Subject: Vagabond Allied Status Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob DS
Canada
flag msg tools
I took Root out to my playing group for its maiden voyage

I played the Vagabond

I reached Alliance Status with Marquis de Cat.

To get the Marquis to the Allied spot on the relationship track, I had to give the Marquis Faction 3 cards.

Once a faction is Allied with the Vagabond the rules state;

"each time the Vagabond aids an Allied Faction they gain two victory points"

My question is, once a Faction is allied, how many cards do I need to give that faction in order to "aid" them for the 2 victory points

Now that the Allied Faction is Allied with me, do I have to give the Allied Faction 3 cards each time I "aid" them or can I give them only 1 card to get the 2 Victory Points ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eira Følling
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One aid is always one card.

Advancing the track requires a specified number of aid actions in one turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivien JustJ

New York
msg tools
Men's Rights Deactivist
badge
class instinct > politics
mbmbmb
Quote:
9.5.4 Aid. Exhaust any one item, and give one of your
cards matching your clearing to any player there
(even Hostile). Then, you may take one item, if any,
from that player’s Crafted Items box, and place it
face up in your Satchel or on its matching track.
Then, check your relationship with that player.
remember, to move up the relationship track as vagabond, you're not simply aiding with extra cards in a turn: you're completing the aid action a number a times in a turn - exhausting an item and offering a card matching your clearing for each aid action!

that said, to gain the points you need only 1 card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob DS
Canada
flag msg tools
Interesting

So to move up the relationship track, that obviously follows the markings on the Vagabond player board

However, if I want to get an item from another player, I can give them a single card/aid and get that item, I just don't move them up them the relationship track.

That's a nuance I hadn't considered.

Thanks for the response

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob DS
Canada
flag msg tools
I didn't have an issue moving the factions up the relationship track. I understood that part of the Vagabond game play.

What I wasn't distinguishing properly was the difference between giving an aid/card and moving a player up the relationship track. I thought the two needed to be intertwined but they don't need to be, they can be independent actions.

Here is another question;

If I have a Faction on the first level of the relationship track, just to the right of 'indifferent', the first time I move the faction to that space I get 1 VP.

If I continue to give that Faction/player one aid/card on subsequent turns, do I continue to get a victory point every time I do this or do I only get that 1 VP once on the lower portions of the relationship track (everything in between the Allied and Indifferent spots on the relationship track)?

The way I currently interpret things is that until I move a character up the Relationship track to the Allied section, I only get the VP points ONCE from the lower VP portions, no matter how many times I give that Faction 'Aid'. I can still use the aid action for the Factions on the lower levels of the relationship track, but I don't get additional VP's if they remain in the same spot of the relationship track (everything in between the Allied and Indifferent spots on the relationship track).

Let me know if my understanding is correct

Thanks again for your responses

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Owen
United Kingdom
Appleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
How it works is:

For each faction and in the presence of that faction

The first time you aid you give up a clearing coded card and exhaust an item to gain 1VP and rise 1 space.

This does not change until you do the same thing twice in a single turn to rise to the next space for 2VP

When you do it three times in a single turn you then reach allied and another 2VP

On being allied you give card/exhaust an item as before to gain 2VP and if the faction has any sense it will attack you!

You can gain items along the way although these are somewhat incidental to your aiding efforts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivien JustJ

New York
msg tools
Men's Rights Deactivist
badge
mbmbmb
TrueNorth2112 wrote:
I didn't have an issue moving the factions up the relationship track. I understood that part of the Vagabond game play.

What I wasn't distinguishing properly was the difference between giving an aid/card and moving a player up the relationship track. I thought the two needed to be intertwined but they don't need to be, they can be independent actions.
they are intertwined. "giving a card" is part of the aid action, and the aid action is what moves you up the relationship track. you can aid without moving up the track, but you cannot move up the track without aiding, and you cannot give a card without aiding.
Quote:

Here is another question;

If I have a Faction on the first level of the relationship track, just to the right of 'indifferent', the first time I move the faction to that space I get 1 VP.

If I continue to give that Faction/player one aid/card on subsequent turns, do I continue to get a victory point every time I do this or do I only get that 1 VP once on the lower portions of the relationship track (everything in between the Allied and Indifferent spots on the relationship track)?
you only get the VP shown at the top the the track when you attain that relationship level. it is like a ladder.

to get to the first rung: you must aid an enemy faction once in your turn. then you get a VP.
to get to the second rung: you must aid an enemy from the first run TWICE in one turn. then you move up and get 2 VP.
to get to the third (allied) rung: you must aid an enemy from the second run THREE TIMES in one turn. then you get to move to allied rung and get 2 VPs, plus 2 VPs each time you aid them in the future. (until you gank one of them, whoops.)

remember: to aid you must: be in the same clearing, exhaust an item, and give one card of the same suit as the clearing you are in. to aid three times, you must exhaust three items and give 3 matching cards!

Quote:

The way I currently interpret things is that until I move a character up the Relationship track to the Allied section, I only get the VP points ONCE from the lower VP portions, no matter how many times I give that Faction 'Aid'.
correct
Quote:
I can still use the aid action for the Factions on the lower levels of the relationship track, but I don't get additional VP's if they remain in the same spot of the relationship track (everything in between the Allied and Indifferent spots on the relationship track).
yup
Quote:

Let me know if my understanding is correct
Thanks again for your responses
seems you have the VPs correct, just make sure you're doing the "Aid" action correctly. on my first few games the most forgotten rules were making sure to exhaust an item and making sure the card offered in aid matched the suit of the clearing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of a follow-up, kind, sorta related question:

When the Vagabond is at Hostile with a faction, she can never bring them back to Indifferent, correct? Even though you can aid a Hostile faction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reemer wrote:
Sort of a follow-up, kind, sorta related question:

When the Vagabond is at Hostile with a faction, she can never bring them back to Indifferent, correct? Even though you can aid a Hostile faction?
I believe the only way to get out of Hostile status is to play a Dominance card to form a coalition with them - see 9.2.9.III.d.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, there it is. Not sure how I missed that!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
just wish to clarify, if i am with WA on indifference this turn and i aid him 3 times this turn, do i go to allied directly or go to the level 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivien JustJ

New York
msg tools
Men's Rights Deactivist
badge
mbmbmb
level 2