Solitary: as a single Survivor
2-Player Cooperative: 2 Survivors
2-Player Competitive: Nature vs a Single Survivor
3-player Asymmetrical: Nature vs 2 Survivors

This PnP will showcase 2-Player Competitive

Play Time: 45-60min
(90 for first time)

Description

(if you do not hear sound unclick the little mute button in the browser's search bar)

In The Great Wide Open, players wake up in a frozen wilderness, alone. Making use of what they can, players will attempt to survive each day while searching to discover a way back to civilization. A single player may play as Nature, influencing the weather, wildlife, and special events that the other players must endure throughout the game.

The Great Wide Open is an Asymmetrical Competitive and Cooperative Survive and Escape board game.
Each passing day is an opportunity for Nature to shift the environment that the Survivors attempt to progress in. Survivors will explore and discover resources, items, and special events allowing each game to form its own story. Triggered by in-game events, a Salvation Card will be drawn that describes how the Survivors can get back home. If the Survivors can fulfill the requirements of the card, the game is won. If they die in the progress, Nature prevails.

Components:

Cards
• 16 Location Tile Cards
• 60 Ability Cards
• 24 Resource Cards
• 5 Survival Gear Cards
• Salvation Cards
• 20 Discovery Cards
• 20 Forage Cards
• 11 Wildlife Encounter Cards
• 11 Survivor Encounter Cards

Boards
• 2 Survivor Condition Trackers
• 1 Nature’s Wrath Tracker
• 1 Snow Storm Tracker

Dice
• 1 Die with faces 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4 (a 6 sided die may be used by treating a 5 as a 2, and 6 as a 3)

Tokens
• 1 Survivor Paper-cutout Standee
• 1 Bear Paper-cutout Standee
• 4 Wolf Paper-cutout Standees
• 4 Discovery Tokens (place of interest)
• 6 Camp Tokens
• 20 Blue Hazard Tokens
• 10 Black Marker Cubes

If you're interested I would definitely appreciate a subscribe on My Website www.shelfclutter.com. I'll be sending an update and PnP when the game is fully complete!

you can also follow along on instagram @ShelfClutter
or Facebook

Thanks for your time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Sellmair
msg tools
Looking good!
I don't know if I will find the time to playtest it (oh the burdens of having to design a game yourself *sigh*), but I am certainly intrigued by checking out your stuff right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Singer
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks Martin! I appreciate the interest, I have spent a crazy amount of time working on this one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Singer
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I have condensed some of the cards to reduce the amount of printing required, and created a single pdf for easier printing!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12HfYtNy6WulDr74Vs2HqdhK2pac..._
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marian Babcan
Slovakia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is such a beauty, I mean, the images, tiles and cards...it has almost 100 Mb, but I can see why... excellent job, Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Falun
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This game looks awesome! I like drawing on my pc too, both rasterized and vectorial (as in my game Fika, which is my entry for the same contest), but I must congratulate you with the artwork of this game. It seems pretty professional

On the other hand, 32 pages of printing is quite a lot. I'm willing to test this game, but wonder whether there's a way to get a good impression of the game without having to spend too much ink?

Good luck with your project

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Adam,

this game looks amazing and the number of components is massive. Could you add a component breakdown to the rulebook, showing the card fronts and backs for every card type? I am a bit lost. How many copies of which component do I need per player?
How do I assemble the whole stuff? It would be helpful to mark the fold lines between fronts and backs with dotted or dashed lines. I am not so sure where to cut and fold on pages 25f where it seems there are longer and shorter cards.

Thanks,
Dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Singer
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Eolair wrote:
This is such a beauty, I mean, the images, tiles and cards...it has almost 100 Mb, but I can see why... excellent job, Adam

Thanks Eolair! I appreciate it!

Pieterfalun wrote:
This game looks awesome! I like drawing on my pc too, both rasterized and vectorial (as in my game Fika, which is my entry for the same contest), but I must congratulate you with the artwork of this game. It seems pretty professional

On the other hand, 32 pages of printing is quite a lot. I'm willing to test this game, but wonder whether there's a way to get a good impression of the game without having to spend too much ink?

Good luck with your project

Hi Pieterfalun,
Would Tabletop Simulator be good alternative?
I could try and get it set up on there if it would be useful!

I was considering offering a black and white version but the colors do help with coordinating certain aspects of the game.

I saw your game and have subscribed will be checking out the rules shortly!

DarkPadawan wrote:
Hi Adam,

this game looks amazing and the number of components is massive. Could you add a component breakdown to the rulebook, showing the card fronts and backs for every card type? I am a bit lost. How many copies of which component do I need per player?
How do I assemble the whole stuff? It would be helpful to mark the fold lines between fronts and backs with dotted or dashed lines. I am not so sure where to cut and fold on pages 25f where it seems there are longer and shorter cards.

Thanks,
Dark.

Sure thing DarkPadawan,
Thanks for the feedback, I can do that and I'll make a post here when the updates are ready!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Singer
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
DarkPadawan wrote:
Hi Adam,
this game looks amazing and the number of components is massive. Could you add a component breakdown to the rulebook, showing the card fronts and backs for every card type? I am a bit lost.

I have updated the post with a Component Map

I hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Singer
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I have made a small update to the rules.

Added: The Nature Player can now move Wildlife anytime a Survivor makes a movement that reveals one or more tiles.

Removed: The Nature Player could move wildlife anytime a Survivor Treks (move 2 spaces).

Reasoning: I noticed that this option would often get overlooked by play-testers because it is not always obvious that a Survivor has Trekked.
Revealing a Tile is much more discrete and obvious. This should help make the game more streamlined and slightly buff nature.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Falun
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Adam, the advantage of Tabletop Simulator is that there's nothing to be printed. However, don't you need a paid subscription to put games online / play games on that platform?

Btw: I was trying to find out how to put my game on Tabletopia, but it turns out to be way more difficult as expected. Not sure if TS is much easier, but probably you figure how those virtual setups work better than I do .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Adam,

I am almost done with crafting the PnP. A few comments:
* the starting tile seems to be a bit smaller than all the others.
* the game can only be played 2 or 3-player with one playing the nature.
* I would like to try it solo. Can I use the same wrath deck? On page 2 it says „Solo Card Deck“ under Bonus Content. Is this a special kind of Wrath Deck?
* I couldn‘t find the disaster deck in the PnP files. Will you share it?
* The item count does not match with the numbers in the rules. I have 30 Wrath cards, but the rulebook says 20. I have about 58 ability cards but only 30 are mentioned.
* How can I use the text on many of the backs of ability cards? I remember you mentioned some kind of upgrade in the video, but it isn‘t in the rules.
* What do I do with crafted items? Deadfall ( different text in rulebook table and on reference card)? Spear?
* How do I build a camp and where? Which markers are needed? How does nature deteriorate a camp?

Dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Singer
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
DarkPadawan wrote:
Hello Adam,

I am almost done with crafting the PnP. A few comments:
* the starting tile seems to be a bit smaller than all the others.
* the game can only be played 2 or 3-player with one playing the nature.
* I would like to try it solo. Can I use the same wrath deck? On page 2 it says „Solo Card Deck“ under Bonus Content. Is this a special kind of Wrath Deck?
* I couldn‘t find the disaster deck in the PnP files. Will you share it?
Dark.

Hi Dark Padawan,

Thanks for the feedback, right now I have only provided files for 1 vs 1 (Survivor Player vs Nature Player). I had lots to pull together so I focused on the 2-Player Components first!
I will work on the single player cards for you, I'm not sure if I'll have them ready this week but I'll post an update when its ready!

Quote:

* The item count does not match with the numbers in the rules. I have 30 Wrath cards, but the rulebook says 20. I have about 58 ability cards but only 30 are mentioned.

A few of the card counts are wrong because I've constantly been modifying the decks, sorry for the confusion with that, I'll make some clarifications in the rules.

Quote:

* How can I use the text on many of the backs of ability cards? I remember you mentioned some kind of upgrade in the video, but it isn‘t in the rules.

If you ever see an ability card in the draft area that you already have, then you flip it to reveal the backside.
If you draft that card, you slide it behind your existing card and its text is added to your existing card. The first card you get is never flipped.
I'll add it to the rules, sorry for that!

Quote:

* What do I do with crafted items? Deadfall ( different text in rulebook table and on reference card)? Spear?

I'll take a loot at the rules and get it sorted out!
For the spear:
You are granted a spear card when you craft it (discarding the materials). if you ever get into an encounter with any Wildlife you may use the spear card to increase a cards value by 2 (playing it after cards are revealed) The spear is one time use and is then discarded.
For the Deadfall:
These are built before sleeping, shuffle the 5 deadfall cards and draw the amount you can build by placing them on the table in front of you face-down. In the morning you can flip them to reveal whether or not the trap caught a mouse, 2 out of the 5 cards have a mouse. Once they are revealed, take your materials back into your hand and shuffle the 5 Deadfall cards back together, out of play, until you build again.

Quote:
* How do I build a camp and where? Which markers are needed? How does nature deteriorate a camp?
You will need to use some sort of cube or token to represent a camp. You can build a camp on any space that does not contain a building. It costs 1 endurance to place a camp token. Having a camp allows you to sleep and melt snow while away from a building. Nature can deteriorate camps by spending a wind to use the action on their base action sheet, otherwise they can also gain some abilities that can do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Singer
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Pieterfalun wrote:
Hi Adam, the advantage of Tabletop Simulator is that there's nothing to be printed. However, don't you need a paid subscription to put games online / play games on that platform?

Btw: I was trying to find out how to put my game on Tabletopia, but it turns out to be way more difficult as expected. Not sure if TS is much easier, but probably you figure how those virtual setups work better than I do .

I've made Tabletop Simulator games before but I haven't tried publishing it! You do have to pay for Tabletop Simulator, I got mine on sale on humble bundle.
I think I can share my games without a subscription but I'll look further into it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! Your game looks intriguing.

FYI the component link on the 2 player geeklist gives a page not found error.
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/251445/item/6709706#item6...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Singer
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
lovemyfire wrote:
Hi! Your game looks intriguing.

FYI the component link on the 2 player geeklist gives a page not found error.
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/251445/item/6709706#item6...

Thanks Rachel!
Ah you're right! I appreciate the correction!
I have updated the geeklist with the new link!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Holy giant game, Batman. Okay, I might be coming from the 9 card and mint tin contests. Sorry. Here's a giant wall of stuff from reading about half the instructions.

In Preface, third sentence before last, there's a period instead of a comma before "Nature rules, and humans obey." Great flavor text! Kind of long. Much of it might be good on the back of a box, kind of thing, but still shorter.

In Premise, italicized, it says "The Survivors' goal is to explore and discover and a way home."

Glad to see the contents and terminology. Might make sense for a PNP to indicate what the player provides, perhaps in the build file separate from the instructions. Terminology is super clear.

Game Set Up, item 1 says all arrows are pointing in a single direction away from Survivor player, but what if there are two survivor players playing co-op? From reading the instructions, they assume 2 player against each other, since step 3 prepare nature also assumes there's a Nature player. Just saying "See below for playing without a Nature player" like the other instructions would make sense.

I like the italicized flavor text in the Setup. Sets a nice mood.

Step 3d in setup says to show ability cards, but it's not in the (otherwise rather awesome) setup pic.

In "Discoveries" it says tokens are color coded to each Survivor. What if you get a token that is for a color that isn't being played?

In "Hazards" it says you have to clear them before you can enter the tile, but doesn't indicate where to learn how to clear them.

In the Play Sequence chart for "Day", it should say "Nature has played their cards, and the Phase Card flipped to Night" or something.

In Storm-Building, it says ability cards may contain icons indicating cost to activate. What do you do to activate one without any icons? Also, you say they're permanent actions granted to the Nature player, but then say those with a snowflake are only until the following Night phase. Also, it says you can discard them from the draft row, and you can refill empty spaces, but might be good to reiterate how many spaces there should be.

There's also a missing paragraph space about Held Yellow Ability Cards. And that Yellow Ability Cards sentence is a bit awkward to understand (I say, making an awkward sentence).

In Managing Wildlife, does an injured wolf count towards the required removal of a wolf each Night?

Aaaaand that's all I have time to read, at the end of the Nature part.

Good consistency with terminology. Clear direction of what to do, particularly given the larger quantity of components. Illustrations are clear and placed in useful places. There's a lot of parts, but from the instructiosn so far, it feels like the parts would feel appropriately thematic in play.

I don't really get the bear moving away from Survivors when they enter a tile during Day, but I imagine that would be more clear in play.

For ease of PNP, I'd recommend reformatting your components. Either have them to fold once in half, giving about 1/2" or so space between to cut, with a line in the middle showing the location to fold and then glue, or providing it in double-sided "duplex" so people can print quickly without gluing. Crop marks for cutting are usually nice. (I like light colored lines denoting the places to cut through the whole thing, but some prefer just marks on the edges so the lines don't interfere with the game components.) If I recall, Certain Stars had a pretty good example of easy to follow PNP cutting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Singer
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
yamaraus wrote:
Holy giant game, Batman. Okay, I might be coming from the 9 card and mint tin contests. Sorry. Here's a giant wall of stuff from reading about half the instructions.

Thanks for the feedback and taking the time.
I'm going to work on making some changes now!

If you get to reading the 2nd half feel free to provide another wall of feedback

Very much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Singer
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I have made some vast updates and removed a couple decks, it is taking me longer than hoped to pull together the PnP files, but I will have the updates posted soon along with Table Top Simulator.

Thanks for your patience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Singer
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I have updated the rules and PnP with my latest changes, this is a lot to print so I have also provided a save file for Tabletop Simulator.
I think the save file should work if you put it with your other saves, please let me know if there are issues!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't expect I'll be able to give this one a play but here are some very quick first impressions from the rules.

- The setup seems to require finding the plane tile during setup, but it looks like the only difference is the back-printing for that tile has a different icon. It seems like, since the plane tile will be flipped face-up immediately and stay that way, it may as well just have an entirely different back-printing to make this easy.

- My main observation is that this seems to be a really, really elaborate survival simulation with a lot of attention to detail.

But! I've said elsewhere that components are avatars for ideas, and a game with lots of different components also contains a lot of gameplay concepts. Not only will internalizing these require some effort, keeping them all straight will require a lot of the players' cognition.

That's sometimes ok if the depth of play really benefits from this level of complexity. But my concern here is whether it's actually that important specifically with respect to what the players are fighting over. And that's what's hard to tell without having played.

But it seems like the basic logic is, the survivor fumbles around for a while trying to bump into three buildings so he can find out how to win the game. The wild player doesn't have anything specific he's trying to accomplish at this stage other than to generally harry and harass the survivor, making him lose some health and stuff in his search.

Then, at some point, the survivor learns his actual goal, and at this point the game really begins, and the wild player now is more intentional in the specific ways he tries to hem the survivor in, i.e. if the survivor needs X fullness to survive, the wild player deploys some wolves to keep the survivor away from that can of beans two spaces away, or something like that?

I wonder, then, if not revealing the goal until so late in the game is really a good idea. A player can't make wise decisions if they don't know what the goal of those decisions are. c.f. Betrayal at House on the Hill. Perhaps if each building revealed a piece of the overall puzzle, then both players would know what the stakes are and could react accordingly. Maybe then the survivor has to choose whether to burn energy to explore for the next building, or conserve energy because that's part of the goal from the first building.

I guess I also theoretically like the idea of having several buildings that each give a means of escape, but nature can thwart that escape attempt. e.g. you find a radio tower, you try to use it to call for a rescue, but nature can throw some resources to garble the transmission. But maybe it gets through anyway, meaning if you get to the airstrip you can catch the plane that they dispatched as a result of your distress call, except nature can snow the airstrip in if you get there, etc. i.e. your early attempts tend to be batted away easily by nature (but nature still must expend the energy to bat them away), and the game funnels towards the big climax where the final escape attempt, possibly the culmination of the little attempts, either succeeds or fails. Kind of like a good survival movie: there are setbacks, but in the end the most desperate attempt is all that's left, and the survivor goes for it.

Or something like this, the point being that there's a cat-and-mouse thing where you're husbanding your strength for the big move, and nature wants to weaken you but if it goes too far it might not have the resources left to throw a body-block at the right moment.

Anyway, the punch line of all of this is that to me, the most interesting part isn't really all the simulation stuff, but the cat and mouse positional game. Nature can give you some space to maneuver but try to steer you, or force you to take on some risks to move through its blockade, but can also drop the hammer on you if you look like you're getting close to something important. Likewise, you can try to draw nature into striking too hard only to slip the noose through the can of beans or pack of matches you hold. I think a huge simplification of the game that focuses the action around a more simple positional interaction would capture a lot of the same feeling of nature's menace, but would be more approachable. I don't think you need everything that's in here right now, maybe not even most of it, honestly.

Hope this is in some way helpful, good luck with continued work on the design!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Singer
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks Jeff!

jwarrend wrote:

But it seems like the basic logic is, the survivor fumbles around for a while trying to bump into three buildings so he can find out how to win the game. The wild player doesn't have anything specific he's trying to accomplish at this stage other than to generally harry and harass the survivor, making him lose some health and stuff in his search.

Then, at some point, the survivor learns his actual goal, and at this point the game really begins, and the wild player now is more intentional in the specific ways he tries to hem the survivor in, i.e. if the survivor needs X fullness to survive, the wild player deploys some wolves to keep the survivor away from that can of beans two spaces away, or something like that?

That is fairly accurate, the Survivor not having a discrete goal at the start of the game was actually one of my first roadblocks. This is why the Discovery Tokens are so important. The Discovery tokens are powerful and always benefit the survivor. Although the Survivors are ultimately searching for the buildings, they will very much be wanting to snatch up those Tokens. In this way, the Discovery Tokens act as beacons that guide the Survivor through the map in the first half of the game!

jwarrend wrote:

Anyway, the punch line of all of this is that to me, the most interesting part isn't really all the simulation stuff, but the cat and mouse positional game. Nature can give you some space to maneuver but try to steer you, or force you to take on some risks to move through its blockade, but can also drop the hammer on you if you look like you're getting close to something important. Likewise, you can try to draw nature into striking too hard only to slip the noose through the can of beans or pack of matches you hold. I think a huge simplification of the game that focuses the action around a more simple positional interaction would capture a lot of the same feeling of nature's menace, but would be more approachable. I don't think you need everything that's in here right now, maybe not even most of it, honestly.

Hope this is in some way helpful, good luck with continued work on the design!

Very helpful Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bruner
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to play this game on Tabletop Simulator with the designer last night. Adam was a blast to interact with as we exchanged play-tests of each-other's games. My perspective below is that of the "survivor" as that is what I played in my playtest.

First and foremost - the game is a blast! The game scenario is realistic enough that it makes you contemplate what you would really do in those situations as you try to survive what nature throws at you. I loved the "adapting to the situation" that you had to do with each turn as scavenging and discovering different areas of the board provided you with different options. I also loved how unpredictable nature was. Each day presented new challenges and it was a blast. I also loved the hidden humor that was incorporated throughout the game (such as "sleep walking").

As I eluded to above, the theme is great. Survivor(s) of a plane crash trying to stay alive and find a way home in an ever changing frozen environment. I also love the flexibility of the game-play. You can play 3 players (2 Survivors and 1 Nature player), 2 player competitive, or cooperative/solo. I can't attest to the quality of the game-play of the 3 player or co-op/solo play versions - but if they are as good as the two-player competitive version then this will be a must-have for me when the game gets released.

Wishlist - if I could put anything on my wishlist for what this game didn't provide for me it would have to be the addition of a 4th player. Most of my gaming is either with 2-players or with 4-players. My 3-player gaming is pretty infrequent and this game is heavy enough that I wouldn't get much use out of the 3-player mode. But I could get enough use out of a 4-player mode. However, this game is good enough as a two-player game for me that I would still purchase it even if a 4th player version never gets created.

Some critiques on the rulebook - I know you are still adjusting the rules from time to time as you fine tune this game - but here are a couple things I felt about the rulebook.

- Be consistent with capitalizations. (For example: Is it "Nature Player", "Nature player" or "nature player".)

- I think showing a sample play-through of a Wildlife Encounter would be great so the players know how the steps of that work better.

- Add more pictures where you can. The first three pages of the "Gameplay" section are a lot of words with minimal pictures.

- I'd prefer to see the "Playing as Nature" and "Playing as the Survivor" earlier in the rulebook, right after the game objective.

Overall, this game is fantastic. The mechanics are fun and the replay-ability appears to be high enough that I could see myself playing this game a lot. Overall a very fantastic game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Congratulations on your third placing in the best game category!

Here are some graphics which you may optionally use to promote your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls