Popular Tags: [View All]
Rex Brynen
Canada
Baie d'Urfé
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is already an earthquake-themed game called AFTERSHOCK, used in the military and humanitarian assistance community for training purposes.

https://paxsims.wordpress.com/aftershock/

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/180994/aftershock-humani...

UPDATE

This issue has now been amicably resolved: https://paxsims.wordpress.com/2019/02/08/a-happy-aftershocks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanover Dean
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I'm sure people will be able to tell the difference. I've never seen that game on shelves at any of the game places I go to , or retail outlets. I'm sure they will be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I saw this and thought it was problematic to publish a new game with a similar theme and name as one currently published. At best, it’s poor market research.

Edit: I reached out to Stronghold and it does seem to be a research problem. They said:

Quote:
We were unaware of the name until yesterday and we appreciate that it has been brought to our attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Brynen
Canada
Baie d'Urfé
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AFTERSHOCK: A Humanitarian Crisis Game is a training/education game aimed at humanitarian aid workers, military and diplomatic personnel, and students--which is why you won't find it on the shelves of your local gaming store. It has been used by the US and other militaries, UN agencies, NGOs, and various universities.

It is also a non-profit project, with all net proceeds going to UN humanitarian agencies.

My concerns are that: 1) serious front-line users looking for the game will accidentally purchase a game designed for entertainment purposes, and 2) it will cut into AFTERSHOCK sales that currently contribute to actual humanitarian relief operations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Maybe this version of the game is meant to be another scenario option for those relief workers to train on?
"Now wait a minute. I have a total of 9 bridge tiles out there...that will give me 7 points. That will help alleviate suffering in the area!!"

(Thanks for bringing up this issue. I knew nothing about the original "Aftershock". After looking into it, it looks right up my alley!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Shoot
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
Maybe this version of the game is meant to be another scenario option for those relief workers to train on?
"Now wait a minute. I have a total of 9 bridge tiles out there...that will give me 7 points. That will help alleviate suffering in the area!!"

(Thanks for bringing up this issue. I knew nothing about the original "Aftershock". After looking into it, it looks right up my alley!)

Rex is right and I would like to add, "Is it THAT hard to put the word "aftershock" into the BGG database and see what comes up?! Stronghold Games, really? You 'hadn't heard of it'?! " shake

"This Guy", you are being more than generous and diplomatic calling it a "research problem." Sounds like whoever is doing their "research" is....snore Or more likely, they did know about it but thought the first game had too small of an audience for anyone to notice, but "Aw, snap"... somebody did!

If the first game had been published like 20 years ago, I might also feel different, but it was published in 2015!

Here's a solution: my first thought about this problem, even before reading Rex's post was "Gee, maybe more people will actually hear about the original game because of the second...."

So, since Stronghold is a bigger, established publisher... and since it is true that their game is totally different, maybe they could put a statement somewhere acknowledging the first game... especially for those who like "heavy" games. (Or at least when they feature it at the big gaming conferences?)

Personally, the first game looks too "heavy" for me to buy anyway, but it would be a kind gesture to use a bit of their wide-exposure to help a non-profit venture. Isn't "giving back" a win-win?

(And I have no pre-conceived notions about Stronghold Games..... but this doesn't look good..)

Just my 2 cents...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I own a copy of Rex's game and look forward to playing it soon. I'm very interested in seeing a positive outcome for him.

My limited experience as a customer and game enthusiast is that Stronghold is a good industry citizen. I've talked and played with their president on a few occasions at cons. I choose to think this was an honest, if absurdly easy to avoid, mistake.

I had thought it might be an opportunity to gracefully pull back before the project failed, then adapt based on the feedback they've been getting on quality, design, and cost.

But, they just made it over their funding goal. So that makes things more complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I suspect the other Aftershock will benefit from this kerfuffle.
I just ordered it after becoming aware of it. I'm surprised it hasn't garnered more attention! Maybe some of the "established" game reviewers will now take a look at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Brynen
Canada
Baie d'Urfé
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
house14 wrote:

Here's a solution: my first thought about this problem, even before reading Rex's post was "Gee, maybe more people will actually hear about the original game because of the second...."

So, since Stronghold is a bigger, established publisher... and since it is true that their game is totally different, maybe they could put a statement somewhere acknowledging the first game... especially for those who like "heavy" games. (Or at least when they feature it at the big gaming conferences?)

Personally, the first game looks too "heavy" for me to buy anyway, but it would be a kind gesture to use a bit of their wide-exposure to help a non-profit venture. Isn't "giving back" a win-win?

It's a good idea. I'm sure it was just an oversight, and we would be very happy to find a win-win outcome to the situation (acknowledgment, marketing coordination, etc.) I've already suggested something along those lines to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
RexBrynen wrote:
house14 wrote:

It's a good idea. I'm sure it was just an oversight, and we would be very to find a win-win outcome to the situation (acknowledgment, marketing coordination, etc.) I've already suggested something along those lines to them.

At first glance, they could easily be construed as two versions of the same game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Whenever I see the criticisms of the Stronghold game’s verisimilitude (“Why are you building while aftershocks are still happening?” and “why are you causing aftershocks?”), I keep thinking, “Maybe they would have a better grip on it if they played the other Aftershock game.”
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

I'm feeling inspired to get back to work on my fantastic new train game "Ticket to Ride".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Aetheros wrote:
Whenever I see the criticisms of the Stronghold game’s verisimilitude (“Why are you building while aftershocks are still happening?” and “why are you causing aftershocks?”), I keep thinking, “Maybe they would have a better grip on it if they played the other Aftershock game.”

...which is what I will be doing.
Wasn't aware of it till posts here.
Ended up cancelling my KS pledge for the latest "Aftershock" and put in my order for the former. What with my background and multiple friends/family involved in one way or another with relief operations I couldn't resist!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Brynen
Canada
Baie d'Urfé
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this doesn't bode well.

When Stronghold Games tweeted about the game, I respectfully replied with a clarification that this was not the original AFTERSHOCK, but a different game using the same name:

Quote:
...and in response to all those emailing/DMing me, no this is not the same game as AFTERSHOCK (designed by me and published in 2014). Both are about earthquakes. Ours is used by disaster response professionals, and is a non-profit fundraiser for UN humanitarian relief operations.

I then got blocked by them on on Twitter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to add my vote to rectifying this situation. Rex Brynen's AFTERSHOCK is a great game on an important subject, not to mention that it's proceeds go to a good cause.

Please take action to fix this, especially given that the other game is only in Kickstarter stage. We don't want a confusion on titles to partially obscure a dynamic game that deserves name recognition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Everything!
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto on all counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RMN Gamer
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After writing a call for Stronghold Games to do something right they blocked me too. Apparently respectful calls for consideration are not welcome.

Guess that’s the end of buying Terraforming Mars expansions for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick LaLone
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Never remember to always forget...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's intensely disappointing to see almost no response at all on this from Stronghold. Also it's disappointing to see that the kickstarter is having issues on its own.

Interestingly, I had responded to Rex Brynen on Twitter when he tweeted at Stronghold. Originally, Stronghold liked my tweet but have since undone that and blocked everyone who mentioned the existing game.

I've used Aftershock in my classes multiple times to great effect. It's a fantastic game and should also be sold as a stealth "Brian Train Game." It has a lot of great asymmetric value and would benefit in that regard with wargamers.

In the end, i'm saddened to see it get anything but positive praise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
nicklalone wrote:
but have since undone that and blocked everyone who mentioned the existing game.

There's enough of us at this point to form our own support group

nicklalone wrote:
as a stealth "Brian Train Game."

Brian was part of the team that outlined the original bones of the game at the Connections conference in 2011, and is credited in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Brynen
Canada
Baie d'Urfé
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Being polite Canadians, here's our latest comment on the entire rather odd saga.

https://paxsims.wordpress.com/2019/02/05/aftershocks/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
nicklalone wrote:
It's intensely disappointing to see almost no response at all on this from Stronghold. Also it's disappointing to see that the kickstarter is having issues on its own.

Interestingly, I had responded to Rex Brynen on Twitter when he tweeted at Stronghold. Originally, Stronghold liked my tweet but have since undone that and blocked everyone who mentioned the existing game.

I've used Aftershock in my classes multiple times to great effect. It's a fantastic game and should also be sold as a stealth "Brian Train Game." It has a lot of great asymmetric value and would benefit in that regard with wargamers.

In the end, i'm saddened to see it get anything but positive praise.

Can there be such a thing as a stealth Brian Train game?
I didn't think I was that devious... ask my wife.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Somebody should do a geekbadge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RockyMountainNavy wrote:
After writing a call for Stronghold Games to do something right they blocked me too. Apparently respectful calls for consideration are not welcome.

Guess that’s the end of buying Terraforming Mars expansions for me.

After retweeting your tweet about being blocked, now I'm blocked.

This is insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Stronghold is full of it. Disagreeing that the name is a problem? Ok, fine. Blocking anyone who even brings it up? Not ok. They have "opened their mouths and removed all doubt."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitley

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:

Can there be such a thing as a stealth Brian Train game?

It comes in an underground box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |