Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Gage
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Great game and all, but as has been reported, pretty cheesy components.

I have solved the board problem with a sheet of plexiglas, but that still leaves the cardboard chits. Some of my friends actually like the chits, but I hate them. Hate them, hate them, hate them.

Has anybody come up with anything in place of the chits? I imagine that stacking some markers or cubes might add a beautiful 3D quality to the board, and really reinforce the sense of regions building up in conflict.

Has anybody come up with anything that doesn't double the cost of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess if you had a load of red and blue dice you could handle influence up to 6 in each country for either superpower. And dice are pretty cheap. The other counters could be beads or the like: permanent event you could keep the card for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Stever
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have the old or new chit? I like the new chits, as they make it very easy to calculate each player's standing in a region at a glance. I did not like the old chits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gage
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Do you have the old or the new chit?

I suppose I have the new ones -- I have the 2nd printing. Geez, if these are better...

Thanks for your dice idea, Phillip. I was just thinking about the influence counters. For the persistent events, we do as you say and just keep the card displayed until it is no longer in effect. The few that remain, like the space race counter, mil ops counter, etc., I can live with, though I like the painted chess pieces that someone else uses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine has replace all the cardboard in his set. It includes little tanks for the Mil ops, Apollo and Soyez models for the space race, and little dice to track influence. Fancy as it might look, it probably didn't cost all that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could buy a bunch of wooden discs or rectangles at a place like Michaels, paint them, and apply stickers you generate using a printer - there is a file in the download section for round stickers (uploaded by bgg member Vickers). Maybe a place like spielmaterial would have them pre-painted online, but I'm sure that would cost more.

I uploaded a pic of the mod I made to my game - but I only changed the non-influence marker chits at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Stever
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a bunch of chit replacing as well:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chit happens. You just have to accept it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How come Eurogamers say 'chits' instead of 'counters'?

I prefer counters over cheesy toys anyday arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gage
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
By jove, I think I've got it!

Scrabble tiles (played face down). Nice tactile quality. Solid wood. Flat and easily stackable. About the right size. Two colors available. A standard set of 100 just about does it for each player, though 200 hundred apiece might eliminate the need for different valuations. I haven't tried it yet (and my copy is loaned to a friend), but I think it should work.

Sorry to the wargammers out there, but I just don't feel like one of the most powerful leaders in the world without a little wood .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.