Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Eisenstein
United States
Lilburn
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see an expansion for Gaia Project.

Like others have said some additional map tiles for variety a few more factions would be cool.

But, what I'd really like is a way to speed up the game. Something more thematic than what Terraforming Mars did with Prelude. If you could knock off 1 hr from the game, I could play it more at smaller Meetups & 5p would them become a possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
leisenstein wrote:

Like others have said some additional map tiles for variety a few more factions would be cool.

But, what I'd really like is a way to speed up the game. Something more thematic than what Terraforming Mars did with Prelude. If you could knock off 1 hr from the game, I could play it more at smaller Meetups & 5p would them become a possibility.

I think Marco Polo has a similar feel to TM/GP and plays in a lot less time. I think GP is the correct length for the level of complexity and depth of experience that the game provides. I think adding or removing a round would be detrimental to the current fine tuned balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
leisenstein wrote:

To shorten the game try these not playtested idea:

1. You will start on +1 homeplanet OR gaia planet (must spend a starting QIC if you use this) and your starting resources.
2. Place a Research Lab on the first placement to take any tech tile (gain any instant resources) plus advancement and Mines on the additional placements in rubber band fashion: Lab 1, 2, 3, 4; 1st Mine 4, 3, 2, 1, Swarm/Ivits Lab; 2nd Mine 1, 2, 3, 4; Xeno 3rd Mine; Swarm/Ivit PI.
3. Start at 15vp.
4. Take 1st round booster as normal.
5. Take R1 income then play as usual except play 5 rounds instead of 6.

To add a 5th player make or borrow 2 or 3 sectors that add an entire set of homeworlds for 7 each and make some reasonable looking shape. Add 3 wildcard advanced tech tiles (can take from any L4 or L5) which should be of the type instant resource, resource actions, or build to gain VP (no instant vp or pass vp). I would also make or borrow a 5th basic tech tile for each player, but you could play without it if you want.

You can try the 5th player with or without the quick setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
leisenstein wrote:

To shorten the game try these not playtested idea:

1. You will start on +1 homeplanet OR gaia planet (must spend a starting QIC if you use this) and your starting resources.
2. Place a Research Lab on the first placement to take any tech tile (gain any instant resources) plus advancement and Mines on the additional placements in rubber band fashion: Lab 1, 2, 3, 4; 1st Mine 4, 3, 2, 1, Swarm/Ivits Lab; 2nd Mine 1, 2, 3, 4; Xeno 3rd Mine; Swarm/Ivit PI.
3. Start at 15vp.
4. Take 1st round booster as normal.
5. Take R1 income then play as usual except play 5 rounds instead of 6.

To add a 5th player make or borrow 2 or 3 sectors that add an entire set of homeworlds for 7 each and make some reasonable looking shape. Add 3 wildcard advanced tech tiles (can take from any L4 or L5) which should be of the type instant resource, resource actions, or build to gain VP (no instant vp or pass vp). I would also make or borrow a 5th basic tech tile for each player, but you could play without it if you want.

You can try the 5th player with or without the quick setup.

How does idea #3 (start at 15 VP) help speeding up the game? I mean even if we all started at 98 VP, it wouldn’t change anything to game lenght.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
There will be no explanation.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting with more VP makes individual VP worth slightly less, so maybe you'd be more likely to spend it to leech power?

I doubt it would have an appreciable effect on length.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
Starting with more VP makes individual VP worth slightly less, so maybe you'd be more likely to spend it to leech power?

I would say, though, the "worth it to leech" factor is more based on relative VP spread than actual VP count. If everyone had 97 VP's, I don't think it would impact their decision to leech any differently than if everyone had 10 VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
How does idea #3 (start at 15 VP) help speeding up the game? I mean even if we all started at 98 VP, it wouldn’t change anything to game lenght.

Because you are starting with more locations and a RL, there is possibly going to be more early leech so that would help with early leeching capacity and not hitting zero since you can only get 1pw when at 0vp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
fardoche wrote:

Because you are starting with more locations and a RL, there is possibly going to be more early leech so that would help with early leeching capacity and not hitting zero since you can only get 1pw when at 0vp.

Oh I see now. I thought you were giving 5 different ideas. I didn’t consider them all at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.