Patrick Smalley
msg tools
I've gotten access to all the Cosmic expansions at 75%(!) off. This seems like a good deal, but I'm mindful of the reportedly decreased quality of these expansions.

I've got Conflict, Dominion, and Incursion, and that's a whole lot of content. Is is necessary to get the other expansions, even if it's for super cheap? I don't want to deflate the quality of Aliens in my collection. I don't want my collection to have any filler, which Alliance and Storm are a bit infamous for or so I'm told. With Eons the problem is more that the complexity of that box seems to be rather high, and I don't have a steady group of players, complexity bloat could turn people off (that said, Alliance dials seem like a good addition).

There is also an issue of storage, I don't have a lot of space for bad aliens or unused mechanics, and that seems to be a criticism once you get a lot more of the content.

That said, each of them might go for 5-7 dollars. Do you think they're worth it at that point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesus Torres

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do. If you don’t take them, let me know where to find them for that price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johann Gambolputty
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At that price you could chuck all the aliens you don't like into the trash and you'd still be getting a great deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uatu O'Lantern
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to decide what you want and what you need, but 75% off is a great deal! If it was me, I'd even buy Storm at 75% off! How do the rest of us get in on this deal?

But to give more details:
Alliance is a fine expansion - not quite as good as Conflict, Incursion, or Dominion, but still good.
Storm is "bad" in that there's a lot of content that seems like a waste of space. But there are some good aliens in there. I've specifically said before that about 25% of CS is decent content, and that I would buy it if I ever saw it for sale at 75% off.
Eons I don't know as much about, but I've read the alien powers, and other stuff that's in there. It's good, but complex - many of the aliens themselves are complex, moreso that Dominion. Dominion added a lot of complexity in all the new cards and card types, while Eons added complexity in some of the aliens. But not all the aliens are "essense" aliens, so at 75% off, it would still be a good buy, even if you never use the more complex aliens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Smalley
msg tools
To those asking, it is an employee discount, so I'm afraid I can't get you guys the deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the Aliens, aside from some in Cosmic Storm, add a ton to Cosmic Encounter, and are well worth adding. With the above exception, the alien quality did not reduce, and in some cases only increased - some of the later expansions have weirder and more complex alien powers, which really helps Cosmic rumble along.

We very rarely play with any other expansion components, aside from the resource deck (and now the combined resource deck).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iron Gates
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Each expansion adds aliens, of course, but they also each add something else. The base game adds tech cards. Incursion adds an additional player and the reward deck. Conflict adds an additional player and the hazard deck. Alliance adds an additional player and the cards for a 7+ player game. Storm adds space stations. Dominion adds special ships (plus more reward cards). Finally, Eons adds alliance dials.

This material can be grouped into three categories: additional players (the markers themselves plus large group cards), alliance phase enhancement (reward deck and alliance dials), and extra content (tech cards, hazards, space stations, and special ships). The first two categories expand on what is already integral to the game. The last category adds more to the basic rules, which could make the game fiddly.

I would say Incursion and Eons are the most important and easiest expansions to integrate. The rewards cards (Incursion) and alliance dials (Eons) simply expand on an existing game concept - the alliance phase - and add more incentive, drama, and fun. Plus, Incursion gives you a 6th player. Dominion slots nicely here as well. You get more rewards cards and also special ships. The special ships make the game a little fiddly, but they are optional and their effects can be customized.

Then, determine if you will have 7 or 8 players in your group. If 7, get Alliance. If 8, get both Alliance and Conflict. I recommend Alliance first so you get the extra player and access to the large group cards. If you will not play with more than 6 people, then you can skip both of these expansions. The extra content of Alliance doesn't work with less than 7, and the Hazards of Conflict fall into the "extra content" category, which means it isn't crucial and could make the game fiddly.

Finally, you have Storm. Probably the expansion that adds the most fiddliness and upkeep due to Space Stations. They're fun, and the powers are cool, but like tech cards it's another thing to track.

So that's my recommended order. Incursion, Eons, and Dominion first - slot nicely into existing rules, all enhance the alliance phase, and you get a 6th player. Only a small amount of extra fiddliness. Then add Alliance if you play with 7, and Conflict if you play with 8. Want more, add tech cards (base), space stations (Storm), and hazards (Conflict). Those last three additions will bump up the fiddliness quite a bit, but they do add more fun.

Of course, you can always get an expansion just because you like the aliens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have all the expansions with all the aliens are in play, but each game we only choose two of the optional mechanics: Hazards, rewards, tech, space stations, etc. Gives the game a little more variety for us. You can definitely see a change a playing style based on what we have in any particular game.

For storage, I have a large Plano style box that holds all decks and components. The aliens stay in their expansion boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Little
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You have the best expansions already, so kudos. I have all the expansions and I recently cut down the number of aliens I use to around 120. When I looked through to see which expansions fared the best, it became clear how I felt about each of them.

Eons: I kept the least. Like, 6 of them. This is the most recent expansion and it's clear to me they ran out of ideas. I'm okay with complex aliens, but only for the player playing them. I hate it when everyone else has to try to wrap their heads around what your alien does, not out of fear but out of confusion or annoyance. A very common question when playing with a Eons alien: "So, wait, what does that do again?" A ton of additional components are added making a lot of these powers fiddly and cumbersome. As for the alliance dials, there are a ton of ways to just do this without the actual dials. If 5-10 solid aliens is worth it for $5-7, go for it.

Alliance: White player color looks good on the table, for $5-7 I might buy this one just for that. A few more good aliens than Eons, but not a ton. I'd say go for it.

Storm: When you first get it, you'll think the space stations are cool. It's basically a second player power! And then you spend half a game forgetting you even have one and soon you realize you'd rather play without them. Roughly the same number of good aliens as in Eons, components and everything. So same advice there.

Now, ALL THAT BEING SAID! If you're saying you can get three expansions to a great game for $20 or less, then absolutely go for it! My advice at that point would just be to go through the aliens and trim down. I used what I called the three B's: Bad, Boring, or Bull####. If the power is any of those, remove it. You then have a great and diverse set of aliens and a number of optional mechanics to add if you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
...I paid 100 GeekGold for THIS?
mbmbmb
Based on your concerns I'd guess yeah you already have the 3 best expansions for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I may be partial .... but I'd say get them for the aliens alone.

The nice thing about CE is that it's very modular, you can add or remove aspects of the game you don't want without feeling like you're missing out on something.

Alliance is a decent expansion, maybe 8-12 decent aliens depending on your preference. The larger deck is nice to have if you can ever get 7 or 8 players.

Cosmic Storm is by far the worst expansion, probably only 3-5 aliens worth using. The space stations are poorly implemented, they are more like a random and fiddly tech ... but your group might like that kind of thing.

Cosmic Eons I like, aliens a little more complicated, but I'd say there are 8-12 that are decent. I actually like the aliens that have their own 'essence cards'. The alliance dials are also included with this expansion, although our group doesn't generally use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Burns
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oatesatm wrote:
The nice thing about CE is that it's very modular, you can add or remove aspects of the game you don't want without feeling like you're missing out on something.
Right, and the reality is that, at this point, I think we can break FFG's Cosmic Encounter game down into three separate pieces: the Novice game, the Standard game, and Advanced Cosmic Encounter.

This will be the subject of a big post I'm constructing now, but suffice to say for now that the yellow & red alert aliens of Cosmic Eons (as well as those of Cosmic Dominion, tbh) belong to Advanced Cosmic Encounter, while the Alliance Dials (deservedly popular) can easily regarded as Standard.

Saying "Eons is great" or "the Eons aliens are too fiddly and confusing" isn't really helpful, and banning them is tragic. They're part of an Advanced Cosmic Encounter game. Wait on your purchase of Cosmic Eons if you're not ready for the Advanced game with CE veterans (or buy it if you really need the dials, I don't care).

Having a Novice game manifest (which is essentially green & yellow aliens from the base set, no Flares) is great for me as I only play occasionally. Then, second or third game in, we break out everything on the Standard game manifest.

More on this in my upcoming post on this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls