Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree a little on numbers. I like to go to 5, maybe even 6 officers, and leave only one defender per base. Remember, as the Viet Cong Woodland Alliance, you always get the high die in combats, even when defending. I then use those extra officers to spread even more sympathy. Sure, I'm a bit more likely to lose a base, but with the extra sympathy around I'll score points even faster and I'll have more supporters flowing in to re-establish them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lex Zypher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with having 6 officers is that you have 4 warriors, which means that nobody needs to attack your bases. They simply just need to bring five warriors into your base and you suddenly can't leave for the rest of the game, unless you manage to fight your way out. You'll end up just spending an action to fight, another two actions to recruit troops, and then your next actions will probably be to fight again to escape. If you split your troops across your bases, then you'll have to kill off your own guys in multiple clearings in order to get the numbers needed to fight your way out of the third base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, they need to bring that many into EACH base, and that's a lot of warriors. If it comes to that, there's still the massive card income just from having three bases that can be used to craft and spread sympathy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would never go above 4 officers. This leaves enough room for 6 warriors, 2 for each base. You will need those for defence and chest bursting, replacing the lost warrior at the base again.

1 defending warrior is just asking to get killed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richmond Lau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
WA is a tricky faction to play \ assess ... they play exactly the way you would think they should be played .. they are in the background since they don't own any territory initially. even sympathy tokens does not mean that they own that territory. I think just try to spread sympathy as hard as possible initially so that they become uncontainable .. in our game I remember WA spread three on turn one and dumped their hand to spread again turn two ..
also keep in mind that other factions are limited too.. cats only have 3 actions base. they need to use those actions to recruit, build, move, and fend off the birds. birds have lots of actions are limited to their programming. so really keep an eye on those factors when spreading sympathy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richmond Lau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I went to 5-6 officers in our game ... all used to move, suicide lol
of course defense was fortunately left up to amazing ambush cards in hand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Bowen
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the other players aren't used to defending against the WA you can go 6 officers, and just spam 2 additional sympathy per turn while replenishing the ranks. If you're playing with more experienced players, 4 is more ideal since you can still do one suicide sympathy combo per turn, and splurge on 2 (without replenishing troops) to push yourself to 30 VP without sacrificing your ability to maintain control over your clearings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
My experience playing WA in 4P was very different. I had few interactions with Vagabond, so it felt like 3P! -- I even got attacked by Vag in one round - after which I crafted both his teapots and sat on them!

I was also fortunate to start with 2 fox and 1 mouse Supporter and since I got to choose where to place my first Sympathy, I started near the middle.

The rules suggest WA should set up a clearing that gets attacked regularly (to bleed Supporters from your opponents) so I did exactly that.

Spreading Sympathy every which way I could, I splattered the board with them and soon enough had a base. I was leading scorer throughout, and got additional points for crafting teapots and a pile of coins. Cats and Eyrie then both started attacking my Sympathy counters mercilessly but once I had 3 Officers, I was doing Move, Organise, Recruit at the 2,3,4 point level and the game ended fairly quickly - did I just get lucky, or did the other players play it so badly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mangozine wrote:
...I crafted both his teapots and sat on them!

How do you do that? You can't refuse to give them up if he aids you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

He had made an enemy of me (relationship moved to Hostile) and didn't want to waste items trying to fix the relationship from what I can tell...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played as Woodland in a three player match (my first time playing). I sort of felt I was in a similar place. Whenever I tried to do anything, the other factions would crush me, and I had a hard time getting anything on the board. For the first half the game I hung far behind. During one time the bird tribe's decree busted, which gave me a bit of breathing room, and then I was able to swing the game in my direction. The last round alone I was able to pull in 9 points. It pushed me ahead and allowed me to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pearson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mangozine wrote:

He had made an enemy of me (relationship moved to Hostile) and didn't want to waste items trying to fix the relationship from what I can tell...?

He doesn't need to repair the relationship. All he needs to do is spend an extra boot to walk into your clearing. Then one card aid to grab a teapot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I don't think he had that 'extra boot'... Lol

I honestly have no idea why he didn't take the teapots off me - I deliberately crafted them both 'cos I thought he'd come for them since they're so useful to him! He kept saying he didn't need to reset more than 3 items every turn and spent most of the game attacking the cats! Did he just play really badly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pearson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mangozine wrote:
I don't think he had that 'extra boot'... Lol

I honestly have no idea why he didn't take the teapots off me - I deliberately crafted them both 'cos I thought he'd come for them since they're so useful to him! He kept saying he didn't need to reset more than 3 items every turn and spent most of the game attacking the cats! Did he just play really badly?

Not necessarily badly. If he didn't have alot of items then refreshing lots isn't needed. But with those items, plus the ones from the ruins and he can do alot in a turn.

He can slip into a clearing with you for free at the beginning of the turn. But if he was atta kng the cats I imagine he had to spend a fair bit of time just hanging out in forests, unless he was the ranger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pearscw wrote:
mangozine wrote:

He doesn't need to repair the relationship. All he needs to do is spend an extra boot to walk into your clearing. Then one card aid to grab a teapot.

And that extra boot only applies if you have an actual WARRIOR in the space - sympathy doesn't matter. He could also slip in if he really wanted it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.