Subject: Rule Changes with 2nd edition. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bart Hermans
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't played the game yet, but reading the reviews so far I found 2 rule changes that can change the gameplay. Those are

1) that the issue with spell casting and replenishing has been solved by limiting the number of spells cast to 1 spell per turn.
2) that you can increase craft by hoarding spirits and turn them in for a 7:1 craft ratio.

In 2nd edition craft was almost impossible to upgrade, and I wonder whether this change makes the game better or worse (since it becomes easier to become a (better) spellcaster now).

Please correct me if I got something wrong, and I would like to know other rule changes as well. And I'd like your opinion about those changes of course.

Bart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan T
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall that you could upgrade craft in the same way as might in the old edition. At least we played like that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got 4th edition and it says the number of spells you can cast on turn is based on the number of spells you started with at the beginning of your turn. In other words:

Rule 9:8 In their turn, the maximum number of spells a character may cast is equal to the number of spells they possesed at the start of that turn. But you can only cast 1 spell during another character's turn.

This is correct right? Or has it been changed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Spencer
United States
Marquette
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, for one, like the Craft 7:1 rule. It always stuck in my craw that you couldn't increase your Craft as easily as Strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysthjuk wrote:
I recall that you could upgrade craft in the same way as might in the old edition. At least we played like that

You could in the 3rd edition, although it worked in a slightly different way. You immediately changed the enemies into Experience points which could be cashed in for Strength or Craft (or Gold or Lives) at the same ratio (7:1).

In the first two editions you could only gain Craft through (non-combat) Encounters.

But I also immediately used the 3rd edition rules in my 2nd edition games as it made the game faster.

And I must say that I don't understand why they dropped the Experience points again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the new rulebook be online?

-Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bthermans wrote:
I haven't played the game yet, but reading the reviews so far I found 2 rule changes that can change the gameplay. Those are

1) that the issue with spell casting and replenishing has been solved by limiting the number of spells cast to 1 spell per turn.
2) that you can increase craft by hoarding spirits and turn them in for a 7:1 craft ratio.

Please correct me if I got something wrong, and I would like to know other rule changes as well. And I'd like your opinion about those changes of course.

I believe those are the changes compared to the 2nd Edition. There are some differences from 1st and 3rd editions, especially to the Crwon of Command space and spell. But the 4th edition is similar to the 2nd ed.

I am fine with both changes, although I would have have done both differently:

1) The rules apparently allow a player with the Wand and 3 spells to play the spell from his wand, draw a new one and cast that, then draw a new one and cast that.
Forgot to read the fine print.
The Wand is only recharged when you run out of Spells

I would have preferred that a player could only cast spells which was in possession at the start of his turn.

2) I would have preferred that defeated Enemies was cashed in for Experience points. That would save players from losing excess points and it would allow them to save Experience when defeating Enemies like the Sentinel, Pit Fiends etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Eastoe
United Kingdom
Street
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got 4th edition and it says the number of spells you can cast on turn is based on the number of spells you started with at the beginning of your turn. In other words:

Rule 9:8 In their turn, the maximum number of spells a character may cast is equal to the number of spells they possesed at the start of that turn. A Character may only cast one spell during another character's turn. This does not aplly to the Command Spell.

The Wand: if you have three spells, you do not draw a new one until you are reduced to zero Spells and you couldn't cast this one until it was another players turn!

The rulebook will be available online at some stage according to an official answer posted in the Black Industries forums!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, yes. Forgot that the Wand isn't automatically recharged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Um . . . My 2nd Ed FAQ says you can only cast one spell per round??
Plus Craft is better than Strength when trying to get through the Inner Region isn't it? Hence it's harder to get? I'm pretty sure there's a character (Witch Doctor?) whose special ability was to trade 10 Craft's worth of monsters for 1 extra Craft. His ability would be pretty w@nk if that experience point rule was kept I suppose . . .
But then, I didn't much care for the carefully balanced 3rd ed characters. Removes that joy of drawing, say, the Ninja, whilst someone else gets stuck with the Thief! Mwuhahaha . . .

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
2) I would have preferred that defeated Enemies was cashed in for Experience points. That would save players from losing excess points and it would allow them to save Experience when defeating Enemies like the Sentinel, Pit Fiends etc.

Why would you gain a Life or a Gold for fighting and defeating Enemies?

You fight Enemy Monsters, Dragons, and Animals with your Strength, so you would assume you get stronger.

Fighting Spirits with Craft would make you "craftier"

The Sentinel, Farmer, Pit Fiends, Farmer, Spirit and Ranger on the board spaces are Creatures and not Enemies, so they would not count for experience/carcasses/trophies anyway. The rules state that you need to keep "Enemy cards" towards gaining Strength and Craft.

There are plenty of opportunities to gain/heal lives and score some Gold anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me rephrase that, Jon.

I don't think the Experience points should be used to more than Craft and Strength.

I agree it could be illogic to buy Craft with experience gained from killing a 'strength' animal, but it would probably be too complicated to have two different types of experience. However, since the purple tokens (as they were in 3rd ed.) could be kept in seperate pools - together with the blue and red tokens - it will not complicate the game much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
talismanisland wrote:
The Sentinel, Farmer, Pit Fiends, Farmer, Spirit and Ranger on the board spaces are Creatures and not Enemies, so they would not count for experience/carcasses/trophies anyway.

Let me quote the official rules guru from another post here:

Elliott Eastoe wrote:
Yes, you may evade the Black Knight, Brigand in the Forest, Dragon or Goblin in the Cave, Farmer in the Tavern, Sentinel and the Spirit in the Crags. See rule 18:1-2 for clarification - rule 18:2(3) will soon include the word 'space' to clarify the inclusion of the Black Knight in this list.

You will notice that the Dwarf, Elf, Immobility and Invisibility Spells state the word 'Enemy' on their cards; this includes all of the above Creatures.

Elliott.

Notice that both the Sentinel and the Black Knight are listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Hermans
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cbarchuk wrote:

This is correct right? Or has it been changed?

Makes sense as a rule, and as I said before I never played 4 so I guess you are right

And about the craft 7:1 rule. It makes sense (with the paralel to strenght). Only problems I see are the number of spirits (just 5, of which one is craft 10, meaning everyone can get stuck with a spirit getting them completely out of the game) and the spells. But I ll assume they took this in consideration when changing the rules.

Thanks for the replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Notice that both the Sentinel and the Black Knight are listed.

Yes, but that is with regard to evading, not cashing in.

I do agree however, that this is an inconsistency that could be very easily fixed by the addition of a "creature" deck for all Enemy-esque encounters.

A simple card featuring those creatures, including those in the Cave etc, would suffice.

One of each type would be okay - if someone else encounters that particular creature then it can be the same as having a finite number of Talisman cards, if there is not one available in the deck then you do not gain the experience for that particular battle.

The Sentinel would, of course, give you an additional Strength point straight away, but if you happened to have some smaller denomination cards it could help you towards a second.

Kind of like this -

- apologies for the rush PS job
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.