Subject: 5 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Kingsbury
United Kingdom
St Albans
Herts
flag msg tools
Can anyone see why this wouldnt work with 5 players? I guess the limiting factor is the board tiles and there are enough. Any comments / thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re:5 players
Steve Silbla (#37833),

I can only think that if they've made it a "2-4 players" game a good reason exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Steenberge
United States
Painted Post
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are only 25 tiles to auction off, so if there were 5 players then 20 out of the 25 tiles would be used each phase instead of only 15. By having lots of tiles still on the board, you create doubt as to what will be available to auction. The tile you need may never become available, thus increasing the desire of the flag. Also, more players would create more competition for the tiles during the auction and more opportunities to raise the value and be outbid. I think the bidding works very well the way it is. There are also only 5 types of the mixed colonies so the last person to found a colony would have no choice and have to take the one that was available. More players would also increase the chances of two people pursuing the same strategy and part of the fun is seeing all the different paths people pursue. And finally, more players would make the game longer and it already takes a long time with 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Five players would work fine as far as I can tell; people always give reasons not to add extra players but few ever seem to try a game that way.

I will try it at the earliest opportunity; for now here is my view on some of the points Geoffrey raised:

The flag's main desirability is an extra action; this would not change with 5 players. Furthermore, placing the flag is not a surefire way of getting the tile you desire as the other players may, by their auction marker placement, take the possibilities away from the tile you desire. Hence for different but still valid reasons the flag remains desirable; you can position it to take other players away from their desired tiles.

I don't think bidding competitiveness will increase by any great degree because the money available to the individual will remain roughly the same. A different bidding strategy may need to be adopted, but as with many games of this nature which scale down in the number of players as well as up, strategies will change with the number of players anyway.

As for "increased chance" of more than one player pursuing the same strategy, I can't see why this should be a problem. As some have pointed out, the game is quite close to multi-player solitaire. The sole guaranteed interaction is during the auctions (non-guaranteed being tiles sch as "Espionage"), but as more tiles are auctioned with more players this shouldn't cause a problem.

Finally, though the game is long with 4 players, a 5th wouldn't add too much to it; 15-30 mins possibly unless they are prone to AP (problem with player not game).

I personally find too many people are opposed to altering games for greater seating, yet hardly ever seem to have a problem with the adverse effects of less players (even though such games often bear a range such as 2-4 players, the game will play differently and alternate strategies need to be adopted - PR for example). Perhaps it is just that they fear change, but then again I have to agree in some cases they are correct. Goa, IMNSHO is not such a case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming (#37892),
I can only think that if they've made it a "2-4 players" game a good reason exists.
????
Let's see: Attika plays at least to 6
(done it)
New England plays with 2...
Never trust the game rules in that respect....surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sailsa (#39701),

Having only three auctions each phase would solve both the extra time and the uncertainty of tiles.

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Mele
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Shade_Jon (#76486),

Having just three auctions will reduce resources and add importance to colonies and to a better management of development track.
Scores should be lower, with an increased importance of cards to score.
The game lenght risk to be well over 2h.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackpope (#76506),

I've played 3 auctions only with a four player group and it was not noticably worse or better than 4 auctions, just quicker. Try it.

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.