Wrocław
Dolnośląskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Animal Fight
An entry for the: 2019 9 Card Game Print and Play Design Contest

Game Summary:
A little crazy battle between animals.
The game was created as an attempt to answer the question: what minimum number of cards is needed to play the card game?
Answer: two per player (so that they have a choice).

Instruction:
One player takes horizontal cards (elephant and cat) and the other one takes vertical cards (mouse and wolf).
In the round, players choose one card from the hand. And they put them covered on the table.
Then they reveal cards.
The player whose animal is afraid of the other loses.
The mouse is afraid of a cat.
The cat is afraid of a wolf.
The wolf is afraid of the elephant.
The elephant is afraid of mice.

They play up to 3 wins.

Is it a Rock–paper–scissors?
Yes, it's similar, but:
- there are no draws
- no problem with showing your hand too early
- super cool animals!

Number of players:

Approximate Playing Time:
1-3 minutes

Components:
4 cards

Categories:
Best 2-player Game
Best Low Ink Game Category
Best Card only game "no components"
(I know that it will not win, but i must mark some categories )

FILES:
https://docdro.id/kwNUgKU
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this is sort of a 4-card version of the Chinese game Animal Chess?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Charlie
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
If you're trying to make it as small as possible, couldn't you just make it two double-sided cards, with mouse/wolf on one card, and cat/elephant on the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bogumił Koszałka
Poland
Wrocław
Dolnośląskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkP1981 wrote:
So this is sort of a 4-card version of the Chinese game Animal Chess?
There are 8 animals here, 4 here, only fighting with the closest (there the elephant kills 6 animals). But in fact the similarity is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bogumił Koszałka
Poland
Wrocław
Dolnośląskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acharlie1377 wrote:
If you're trying to make it as small as possible, couldn't you just make it two double-sided cards, with mouse/wolf on one card, and cat/elephant on the other?

I know that it can be done with one card (the other person only says the name), or even without cards (RPS), but now it looks nice and you choose the card as in normal games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onthewayover Anonymous
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
What a cool idea! I wonder how this would compare to a card-based version of rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liberty Kifer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, I love it super cute and I know my kids will enjoy this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the link for the files?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bogumił Koszałka
Poland
Wrocław
Dolnośląskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Files have been added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Baglioni
Italy
Firenze
Italia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
The game is simple, with classic the meccanic of card, rock, scissor, but animals, with the cartoon eyes, are nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi, let me give a brief feedback to this game.

As of artstyle, You cannot blame me I wasn't interested at all. Stock images from an image bank ehnanced only with angry eyes however made me chuckle so I decided to give it a try.

It's a rock-paper-scissors-anything game what is fairly overused mechanics. I am always pretty suspiscious to the game if it contains this resolution method, mainly if it doesn't offer anything else. I remembered where I saw this mechanic and it was actually pretty funny game - it was Kariba, where animals form the "fear circle", just like in your game. You should give it a look.

It's a 2 player-only game, which is not neccessary bad. I could imagine to play this game while waiting for my beer or waiting in a line, as it - obviously - doesn't even require a table to play on. The portability is its biggest advantage.

As mentioned in previous paragraph, I could play this game while waiting for a beer. With waiter already approaching my table. Or during paying him. The game is so short I wouldn't even notice I played it. Or bother with winning it or not.

The game is a hard miss for me. If it was meant as a joke or a candidate for fewest component category (which, sadly, doesn't exist), I'd give it few points, but from designer's view there could be done MUCH MORE with 9 cards. Players could keep a score with them, make combos, have 3 animals each and the game would still fit on a single sheet, rules included. I wish you good luck in next contest.

Aesthetics: 0/2
Mechanics: 0/2
Involvement: 1/2
Game length: 1/2
Other: 0/2

AMIGO score: 2/10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls