Subject: Is this worth $60? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jason
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
I've been wanting to get my hands on this for quite some time, but it seems the only way to make this happen is to order from Amazon. Their price is 60 bucks; 20 dollars more than they ask for on the designers website! Is this game bad-ass enough to warrant shelling out that kind of dough, or should I wait (indefinately) for it to come back into stock at the designers site?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bit the $60 bullet and I wasn't disappointed. Sure, if it suddenly becomes readily available in mass quantity for $30 tomorrow, I'll be a bit saddened at the savings I could have had, but I don't think that's going to happen. I have experience with nearly every superhero-themed game out there, so if you'd any further info or comparisons, just ask!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it entirely depends on how many more they produce. The components are fine, but not spectacular. Mass-produced on the scale of FFG or Days of Wonder (not Hasbro), the game would probably be $25 with the current components - and $20 at the online stores. In that sense, it's not worth $60.

But if you offered me $60 for my copy of the game I'd turn you down. I wouldn't want to take the chance that I never find another copy. The release schedule and distribution points for this game seem strange to say the least. My guess is that the owner/publisher wants to control all the rights to the game but is also unwilling to go into debt producing it and risking having unsold inventory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla Harper
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly wouldn't part with my copy for $60. If I were you, however, I'd keep searching before paying the Amazon price. I've seen the game in at least four or five different stores since I purchased it, which makes it considerably easier to find than some Heroscape expansions I've searched for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with the above.

I was fortunate to get one of the copies that briefly appear at Wyrd City from time to time last winter. I believe they could sell tons of these if they increased their production beyond a trickle. There are only a very few who have played it that are not happy with it, and most of us that are happy with it are also enthusiastic in our approval.

So, bottom line: I am happy to have it. I wouldn't sell it for $60.00. I don't think I would have bought it to begin with for $60.00 if I had not played it before (one of my special super-powers is tight-wadishness)but if something happened to my copy now I would probably replace it for that if I could not find a less expensive option fairly quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother J
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered mine back in May of this year from Amazon and it was $40. They said it would ship in a few weeks. I got it in early June. Just for grins, I went back and looked at it again to see if the shipping time was any quicker (maybe another print run had been done) and saw that the price was up to $60. I thought that very odd because, as you stated, it is still $40 on the publisher's site.

Also, I had ordered it from the publisher's site 1st and they refunded my money saying they had no more in stock. That was why I went to Amazon in the 1st place.

Certainly odd goings on with this game.

But, back on point, if you can only get it for $60, it is probably worth it.

I just wish I knew the story of the price increase from Amazon. I may have gotten the last $40 copy from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwquinn wrote:
There are only a very few who have played it that are not happy with it, and most of us that are happy with it are also enthusiastic in our approval.

And of the two who gave it a low rating, one played it incorrectly (according to his comments), and the other played just one game and that was with four players (I was one of the other 3 players). So of those who have played a two-player heroes-vs-heroes clash there is currently 100% approval - though that obviously won't last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Zimmerman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Holy Terror
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're someone who is willing to spend $60 for a good game... this is a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clarence Chambers
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
jwquinn wrote:
I am happy to have it. I wouldn't sell it for $60.00. I don't think I would have bought it to begin with for $60.00 if I had not played it before (one of my special super-powers is tight-wadishness)but if something happened to my copy now I would probably replace it for that if I could not find a less expensive option fairly quickly.

My thoughts almost exactly.

She-Wolf wrote:
I certainly wouldn't part with my copy for $60. If I were you, however, I'd keep searching before paying the Amazon price. I've seen the game in at least four or five different stores since I purchased it, which makes it considerably easier to find than some Heroscape expansions I've searched for.

That would be my advice, too.

barryzimm wrote:
If you're someone who is willing to spend $60 for a good game... this is a great game.

With emphasis on the word "great"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Abner
United States
Johnstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I look at it. No way would I sell mine for $60.

Is it "bad ass" enough? Well, depends, I guess. Production values are kinda low; the board is smallish and the charactes are CC cutouts (I really like the character cards though). The components won't wow you. I really would love some nice Fantasy Flighty minis for this game and some basic 3D landscapes and a slighly bigger board. I'm shallow that way.

But the design itself is really cool. Read some of the session reports to get an idea on how it plays. In short, it's a tactical team based combat game with a very simple set of rules, but the heroes take those rules and bend and break them because of their powers, which in turn gives the game its legs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These comments have all been dead on. I hedged on writing anything, because, although I have read the rules, set my copy up, played a few rounds of solo-learning, I have not actually played the game in total.
So, I figured, my 2 cents would be worthless.
But, I do agree with the fact that it would take a tremendous offer for me to part with my copy, and I very much look foward to playing. Playing may make it an "untouchable" in my collection, of which there are a few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Estes
United States
La Vergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wabner wrote:
In short, it's a tactical team based combat game with a very simple set of rules, but the heroes take those rules and bend and break them because of their powers, which in turn gives the game its legs.

And therein lies the genius of the thing, in my opinion. It's simple to learn but filled to bursting with in-game variety and nuance. And I'm actually quite pleased with the component quality, which seems very much in sync with the game's chosen source material (silver-age comic books). As Jon said, though, the skinflint in me would probably balk a bit at a sixty-dollar price tag if I didn't already know how strong a game it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reepicheep wrote:
Really? If you've seen it in that many shops, would you be willing to shop long-distance for those of us who would like a copy of our own? Like many who have posted, it's been damnably difficult for me to locate one.

I asked her about that in GeekMail. She took a road trip and saw it in several stores across the country, so shopping for others would not be as easy as it sounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try getting one in Australia!cry

Impossible I tells you. Trust me, I've tried.shake

Ben.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I had a plan...
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that I picked up the last one at Amazon. After my order they are now showing out of stock. Hopefully they will get restocked soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Moros
South Korea
Gwangju
Gwangju
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arghhh..
I could not resist the temptation (and the risk of missing out) and I ordered my copy from Amazon. The posting to SKorea, did not work out to be that expensive combined with 3 books.
I am happy i got it .. what the...!

happy games!
fer
skorea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Just got back from a long weekend and after reading these responses I realize I should have kept my big mouth shut. Anyway, thanks for all the responses. If this ever appears anywhere else for sixty bucks I'll snap it up no questions asked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I had a plan...
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure that it will be available again somewhere soon and hopefully you'll be able to get it for less than $60.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I had a plan...
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been trying to keep my eyes open for this one, and so far I haven't seen it available via Amazon again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.