Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the question, on ASLSK#1 Rules. I was playing my first scenario trying to learn the rules. I guess I am a little confused on the Defensive Fire Rules

3 German Squads and a Leader are in a House that needs to be taken for the Americans to win. The Americans advanced into the LOS out in the open 2 hexes away from Germans in the building. So the Germans choose to First Fire on the Americans. The shot is through one orchard hex and into the Americans (Total DRM –1 -1 FFMO+-1 FFNAM + +1 Orchard + 0 German Leader) The dice rolls does not results in any hits or morale checks. The Americans move one more hexes into the Orchard adjacent to Germans in the building. The Germans elect to do Subsequent First Fire on the Americans (closest Americans other than the ones advancing are two hexes away). This time they break one unit (1/2 FP 2x FP for PB, plus –2 Modifiers). So now is where I get confused..

Can the Germans Conduct Final Protective Fire again? (At ½ FPF, -2 DRM, plus the NMC on the German DR ) So in fact the German Squad gets 3 attempts at the Americans as they move closer? 2 of the 3 shots occur in the adjacent hex.
Just trying to rationalize it in my mind and compare with other systems. I am having a hard time grasping the FPF. If the FPF DR is a “success” on the IFT and a failure on the NMC for the defenders, do you still resolve the attack?

Thanks in advance.
Erik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First shot DRM:

+1 orchard
-1 FFNAM
= +0

Second shot DRM:

+0 orchard
-1 FFNAM
= -1

First Fire Movement in the Open (FFMO) is only applicable if no TEM or Hindrances exist. (In ASL we have Low Visibility (LV) Hindrances which do not negate FFMO DRM, but that's a another story...)

No, the Germans can not conduct FPF because the moving unit only used 1MF entering the hex. If it had been Woods and the moving unit expended 2MF, then the Germans could fire a 2nd time.

So, if it was Woods, the Germans could use FPF, and yes, even if the DR breaks the attacker, the attack is resolved normally.

And note that because in Defensive Fire Phase, the German would be marked Final Fire (having used Subsequent First Fire) it would not be allowed to attack.

So, when a unit moves adjacent, especially in non-open ground, it is sometimes important to hold your fire. If he the stacks up a few units, you can use the Defensive Final Fire Phase to attack at half ( and doubled for point blank) firepower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
TheBigE wrote:
If the FPF DR is a “success” on the IFT and a failure on the NMC for the defenders, do you still resolve the attack?

Both the FPF attack and the NMC occur using the same dice roll, regardless of what the result of the NMC turns out to be.

i.e. if you roll 6 you apply the modifiers and look it up on the fire table column and apply the results to the moving units, then you take 6 as a morale check - that you would probably pass since few German squads break on 6.

Rolling 3 on FPF is great, rolling 11 less so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.