Kyle Doncaster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does anyone fully understand the above and feel happy to share it with me?

I started a Gambler last night and the general interpretation of 'Fortunes Favour' was that it's just another source of Grit to re-roll a die.

Some confusion has arisen out of where on several tricks the phrase any dice is used. At the bottom of the card there is a reference to not being allowed to re-roll dice that are Grit restricted, but it just seems confusing.

Are the Gambling tricks allowed to re-roll anything that Grit cannot?

Can the Gambling Trick re-rolls be used on other players?

I just find it bizarre that text on the card can say that you can re-roll/affect any die, and even go so far as to underline it so as to draw attention (and emphasize) to it, but then further down the card tell you that it isn't actually 'any die'.

Clearly I may have thought that the Gambler was better than he really is.

Hope the above makes sense and isn't clear as mud.

P.S. And the 'Gold Ring' equipment card, can the guaranteed '6' be used on an injury chart (i.e. to heal), or the bonus level up chart for the Gambler?

sobluedevil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gambler has his own section in the SoB FAQ, also see the bit about Grit.

http://www.flyingfrog.net/FAQ_Docs/SOBS_FAQ_6-22-2017_Web.pd...

To cut to the chase he can re-roll any die that can be re-rolled due to Grit, even if by another Hero. Fortunes Gsvour can also be used to re-roll a die roll on a chart, which Grit cannot now do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gambler Hero Class
Fortune’s Favor Gambling Trick
The Gambler’s Fortune’s Favor Starting Gambling Trick allows the Hero to force a single die to be Re- rolled that might not normally be allowed. In the rules for the Gambler it states that you can use this ability on any Chart roll that is not called out as being prohibited from using Grit on. With the revision that Grit may not be used on Chart rolls (as noted earlier in this FAQ), this restriction needs to be revised for clarity. The Gambler may use Fortune’s Favor to force any single die on a Chart roll to be Re-rolled, except on the following Charts:
- A Hero’s Random Level Up Bonus Chart
- Another Hero’s Chart Roll, against their wishes

Grit
Grit May Not be Used on Chart Rolls. A Hero may NOT use Grit to Re-roll any roll made on a Chart (Travel Hazard, Town Location Event, Injury, Mutation, Level Up Bonus, Charts on Encounter Cards, etc). This is a major restriction and can make the game far more challenging for the Heroes.
There are 2 exceptions to this rule:
- A Hero MAY use Grit to Re-roll any Chart roll that would kill the Hero outright (doubles of a Mutation, death on the Injury or Madness table, death from Surgery at the Doc’s Office, etc).
- A Hero MAY use Grit to Re-roll any Chart roll for an attempt to remove an Injury/Madness/Mutation/ Curse/Parasite.

Charts
No Permanent Bonuses from Modified Chart Rolls. If a roll on a chart is modified by any Item, Ability, or Re-roll (turning dice to a specific face, counting a die roll as a specific value, etc), that chart result may not grant the Hero a Permanent bonus (new Keyword, extra Health/Sanity, +1 Max Grit, Skill Increase, etc). Any other benefits of the roll are still in effect as normal (such as Healing an Injury, drawing an Artifact, etc), but no permanent bonuses may be gained from that result.
Note that this does NOT effect modifiers or Re-rolls that reference a certain Chart specifically, such as a Location Event that gives you +1 to a specific Chart roll at that Location (Surgery at the Doc’s Office for instance) or a Horse that gives a bonus/ Re-roll on the Travel Hazard Chart, etc. These may result in a permanent bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xxx yyy
msg tools
The way I play it the 'Fortunes Favor' is just another grit that can be used on any dice (mostly) like friends and opponents as well as your own.

And of course it depends on what tricks you have. My favorite is 'cheat'.

Also I run the 2nd advance column 'Roll the bones' and the first two of 'Tricks of the Trade' advance column. With 'cheat' this make you very damage resistant. At level 7 you have.

Monster swings and gets hits. You 'cheat'. You should have maxed your cunning there are a lot of +1 items etc for that. So

You roll 6 die
You reroll all misses with 'Let it Ride'
You can then use a grit if necessary.

So if you get one 6 you get
That 6 is now 2 6's due to the Box Cars ability
Then apply the two sixes to the enemies rolls turning two hits to 1's
Those 1's remove two of the other hits because of 'Tell' in the 'Tricks of the Trade' advancement column.

So you nullify 4 of his hits. If he rolls any 1's he's even worse off

For that character it's also neat they he's acquired 3 of the 'Looking Glass' items (Every cunning test gain a grit). So every time he 'cheats' and succeeds he actually gains 3 grit. And since he took the option that each grit -> fortune he goes up on fortune (cheat costs 2)

Sorry babbling. Prob didn't answer your question :-)

Probably the most powerful character I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Doncaster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for those swift replies guys.

What dice belonging to your opponent can 'Fortunes Favour' be used on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None used by enemies, To Hit, Armour, etc...

Serpent Skin Gloves (Jargono Artefact) allows you to re-roll Enemy To Hit dice for one Grit, so I suppose you could re-roll one of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read my post here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27456004#27456004

- Jee

Thumb up