expansion is mine and the other is the original designers. It does differentiate it. However, keep in mind there are plenty of games that have multiple lines.

Ah I see, looking forward to seeing what gameplay ideas the new expansions bring to the TM family of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.