Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Dutton
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been into my Squad Leader boxes in YEARS. After a recent move and reorganizing into a new "game room" (a large bedroom we don't need as a guest room), I've been trying to organize things that haven't been organized in, at times, decades. I've been coming across several situations where we were evidently coming back to something soon, but never did, so whatever was being used together stayed that way.

OK, so this is how we get to Squad Leader, which had various map sections in all four of the SL and three gamette boxes. BGG was helpful in convincing me that maps 1-4 are the original game. Map 5 is Cross of Iron, Maps 6-7 are Crescendo of Doom, and ...

then ...

there are maps 8, 12, 13, 14, and 15 in GI Anvil of Victory.

I have maps 9, 10, 11. Does anyone know where in the heck THEY came from? LOL

Did Avalon Hill sell us just a set of expansion maps and scenarios at some point which weren't part of a gamette?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
This thread seems to list both SL and ASL maps: ASL Mapboard Publication List
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dutton
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link. That just confused me more. LOL

It seems to list product sources for 9, 10, and 11 that I'm sure I never bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lloyd
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean that off-color maps? They were an abandoned set by AH. They made a limited run which were available via special order. There were no official scenarios written using them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dutton
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
plloyd1010 wrote:
Do you mean that off-color maps? They were an abandoned set by AH. They made a limited run which were available via special order. There were no official scenarios written using them.
That seems right. I just pulled them out and compared, and the colors on those maps look much deeper than other SL maps. I'd been a subscriber to The General for a good while, so I'm going to guess maybe I saw an ad in it and ordered them. I ought to dig out my old Generals and see if I can find a place where I clipped out an order form. :-)

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
msg tools
mb
They are from the Rogue Scenarios. The original boards used psychedelic colors that were at best seizure inducing. Later editions of the boards used standard colors. The ASL boards had minor modifications, like the inclusion of a path and the removal of stair-well symbols. Avalon Hill didn't consider them 'standard' and did not use them in 'official' scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dutton
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that it's the other way around. The boards came out first, then someone created scenarios since they were in existence. The colors on the boards aren't bad. The colors are just deeper greens and browns, for example. Later today when I get a chance I'll post a picture of them with 8 and 12 on each side to compare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lloyd
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vranger wrote:
My guess is that it's the other way around. The boards came out first, then someone created scenarios since they were in existence. The colors on the boards aren't bad. The colors are just deeper greens and browns, for example. Later today when I get a chance I'll post a picture of them with 8 and 12 on each side to compare.
That is what I remember. I think inception was concurrent, but when the boards were dropped, scenario development ceased. When the boards were released, I think the scenarios were hastily cleaned up and released afterward. I think only like 6 months later?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb

Scenarios J, K and N, which were released in the General, all use board 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dutton
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:

I've got some extra scenario pages in my Anvil of Victory box, which may be just what you're referring to. I'll check that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
msg tools
mb
tanik wrote:

Ha! never say 'never'. : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb

Vranger wrote:
tanik wrote:

I've got some extra scenario pages in my Anvil of Victory box, which may be just what you're referring to. I'll check that.
I have those if anyone is interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb

I like board 9. And just because this a good excuse to do so, here it is in its 3D glory at work in scenario 212, one of those Scott-forementioned releases.

Great scenario!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
And yet, I still bother.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could buy them by mail starting in Dec/Nov 79. The General Volume 16 # 4 ran an ad on page 34.

More ads followed, but that was the first one I found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls