Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Merry Christmas!
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to own this before my wife was into heavier games, traded it at a used game store, then regretted it. Tonight I randomly checked and found it on Amazon for $39.79, when in my experience it has consistently been $51.

A pretty great price for one of the best games ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
msg tools
Link
https://www.amazon.com/GMT-Games-Twilight-Struggle-Deluxe/dp...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For just a nanosecond I thought we were talking about Twilight Imperium.

Pete (almost got excited)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Stuflick
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
plezercruz wrote:
For just a nanosecond I thought we were talking about Twilight Imperium.

Pete (almost got excited)
Same here, I know I would never get it to the table but it would have looked great on my shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
Canada
Metro Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Down to $34.99. I might have to jump on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
msg tools
I bought it at $40 but was not happy when I unboxed it. The board is not cut very well and has jagged edges and the black backing on the board is not properly aligned so it hangs off the edge on one side so I have to trim it myself. There was clearly no quality control. This is now the worst quality game I have ever purchased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick White
United States
Battle Creek
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
save your money and buy it on steam for sale 4 bucks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith R
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JAGame wrote:
I bought it at $40 but was not happy when I unboxed it. The board is not cut very well and has jagged edges and the black backing on the board is not properly aligned so it hangs off the edge on one side so I have to trim it myself. There was clearly no quality control. This is now the worst quality game I have ever purchased.
I don't own this so I wish I could say that's normal or not, but I'm wondering if your got a bad counterfeit copy

Did you get it on Amazon? If so I'd complete a return request. They will cover shipping back to you and send one out asap. If nothing else you could compare the new copy to prior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Simpson
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfthatwonders wrote:
This. The game is a good game... even maybe a great game. But... it is not a game to enjoy with a newbie. You both better be experienced, or it is simply a crushing defeat for the newb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith R
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfthatwonders wrote:
I just looked on steam, it is $9.99 currently. Are you saying wait for it to come on sale sometime? Or is there a way to get it for $4 currently?

I have been wanting to try this game for a few years actually. will be watching for the sale!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heidi S.
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Steam lunar sale ended this morning. You can still buy it for $6 for the next 5 hours on Fanatical.

If you add it to your steam wish list, they'll send you an email when it goes on discount. Otherwise the next Steam sale will be the big summer sale, likely late in June.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith R
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. One more question if I can. Sorry for the ignorance

My oldest son is freshman in college a few hours away. If I bought this and wanted to play one on one with him, dues he also need to buy his own copy? I'm guessing yes but just curious

And I'm not looking to skirt something I shouldn't be doing. I am just wondering if I buy the game is it one license per person etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heidi S.
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Honestly I don't know. I was seriously considering buying it but passed, which is why I know so much about the sale.

I would think that yes, both of you would need to own it since you're playing remotely. If you were in the same house, I don't know if the game support pass & play with one copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith R
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet you are right.
I have civ v on steam and it has pass and play multi player but that's under one steam account

I'll look into it, I might miss this sale but there will be more in sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The iPad version of the app supports family sharing, so you could share it that way if you both have an iPad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B

California
msg tools
mb
Down to $35 now, such an excellent price!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
msg tools
So based on someones suggestion, I went ahead and ordered a replacement for the game since my first copy had quality issues. The second arrived a few minutes ago and again, more issues just with different components this time. The board itself is OK, it appears to have been dropped on the corner so that sucks but at least the front and back are aligned on the board properly. The edges of the board are still half cut, half broken so they are very jagged like the first copy. Here is the real issue with the replacement copy, game tokens are misprinted... really bad misprinted:

Clearly there is no quality control taking place.

I think between the two, I can get a decent quality game that is worth the discounted price. I will certainly not buy another GMT game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JAGame wrote:
I will certainly not buy another GMT game.
I would give GMT a chance to make this right. I am sure they would be happy to replace something that is clearly not right. Most to all the publishers I have dealt with where very accommodating.

GMT Games

Click on the live chat on the upper right corner.

I have many games from GMT and I would hope that you give them a chance to make it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
msg tools
So this was two copies of the same game and both have issues. I did contact GMT and we'll see what they do but honestly, this games components are very simple. It's two sheets of cardboard, a couple of decks of cards and a board. The directions are printed on very cheap paper as well. I don't expect much from a $40 game which is what I paid but given that the entire game is paper based, that's some pretty simple manufacturing from a single source. If they can't get that right, then there is no reason to consider anything else they offer... again, this is just my opinion and I'll choose to spend my money elsewhere. There are too many great games out there to waste time on stuff like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JAGame wrote:
So this was two copies of the same game and both have issues. I did contact GMT and we'll see what they do but honestly, this games components are very simple. It's two sheets of cardboard, a couple of decks of cards and a board. The directions are printed on very cheap paper as well. I don't expect much from a $40 game which is what I paid but given that the entire game is paper based, that's some pretty simple manufacturing from a single source. If they can't get that right, then there is no reason to consider anything else they offer... again, this is just my opinion and I'll choose to spend my money elsewhere. There are too many great games out there to waste time on stuff like this.
Where did you buy it from? It's a possibility you got a counterfeit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TB
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My copy from GMT is flawless. I have many of their games and the quality is top notch. I wonder too if this is a counterfeit copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith R
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Counterfeit was the first thing I thought of as well as I noted above.

here is what I would do

1) contact GMT directly.

2) Watch 1-2 unboxing videos of the game and see if the components look the same.

here are a few:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hubwPJsCMFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y5l1Dg16Mc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
msg tools
I have to say that I really don't believe these are counterfeit copies. This game is pretty old now and has a lot of market saturation. If it was a newer game that was just released then I might agree that was possible but this game is over 10 years old. So I'm not buying the counterfeiting idea.

I have contacted GMT and have not heard back from them yet. I game them a link to this thread in my email to them as well, in case they were interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JAGame wrote:
I have to say that I really don't believe these are counterfeit copies. This game is pretty old now and has a lot of market saturation. If it was a newer game that was just released then I might agree that was possible but this game is over 10 years old. So I'm not buying the counterfeiting idea.

I have contacted GMT and have not heard back from them yet. I game them a link to this thread in my email to them as well, in case they were interested.
It was the #1 rated game on BGG for a while in the relatively recent past. That would make it a target for counterfeiters.

Catan and Ticket to Ride: Europe are examples of game that have been counterfeited recently. They are both "pretty old."

If you have copies that are of much poorer quality than that reported by other owners, counterfeit seems like a distinct possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
msg tools
Just an FYI for others that may read this. I haven't heard back from GMT regarding the issues I have with the quality of the game. Between the two copies I received, I can make one copy that is acceptable so I'll send back all the bad components in one box. I'm still not convinced these are counterfeit. I believe this was just a bad batch that got rushed through the sweat shop in China. If anyone else ordered one of the copies from this deal, I'd like to hear your thoughts. As for me, I'm still of the opinion that I'll just stay away from GMT at this time. There are just to many games out there to waste my time with these issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls