Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Gaydos
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello.
I have looked at other forum questions and just still can't get this through my thick skull. soblue
1) If there is no flag or enemy in an objective and I move my infantry into it, then do I capture it that turn or do I have to wait to the beginning of the next turn to control it and then capture it at the end?

2) Same kind of question... If I eliminate all the infantry of my enemy from an objective they have controlled can I capture it then and score a point at the end of this turn or do I have to wait until the beginning of my next turn and then capture it at the end to score a point?

Do I control it immediately when I occupy it? Do I capture it and score that same turn?

My son and I were playing scenario 2 and I started with an infantry in each objective. He would eliminate me from an objective, move in, and then wait until his next turn to control and then capture. We would not remove my flag until his next turn when he would control it and then capture it at the end. Problem is he never got to that point. ON my next turn, I would kill his guys in there and being that I still had my flag in it and controlled it at the end of my turn, I would score a point and he had to do it all over again. It took me no time at all to win based on this back and forth. Were we right or wrong? It just didn't seem right to us but that's how we saw it based on instructions and forum answers.
Hope this made sense.
thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation of it is, you must be in control of the objective. So you score the VP when you occupy the space but you dont plant flag until the following turn once you've occupied the space. Otherwise "thematically" I imagine it being contested, even if there are no enemies around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Flint
United States
flag msg tools
I was demoed (and have always played) as soon as you enter an SO, you put up your flag. If an enemy's flag is up, take it down put up your own. If it's empty, put yours up (as long as you end a units movement in the SO).

As far as scoring goes after much deliberation with over 20 people online and on here plus scouring through the rules the easiest way to understand the rules are: At the end of your turn, count your "flags". That's it. he flip-flops between the wording of "Capture" and "Hold" but there isn't any difference with how the terms are used and he seems to flip flop with the usage of them in FAQs and on videos and the like so treat them as the same thing "score" and just at the end of your turn, count your flags. That's your points. Easy, simple, and the most fair while keeping the fast pace Ted wanted out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say reading the rule book again, for something so key to the game, it is explained terribly. CMON really didn't spend any time play testing their rulebooks.

There are some clear explanations on these threads:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1120105/control-and-capture...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1640209/strategic-point-con...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheese Lover
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must have poorly read the instructions cause I was always under the understanding that when you take an objective (whether it had an opponents flag or not) you then score the points at the end of your turn. I just read the rules.

Controlling Strategic Objectives
You can control a strategic objective by
having a unit in it at the beginning of
your turn. You represent controlling the
objective by placing one of your flags in the
grid. As long as you control it, you capture
the Strategic Objective at the end of your
turn, even if you no longer have any units
in it. To take a controlled strategic objective
from an enemy you will need to have a
unit in it at the end of your turn. You can
then remove their flag and capture the
strategic objective, scoring a victory point.
Controlling a Strategic Objective can also
have additional effects depending on the
scenario being played.

My little brain is reading a contradiction in terms. It says you gain control of an objective at the start of your turn but finishes the paragraph by stating that the turn you destroy a unit and then take over the objective you then score a point at the end of your turn. Thankfully I read that not so literally the first time and have always played this game like a game of Battlefield on the PC. Once I take the flag its mine until its taken back from me regardless of whether or not I have a person in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said on the link above:
Quote:
You capture an SO if you have units in it at the end of your turn.

You control an SO if you have infantry in an SO at the start of your turn.

The purpose of this distinction is:

> An SO you control scores you points regardless of whether you have no units in it.

Take this example:
Turn 1. You capture an SO and score a VP at the end of your turn.
Turn 2. Your opponent destroys all your units in the SO.
Turn 3. At the start of your turn, you have no units in the SO; you do not control it. During your turn you cannot move units into the SO. You do no score a VP at the end of the turn.

As opposed to:

Turn 1. You capture an SO and score a VP at the end of your turn.
Turn 2. Your opponent destroys all your units in the SO.
Turn 3. At the start of your turn, you have no units in the SO; you do not control it. During your turn you move units into the SO; you capture the SO and score a VP at the end of the turn.

Very different from:

Turn 1. You capture an SO and score a VP at the end of the turn.
Turn 2. Your opponent fails to destroy your units in the SO.
Turn 3. At the start of your turn, you control the SO, and put a flag in it to signify control. You may now move all the units out into a different grid. At the end of the turn you control the SO with no units in it, you score a VP.
Turn 4. Your opponent moves into the SO; they capture it. Your flag is removed. Your opponent scores a VP.

Having units in a SO at the start of your turn signifies you control the SO. Your opponent has failed to rout you, the bonus is the SO continues to score you points until your opponent captures it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls