Subject: [WIP] Relics and Ruins rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Hill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
ok so far this is in progress as still at the planning stage, i have the rules up to a point, simple rules are still subject to change.

Introduction

The game is called relics and ruins and is currently aimed at two players, this might increase if I find that it doesn't dramatically increase game time or components needed - at current it may support 3 players but needs testing with that

The basic premise is for a tile placing game in which your adventurers can move around, discover tombs and hopefully claim the treasure within

Each player will be trying to build the tilemap in a way that matches his hand of tomb and treasure maps, while also moving his adventurer around to steal treasures from their opponent's already placed tombs

I'm aiming each game to take around an hour

Once a tomb entrance is placed on the map it will create a separate side map, these will be drawn from a separate card pile and may consist of traps, corridors, dead ends or treasures - traps can only be overcome with the correct cards which can be found either as treasure on the map or on the bodies of failed explorers in the corridors

Next Steps

the next step is to print several test components, I have to admit my art is not my strong point so these are likely to be basic

the general basis of the game is a tile placing, tomb exploring game in which its perfectly fine to steal the treasure out from under another explorer

main reason im posting it is im still trying to decide several things

print and play or try and get it produced?
is it too similar to another game?
and basically is it worth me pushing any further?

------

Rules

Box contents

Map Cards

20x Lake Tiles 20x Ruin Tiles 20x City Tiles
20x Castle Tiles 20x Field Tiles 50x Blank Tiles(?)
1x Tavern Tile 10x Entrance Tiles 20x Treasure Tiles

Tomb Cards

15x Corridor Cards 20x Trap Cards 5x Dead End Cards
5x Relic Cards 10x Lost explorer Cards

Player Cards

40x Entrance Cards 40x Tool Cards 10x Explorer Cards

Other Parts

5x Ruby Relics 20x entrance links

Set up

Shuffle the Entrance cards and deal 5 to each player - place the rest in the box
Shuffle the Treasure cards and deal 10 to each player - place the rest in the box
Shuffle the adventurer cards and deal one to each player - place the rest in the box
Place the stack of blank cards where each player can reach
Place the Tavern card in the centre of the table with one token for each player
Place the Treasure tiles and the Entrance tiles in their own piles where each player can reach
Shuffle the rest of the map cards and place in piles face down where each player can reach
Give each player 5 pairs of entrance links
Shuffle the tomb tiles and place face down where each player can reach - do not mix with the map tiles

Game Play

Both players start in the tavern - due to this whoever brought the last round goes first
On each turn, all players get 4 action points to use plus any extra bonuses listed on their explorer card

These can be used in any of the following ways

Placing either a blank tile or one drawn randomly from the map tiles is one action point - this tile must be placed adjacent to either the starting tavern or another tile - diagonal placement is not allowed
Moving their explorer one tile takes one action point - any explorer moving to either the entrance or exit of a tomb allows them to move to either the main map or the tomb without using extra action points
Replacing a Blank tile on the map with one drawn randomly from the map tiles is one action point
Placing a new Tomb card takes one action point, this can only be placed adjacent to one an explorer is standing on - this does not need to be your own explorer
Placing a map card (either Tomb or Treasure) by placing the associated tile into the map and proving it matches the criteria

If a trap card is drawn in a tomb it can’t be passed unless the tool or equipment required have been placed on it

If a tomb entrance is placed the related card must be placed on the table as the starting point for that tomb - remember to link them by placing one of the entrance markers on it on the main map and its matching pair on the card

Using tools or equipment on a trap takes no action points unless specified on the card

Once tools have been placed on a trap they can’t be removed again, it may be worth thinking about if you can bypass a trap your opponents have had to abandon

Remember that once a tomb entrance is placed or a trap bypassed ANY explorer can use them, try to place entrances away from another character or beware that they may steal what you rightfully claim as your own

All maps have multiple squares on them, the only ones that need to match are the named tiles, any blank spaces can be a combination of any other tiles or empty places where tiles haven’t yet been placed

Finding a lost explorer in a dungeon entitles the first player to reach him to draw as many tool cards as is listed on his backpack, after all, he doesn't need them any more

The first player to three relics wins the game, If you use all the tiles before anyone gets 3 relics then reshuffle the tiles and start again in a new location keeping any relics already won

---

Example Entrance card

arachnid's tomb

Although this tomb was obviously built for someone else it didn't take long for the spiders to move in, judging by the size of their webs they seem to have been many times larger than usual, fortunately, they seem to have left now, however you can't help but wonder to where? - maybe its time to be more careful opening the kitchen cabinets...

spider webs have coated many of the traps, rolling boulders and pitfalls need no tools to pass in this tomb

Entrance cards will be playing card size, stairs on one side will show the entrance, to the right will be the description and penalties

Example Tomb Card

Picture of Corridor/trap/lost explorer to the left so it lines up with entrance card - description of trap and tool cards needed to right/general corridor text/description of how explorer got lost

End of tomb cards

Either a dead end, maybe a blank wall or raided tomb or a treasure to be found and taken - text to the right likely to be mocking on dead ends and congratulatory on treasures

---

So most importantly any opinions? mods feel free to move the thread if it would be better elsewhere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Schrimpl
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
www.amongthievesmovie.com
badge
mbmbmb
I like the title!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Matthew!

Quote:
print and play or try and get it produced?
This is not a binary choice. You can start out as a PnP and still try to have the game produced later on.

Quote:
is it too similar to another game?
I don’t worry about this when I design games. In fact, sometimes I will intentionally design a game with mechanics similar to other games I have played and liked, then later on figure out how to change it to put my own spin. A better question is: am I designing a game that I myself would enjoy playing?

Quote:
and basically is it worth me pushing any further?
Another question I don’t worry about. When I am developing a game idea, I become completely obsessed with it. So I *have* to finish the game if I start it. It’s like the game is clawing it’s way out of me.

Quote:

Map Cards

1x Tavern Tile 10x Entrance Tiles 20x Treasure Tiles

Tomb Cards

15x Corridor Cards 20x Trap Cards 5x Dead End Cards
5x Relic Cards 10x Lost explorer Cards

Player Cards

40x Entrance Cards 40x Tool Cards 10x Explorer Cards

Other Parts

5x Ruby Relics 20x entrance links
This is a lot of components. How did you come up with these numbers? I generally don’t know how many components my designs will require until almost the end of the development cycle, because of all the changes that happen during development and play testing. Generally I like to start with the fewest number of components required to realize my game idea.

I think you have a lot of playtesting ahead.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Martin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
yep i have alot of playtesting to go, as soon as i can find someone who actually wants to playtest it as the usual partner (i.e. wife) has got a monk on

the component levels are likely to change, at the moment its been a case of estimating how many map tiles it might take to make the play board match one of the maps in someone's hand, especially when two people are competing

and like you say this ones been clawing at me for a while, it is a game I can see myself playing

the rules as they are written are about 6 months old, i keep going back to them and changing the odd one as i mentally play it through. i did make components - 1st lot "lost" by the wife when the current mood started, 2nd lot eaten by dog

but at the same time i keep mentally making new tombs, although only 10 are in play i wanted to make about 40 to keep a bit of variety in the cards coming out, that might get revised down to about 20-30 to keep it down

the way i've looked at it if i over produce components and then trim them down in a play test by seeing how many are left over

i could blame my aspergers for over thinking things but i dont really like doing that - at least not unless im using it to get out of trouble

Thank you for the advice martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Courtney Murdock
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You should definitely put a bit more info into your introduction of this game if you want people to read about it. For example, how many players, how long do you think it will be (which will translate to complexity), what mechanics does it use? I know you are early in idea phase still, but that info needs to be at the very top or else people will not bother reading your intro post.

Also, like the name and the game sounds interesting. It is always worth designing something if you think you have a good idea. It does not matter if it is similar to any other games, because it will never be the exact same unless you copy it intentionally. Finally, always do a PnP even if you are going to publish in my opinion. It is the best way to get feedback to have a great product if you do choose to take it to a publisher!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
thanks will edit the first post - aiming at printing basic components this weekend and hopefully trimming down that admittedly large list of components

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
unfortunately playtest had to be put back slightly

blame a dead boiler and part of the ceiling coming down

I'm hoping for low workloads in work so that I can do rough designs in downtime

so far there has been minor changes - I haven't changed the rules yet as I'm sure there will be some more changes

Castle tiles are gone, they were too similar to the city tiles - its also automatically trimmed the component list by 20

Treasure tiles - I listed the tiles but not the treasure maps? I'm sure I'm slightly crazy these

trimmed tomb maps (entrance cards) to 20 from 40 - if each player is getting 5 that gave an over creation of 30 for 2 player or 25 for 3 players, probably not needed

components also likely to change again - each map (treasure + tomb) will list between 2-3 landmarks to match thats 15 cards for a maximum of 45 tiles so 90 tiles per 2 player game, but tiles can be matched to more than one map - at the moment i have 80 component tiles + 50 blanks - thats not going to change until after the playtest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
ok I'm going to apologise for another habit of mine - verbal diarrhoea
i have to put this down before i forget it, so expect rule changes to come as changes happen

Comment - This change is to change from 2 players to up to 4 players
Also changed card amounts - any changes are in italic or strike through

I have also about half finished the testing tiles + cards images finished, their not the best (blame work for only having paint but i had no time at home) but they can be told apart so will work, the only ones left to do are the tomb cards

Rules

Box contents

Map Cards

1x Tavern Tile 12x Entrance Tiles 12x Treasure Tiles

Tomb Cards

15x Corridor Cards 20x Trap Cards 6x Dead End Cards
6x Relic Cards 10x Lost explorer Cards

Player Cards

20x Entrance Cards 40x Tool Cards 10x Explorer Cards

Other Parts

5x Ruby Relics 12x entrance links

Set up

Shuffle the Entrance cards and for a two player game deal 6 to each player, for a three player game deal 4 to each player, and for a four player game deal 3 to each player

Shuffle the Treasure cards and for a two player game deal 6 to each player, for a three player game deal 4 to each player, and for a four player game deal 3 to each player

Shuffle the adventurer cards and deal one to each player - place the rest in the box

Place the stack of blank cards where each player can reach

Place the Tavern card in the centre of the table with one token for each player

Place the Treasure tiles and the Entrance tiles in their own piles where each player can reach

Shuffle the rest of the map cards and place in piles face down where each player can reach

Place the entrance links with the Entrance tiles - each one matches to a number on one of the entrances

Shuffle the tomb tiles and place face down where each player can reach - do not mix with the map tiles

Game Play

All players start in the tavern - due to this whoever brought the last round goes first
On each turn, all players get 4 action points to use plus any extra bonuses listed on their explorer card

These can be used in any of the following ways

Placing either a blank tile or one drawn randomly from the map tiles is one action point - this tile must be placed adjacent to either the starting tavern or another tile - diagonal placement is not allowed

Moving their explorer one tile takes one action point - any explorer moving to either the entrance or exit of a tomb allows them to move to either the main map or the tomb without using extra action points

Replacing a Blank tile on the map with one drawn randomly from the map tiles is one action point

Placing a new Tomb card takes one action point, this can only be placed adjacent to one an explorer is standing on - this does not need to be your own explorer

Placing a map card (either Tomb or Treasure) by placing the associated tile into the map and proving it matches the criteria

If a trap card is drawn in a tomb it can’t be passed unless the tool or equipment required have been placed on it

If a tomb entrance is placed the related card must be placed on the table as the starting point for that tomb - remember to link them by placing the entrance link on it with the same number as the entrance

Using tools or equipment on a trap takes no action points unless specified on the card

Once tools have been placed on a trap they can’t be removed again, it may be worth thinking about if you can bypass a trap your opponents have had to abandon

Remember that once a tomb entrance is placed or a trap bypassed ANY explorer can use them, try to place entrances away from another character or beware that they may steal what you rightfully claim as your own

All maps have multiple squares on them, the only ones that need to match are the named tiles, any blank spaces can be a combination of any other tiles or empty places where tiles haven’t yet been placed

Finding a lost explorer in a dungeon entitles the first player to reach him to draw as many tool cards as is listed on his backpack, after all, he doesn't need them any more

The first player to four relics wins the game, If you use all the tiles before anyone gets 4 relics then reshuffle the tiles and start again in a new location keeping any relics already won

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
Sorry guys

This hasn't been updated in a while due to personal issues - it is still in progress I have basic tiles knocked up and just haven't finished the map cards yet

As I'm currently looking at a new job which involves 3 months of training so it's going to have to work around that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls