Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kerpu Soong
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Hey, all.

I've recently purchased The Quacks of Quedlinburg and is having a blast playing this game frequently with my gaming groups; however, the one common question and comment towards the game was on how the rubies are being acquired throughout the game, especially once you've started to play on the test-tube side of the board.

Without special chips helping, do you really just earn 1 ruby on a ruby scoring tile? I've read that the English rule book translation wasn't the best in the world and have missed some information (e.g. players start the game with 1 ruby in German version) and I'm just wondering if ruby spot should be scored differently to allow players to earn multiple rubies per turn. In a lot of our games seem like every player can only utilize the 2-ruby exchanges a couple of times throughout.

Once we started playing on the test-tube side we've tried house-ruling that if a player scores on the ruby tile then he/she earns rubies equal to the total number of ruby tiles "covered" in his/her pot plus 1. We were able to utilize the 2-ruby exchange action after each round a lot more frequent after then. Not sure if this is a sure fix, though. How do you guys/gals think?

Thanks for any answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
Without special chips helping, do you really just earn 1 ruby on a ruby scoring tile?
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Hohenberger
Germany
flag msg tools
If you play with the first set of books, you can get tubies by drawing spider tokens and the person who may roll the die has a chance to get one, too. And if you have the most moth tokens in your cauldron, you can also get a ruby. So, there are actually several ways, but the ruby granting fields in the cauldron is the safest way, albeit only granting on per round (if you're lucky enough to land on one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls