Hide
10 Posts

Clank! In! Space!» Forums » General

Subject: Do we need terminal cubes?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Neill
msg tools
Just ordered CiS and can’t wait. It was a toss-up to be honest between this and the original but I have a few fantasy games already and wanted something different . . . Anyway, on to my question. A number of people have said that the length of this game has increased due to the fact that you now have to place cubes on terminals before you can steal the treasure/artifacts - I suppose a way of mitigating the get in/out quick strategy.
If we didn’t enforce this rules (but you could still place a cube to prevent other players from using the same terminal and gaining it’s benefit) would this help speed it up as you'd make the session slightly less restrictive? Any thoughts? Would this help/hinder a quest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmb
This way someone might use hyperlift to grab the artifact in couple of turns without any risk and come back safe.
To speed up the tempo (and add some more fun) play with the app lieutenant first.
Lifting the terminal cubes restriction would wreck the game in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vik Leroy
Switzerland
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We don't find that the length of the game is increased compared to the basis game.
Hacking terminal is a good idea to limit rush, and a good way to have some bonus too. I'm fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Maier
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe hack terminals on the way out? The first to grab an artifact has to hack 2 terminals, everybody else just 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
CiS does take longer than fantasy Clank, but it's time well spent, IMO. I wouldn't change or eliminate the terminal hacking process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend you play the game as is before you make any modifications to the game. The game length may be a bit longer than regular Clank!, but I don't think it is a huge issue. It's not like it takes twice as long on average and just prevents the super fast in and out strategy that some people don't like anyway.

You're going to have to move through the area where there are all of the ports for you to hack anyway. If anything, it makes people take different routes which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Neill
msg tools
Thanks everyone. I love the bgg community
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Farina
Italy
flag msg tools
Clank in Space is designed to awoid something the some players didnt like in the original Clank (rush startegy, easy game, fast, no deep deck building, almonst no trashing). So is linger, deeper and let you manage ypur deck much more.

To speed up you may remove the hacking, but also the teleports and the hyperlift. This way will work similar to the original Clank!

Anyway, as @GeneChiu said, play it "normal" before make home rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Edsell
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I recently bought Clank! Original Recipe, having played (and absolutely loving) Clank! In Space. I think the length and gameplay In Space is pretty spot on and I'm a little concerned now that Original Recipe doesn't have any way of mitigating the "Rush" play. Do any of the Original Recipe expansions/modules add anything in the way to make gameplay more like Clank! In Space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Van Camp
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
angrysalad wrote:
I recently bought Clank! Original Recipe, having played (and absolutely loving) Clank! In Space. I think the length and gameplay In Space is pretty spot on and I'm a little concerned now that Original Recipe doesn't have any way of mitigating the "Rush" play. Do any of the Original Recipe expansions/modules add anything in the way to make gameplay more like Clank! In Space?
A popular way to deal with the blitz strategy is to place the treasures randomly and face down, so players can rush in, but cannot be certain the target is the one they want. Also, the Gold and Silk expansions (silk) makes movement a bit more costly for the first player to move along a route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls