Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Barringer
United States
Rushford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,
My family has a foreign exchange student from Brazil this year. I've introduced him to board games and he enjoys them a lot. I was thinking about getting him a game or two for Christmas because I'd heard that they are more expensive in Brazil

Can you advise as to whether this is true, and if so whether or not there are particular games that are easier to come by down there so I don't end up getting him a game he could get for himself just as easily back home?

I appreciate it,
-Pat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good games being more expensive isn't really the issue. Being almost non-existent is. Supposing you don't intend to give him "Risk", "Clue", "Monopoly" and the likes, you will probably be safe.

OK, there are a few he might be able to find, if he knows where to look for. "Carcassonne", "War of the Ring" and "The Settlers of Catan", among a few others, have already been brought by Devir from Portugal and Spain, but all are currently sold out, although "Settlers" may have a new edition. Also, an independent company has "Modern Art" and another will soon release "Samurai". As for directly imported games, one can get a few (very few, really) Rio Grande titles from an on-line store, and some from Fantasy Flight from another, on demand.

Prices of good-quality big box games have usually ranged from $70 to $90 approximately (at the current exchange rate), because they are imported and our taxes are very high. Just for the record, the common toy store stuff produced here and actual Brazilian games are usually in the $20-$30 range, with a few exceptions going up to $45-$50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Barringer
United States
Rushford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I appreciate it =).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.