Subject: Thoughts of a new user.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alyssa Bee
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing board games ever since i was a child (and never stopped) BUT a search for azul and the discovery of the existence of joker tiles as expansion for the azul game brought me here.

Ever since i registered about 3 days ago i was browsing around , found another azul expansion and started to spend (real ) money lol!

Now the azul joker tiles, the spielepreis goodie box with another small azul expansion and thanks to an offer the german version of hostage negotiator are on its way to be delivered to me. YAY!

BUT although it was costly to find this board and with it these expansions and the new game - all the infos given here through efforts from other members are priceless!

I bought the hostage negotiator simply because of a really heartwarming review and the expansions cause those market prices are unspeakable ovherpriced and could only do so cause people provided links or infos.

So i'm spreading some love, i don't care that i spent money cause i'm happy what i found and thanks to some really generous folks i have an avatar and 4 badges 3 days after registration and don't need to run around naked...

So much love from me, i already love this board
heart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome, Alyssa!

Be patient with purchasing and guard your wallet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyssa Bee
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 weeks later
After being registrated now 2 weeks i

watched (countless)

- reviews
- playthroughs
- unboxings

added

- games
- gold
- images

read

- text reviews
- threads
- links to interesting games
- different projects on kickstarter

bought

- Hostage negotiator (german version: Der unterhändler)
- Captive

learned

- new rules or corrections
- kickstarter projects
- solitaire isn't just a game i used to play, also a term for the genre
of 1 player games

backed

- Zombies the cure which will unfortunatly not reach its goal (10k)
within the next 11 days

expanded

- 2 abductor packs for hostage negotiator
- azul joker tiles
- azul promo (from the goodiebox 2018)

played

- azul 17 times (5 with joker tiles)
- hostage negotiator 6 times

and never read my favourite horror magazine virus, which is lying untouched on the table ever since it came out in January

I guess that's a lot for just 2 weeks cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
alyssababe wrote:
After being registrated now 2 weeks i

watched (countless)

- reviews
- playthroughs
- unboxings

added

- games
- gold
- images

read

- text reviews
- threads
- links to interesting games
- different projects on kickstarter

bought

- Hostage negotiator (german version: Der unterhändler)
- Captive

learned

- new rules or corrections
- kickstarter projects
- solitaire isn't just a game i used to play, also a term for the genre
of 1 player games

backed

- Zombies the cure which will unfortunatly not reach its goal (10k)
within the next 11 days

expanded

- 2 abductor packs for hostage negotiator
- azul joker tiles
- azul promo (from the goodiebox 2018)

played

- azul 17 times (5 with joker tiles)
- hostage negotiator 6 times

and never read my favourite horror magazine virus, which is lying untouched on the table ever since it came out in January

I guess that's a lot for just 2 weeks cool
After 2 weeks, I was barely able to log in and look up a game. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ross
Scotland
Motherwell
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Geek, hope you have a great time here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the BGG community, Alyssa!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Schmitz
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to The Geek! So glad that you've been able to feed your addiction like the rest of us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyssa Bee
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you guys for the warm welcome and for still reading this 3 months later...

I still get some gold, that's how i see it

I'm not so new anymore but learned a lot through this board.

Just backed my first game on KS (hostage negotiator career) and waiting for my very first KS to be delivered - a zombie comic book

All of this because of YOU,

who take yr time to create very helpful threads, posts, sessions, videos

T H A N K S

heart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyssa Bee
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8 months later- first ESSEN SPIEL
(crosspost with Essen forum)

I visited SPIEL19 on Thursday, as a first timer i watched countless videos, made lists, researched transportation and prepared for that 1 day 2 weeks in advance. I arrived at Düsseldort airport 8.40 am and left Essen main at 8pm by bus, arriving back home Friday around lunch. I wrote this report, cause some of the infos i share here is learning by doing and not part of the first-time-Essen-videos.

General:

Alain’s plans are a MUST have. To have them printed and highlighted in which booth and hall to find the games i needed was a life (and time saver). And i have seen lots of people with those plans

As i was eating outside before i entered i could see the shuffle buses from P 10: 2 or 3 buses full of people, every 3 minutes, spitting them out. P1 i guess is unreachable. It is so close to the entrance that i assume people must arrive at least the night before to even consider parking there.

I entered Entrance East, right next to the metro station and bought the ticket. There were no people, no lines and not one person before me. They have enough Kassa counters to avoid waiting times.

In main station Essen, directly opposite from the U11 metro that brings you to the Messe, there is a Rossmann where you can buy bottles of Coke, Fanta or cans of Red Bull or water. You don’t need to run around and look for supermarkets. The 0,5 l coke bottles costs 99 cents. You will need plenty of fluid! I had 0,75 l Water and 0,5l coke with me and needed to buy one extra 0,5l bottle of Fanta for 4 Euro, very overpriced, even for a convention. In Essen main you can also get good, fresh sandwiches at Backwerk, right next to Rossmann.

Remember there is 25 cent deposit on plastic bottles, beer bottles and cans. If you don’t wanna carry the empty bottles around to collect the deposit later, just leave them next to garbage bins, but outside. People will come around and collect them, i saw at least 2 people by bike driving around collecting those empty bottles and it’s a good enviromental move

Trolleys, cajon backpacks or AEG bag?

I have seen people on here to look down or belittle people who come with trolleys. Yes i came with a trolley ( size of a hand luggage) as well! BUT I’m an average gaming person, who enjoys solo games, Adventure and escape tale games with friends, Azul with my mom and kid games with my little nephews.

I consider people who arrive with those extra huge cajon backpacks as hoarders, complaing about how tins don’t fit in their ikea kallax shelves to show off instead of playing, a minority. Maybe more here on BGG but a minority in real life.

I had to queue up for mystery house 30 minutes and whenever the huge cajon backpack guy in front of me moved 2 cm/inches i HAD to move with him to not fall down. I havn’t heard such an amount of sorry’s in 30 minutes before in my life. With a full trolley i can still move, not disturbing others, with that full backpack you simply can’t, it’s too huge and it’s build to carry a 5kg music instrument and not 20 to 25 kg of games. If you need something huge, get the free big bag from AEG.

Transportation:

You can seriously consider FLIXBUS if you are coming from Austria, Germany, Belgium, France, Luxemburg, Swiss, Hungary, Poland, NL or UK instead of flying. I took the bus back home from Essen, simply because the return flight was too expensive and the bus did cost me 40 Euro. For example, Amsterdam to Essen, direct, 20 Euro by Bus. Considering that the (train) ticket from Düsseldorf airport to Main Essen is already 12,80, there is no way you could get a flight for 7,20 from Amsterdam to DUS.

Internationally you can consider not only DUS as airport, but also the airports Bonn/ Cologne (1 h to Essen main by bus) or Frankfurt (4 hours to Essen main by bus). The bus ticket from airport Bonn/Cologne to Essen Main is around 8 Euro, so even cheaper than the train ticket airport Dusseldorf to Essen main (12,80), although Düsseldorf airport is closer to Essen.

To reach the trains departing from Düsseldorf airport you need to take the SKY TRAIN to airport train station. Pls ask for the sky train, it’s not easy to find, it’s free transportation between terminals and the train stations and it saves up time instead of wandering around, losing precious time.

Promos:

Now THAT was a disppointment! Almost all the promos that have been announced on here as free, weren't. Azul promo Reality: 10 Euro extra. When i mentioned to the very unfriendly staff that it is considered to be free, she said no,pointing to the price list, not even asking around. So buying an overpriced Azul for 40 Euro, which i could easly get at Hofer/Aldi for 29 just before christmas (as it was with Azul 1), then 10 Euro for the expansion. No, hell, no, i will stay with Azul 1 boycotting Azul 3, wasn’t the first disappointment with Next Moves anyway.

Rollecate’s expansion is also not free like stated here on BGG, it is 3 Euro. BUT when i told him that it is considered to be free, he said yeah it was a mistake on BGG, but as you read it, you will get it for free.

Mystery House. Torch (flashlight) for free if base game is bought at the fair. NOPE. Pricelist says 10 Euro. Before i was queuing up i was talking to one the represantatives if there will be enough flashlights for free and he said yes yes no worries we have 300 more in the back and after waiting 30 minutes, i simply didn’t have to pay the extra 10 Euros, cause he remembered me (I started discussing with another sales person there).

Cat Cafe: Promo is 2,99 but didn’t arrive in time. Thanks to BGG i found someone to catch it for me.

Overall, even if i got 2 out of 4 promos for free (after discussing), they all would have cost extra money, although stated here on BGG to be free. Andi f you visit the fair especially for promos, and pre-realease date-buys like i did, then this is a huge turn-off.

Most interesting:

I had a great and informative talk with the game desginer of Low memory , the second game in the new escape tale series, talking about the Awakening and the differences. I didn’t buy the game, although i was tempted, cause the german version will be available in Spring next year (KOSMOS). Just read in another thread that it sold out on Friday.

Later i saw a very, very sweet children’s game, stopped and started talking to the guy, who also turned out to be the game designer from Canada. The game Zoolywood will kicksart in March next year, he even converted the Canadian dollar into euro for me (will be 33 euro for the game plus EU friendly) and in the end i got a cool free comic book  Will definitely back it.

Games on my list i wanted, didn’t buy and why

Azul summer pavilion – overpriced and charging 10 Euro extra for the promo
Tschaka Alpaka – 3 Euro less on amazon than on the fair, as this is a christmas gift, i don’t need to spend more money and carry it around, than having it delivered to my door.
Zombie schnapp – same reason as Alpaka
Zombie dice – got them cheap 2nd hand, 2 days before the fair
cat sudoko – stuck in customs, just read it’s available now hmmm 
A la carte – Heidelbär will be on the Spielefest in November, so i’ll get it there
Walking in Burano – simply didn’t have enough energy and motivation, to go all the way back to grab it, the only game i feel bad about not getting 

And finally my little loot
Mystery house
Cat lady deluxe
Cat cafe
Adventure games: die Vulkaninsel
Rollecate
Itchy feet
1 dice tray and 3 dice

I have to confess if i would have gotten all the games i wanted/planned, my little hand baggage trolley would have been too small. So i wasn’t unhappy that some were more expensive there than on amazon

Even if that won’t sound like much for other people, i had a great experience there. If i come back and it depends on what games i like next year (pre-release, promos, foreign publishers) i would do things slightly differently:
- look and book a moderate accomodation early (2 nights), whether Main station or Duisburg as there is a good connection,
- arriving Wednesday night.
- Get my listed games Thursday morning till around 2pm,
- then visit the Grugapark (right next to the entrance East) for the orangerie, the maze and the Hundertwasserhaus for relaxing.
- Enter the Spiel again Friday morning to watch and play without the urge of collecting before selling out.
- Visit the therme in Grugapark for warm relaxing bathing
- Drive back home or fly, whatever is cheaper

This is my experience as a first timer. I didn’t go there to play but to buy. I watched some games, i talked to game designers and it was worth the travel. And i'm happy now

VIE – DUS – Essen- VIE in 30 hours, it’s possible

PS: yeah i know there is a loot Essen list, but in between people who get 30 games (on wednesday) before the convention even started, i would feel lost, that's a whole different world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Schmitz
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review of your experiences there, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls