Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys. Sorry if this was already posted.

I am interesting in playing this game solo (Vs AI, Coop, or playing the best of both teams only if I dont need to hide information).

I saw that there are 2 main expansions. The latest one being a kind of stand alone game...but not really.

That being said, whats the best way for a solo gamer to proceed with this game? Should I get only the core game? Do both expansions offer something amazing for solo gamers? Or just the replica expansion?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
ORVAULT
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is 2 solo modes in the core box.
Each expansion really expand the base game and add some more solo options.
The third expansion need the second one to be used completely (you could proxy some token if need be)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Trytiak
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here, i just got core box and learning rules.

I do not like Doomsday scenario much but very like Alien empires one. I think i'll make around ~10 plays to get all rules correct and then proceed to expansions. 1st expansion is out of print btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game offers a lot. I like the DM scenario. Perfect for beginners and getting into the rules. The AP scenario will give you a lot to do. Get the base game only and see if the game works for you. No need to get the expansions right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Gianti
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
"You are who you choose to be."
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all three and am strictly a solo player.

The Doomsday machine scenarios don't really interest me, I exclusively play the Alien Player solo scenarios.

I most enjoy the AP SOLO #4 scenario from the 1st expansion and feel it is the most balanced and simplest setup of all the solo games, which also gives a big epic feel (which the Doomsday machine scenarios do not give me) and the solo setup from the "Close Encounters" book gives me the best combination of difficulty and interest.

The second expansion adds a new race with a new way to play and solo rules but nothing that I've been interested enough to try. Maybe someday, but maybe not. For solo play, the base game and 1st expansion will keep me busy for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lockdall

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations
badge
weaving waves of air
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ap scenario from the base game also has an app, if you use Android, to run the Ap player. I have never used it because i am an Apple loser. But it seems pretty ideal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lockdall

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
badge
weaving waves of air
mbmbmbmbmb
matloc wrote:
The Ap scenario from the base game also has an app, if you use Android, to run the Ap player. I have never used it because i am an Apple loser. But it seems pretty ideal.
I looks like someone added a linux and mac beta version as well. here is the bgg page.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/175739/space-empires-app
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Alta Loma
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played many of the different scenarios over the years, I have found that I prefer using the upgraded Alien Empires scenario from the 1st expansion, Close Encounters. The expanded flow chart along with the rules from that expansion make it more enjoyable for me. It also uses a new victory point system that I like as well. For even more challenge, you can also download the fan made Alien VP scenario variant here on BGG:
Alien VP scenario variant

There is also a new foe to fight solitaire, the Space Amoebas. It is true however that the 1st expansion is out of print, however it is currently in the process of being reprinted at GMT so it will be available again soon. You can also preorder it both at GMT and at various other online retailers.

The 2nd expansion adds the very interesting Replicators, as well as other new game rules such as Resource Cards. The expansion also includes a Replicator AI opponent for playing against that works well that you use as an opponent in a Normal or Large Map 2-Player scenario set-up. A nice thing about the Replicators is they don't need as much side die-rolling and paperwork, even in multi-player the Replicators are much easier to manage than a player empire at least in terms of paperwork.

The Replicators expansion is currently available, though as mentioned if you don't have Close Encounters there are a few counters you will have to sub for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Varner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matloc wrote:
matloc wrote:
I looks like someone added a linux and mac beta version as well. here is the bgg page.

Another option is my app, which runs on any device with a Web browser: https://alien-empires-bot.herokuapp.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lockdall

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
badge
weaving waves of air
mbmbmbmbmb
Squid In Squid Ink wrote:
matloc wrote:
matloc wrote:

Another option is my app, which runs on any device with a Web browser: https://alien-empires-bot.herokuapp.com/

this is cool. i look forward to trying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all.
So ill just start with the Core box and see how it plays out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lockdall

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
badge
weaving waves of air
mbmbmbmbmb
Grove123 wrote:
Thank you all.
So ill just start with the Core box and see how it plays out.
It's a good place to start. the expansions only really add more things, which are great, but the base game has plenty for your first few plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wibble the Obscure
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Grove123 wrote:
I am interesting in playing this game solo (Vs AI, Coop, or playing the best of both teams only if I dont need to hide information).
I think it is a great game solo and as others have stated with the base game you get 2x Solo scenarios.
One of the fascinating features of the game is the way your map changes every time you play. Added to this are some very interesting Solo rules so you will just be controlling your Empire and a few dice rolls will handle the rest.
IMHO the 'Alien Empire Scenario' is more interesting but the 'Doomsday Machine Scenario' is very quick to learn and play.

Ichirou wrote:
Having played many of the different scenarios over the years, I have found that I prefer using the upgraded Alien Empires scenario from the 1st expansion, Close Encounters.
There is also a new foe to fight solitaire, the Space Amoebas.
That is interesting Chris. I have my SE: CE on order and are just waiting on the re-print.
I already have 'Replicators' but i feel it is missing something without 'Close Encounters' so i have not delved too deeply into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls