Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Gonzalez
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello fellow gamers! I have a question about this rule, which appears on page 6 of the Power Grid rulebook under Step 2:

"The following things happen ONCE between phase 4 (Building) and phase 5 (Bureaucracy): the lowest power plant is removed from the game and replaced with a new one from the draw pile."

My question concerns the significance of the word "ONCE" in the rule above. Do you perform this action only on the turn in which Step 2 is reached or do you perform this action on every turn between the beginning of Step 2 and the beginning of Step 3?

Thanks in advance for your advice on this! I never played the old edition so I don't have any experience to draw on in solving this problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Step 2 Rule Question (Powergrid)
ONCE means you do it one time, immediately upon entering Phase 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevtor (#37841),

THere are three situation when it is possible to remove a power plant from play.

1. During ANY Phase 5 when no power plant was auctioned off during Phase 2 of THIS turn , discard the lowest power plant from the available supply.

2. Whenever a player purchases a 4th power plant, they must discard back down to three.

3. When a player connects his/her 7th city, STEP 2 begins. On this turn, when you reach the begining of phase 5 the lowest Power plant is discarded from the game.

In other word, don't do it again upon entering phase three. That my interpretation at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stayman (#37929),

You omitted an important rule:

4. If the lowest power plant has number N, and a player connects to N cities during Phase 4, then plant N is immediately discarded and a new plant is drawn.

Your situation #1 is also incorrect. If no plant is sold during the auction, then you immediately remove the lowest plant. This occurs immediately after the auction (still in Phase 2); you don't wait until Phase 5.

Aside from giving the players extra information about the new plant, this makes a practical difference because, if you didn't remove the plant right away in Phase 2, it's possible that it would be removed in Phase 4 due to a player connecting enough cities (situation 4), and then you would end up removing a different plant in Phase 5 under your version of the rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ (#37958),

Yes, I was doing this from memory. Lotsa seemingly small details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier REIX
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
You omitted an important rule:

4. If the lowest power plant has number N, and a player connects to N cities during Phase 4, then plant N is immediately discarded and a new plant is drawn.

I think there is also :

5. If during phase 2,you draw a power plant with a number N which is less or equal than the number of connected cities of the first player, it is immediatly discarded and a new plant is drawn.

Right ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing my first game of Power Grid, and carefully reading the rules several times, I've decided this rule is ambiguous. It states that the action occurs once between phase 4 and phase 5, which does not preclude performing this for *every* round in step 2. I realise this probably isn't the intent. What they should have said is: "The following things happen once between phase 4 and phase 5 when step 2 is reached".

Incidentally, there's only one thing that happens...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.