Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » ACT (Canberra)

Subject: GLOG Saturday 9 February 2019 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The next session of the Gungahlin Library Open Games (GLOG) is on Saturday 9 February.

What: to play board/tile/card/dice games
Where: Gungahlin Library, corner of Hibberson St and Gozzard St.
Time: 10:15 am to 4:00 pm unless otherwise advised.
Room: Conference Room 1

This is a free event, just come along with a smile, and any of your favourite board games.

The booking is for Conference room #1. This room is located on the lower level right side downstairs of the main library entry. There is no restriction of food on the venue, but I encourage everyone to keep the venue tidy and be careful while playing other people’s games.

Please make sure ask around and locate the owner of a game you would like to play and to pack the games you play to the same condition you found them. Any games and personal belongings left at the end of the day will be handed to the 'Lost and Found' desk of the Library.

As always, a quick reminder that young players need to be under parental supervision at all times.

See you There!
meeple

Scheduled dates for 2019:

Saturday 12 January
Saturday 9 February
Saturday 9 March
Saturday 13 April
Saturday 11 May
Saturday 8 June
Second half of 2019 TBA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio Zambon
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Live long and prosper
mbmbmbmbmb
I will bring (you guessd it!) Luxor, but also Arkadia (another Euro game by Rüdiger Dorn), Trains, and my own improved implementation of Streetcar.

Ciao, Giulio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul L
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be bring Lords of Hellas... can't get enough of that game!

Will probably also bring Concordia and whatever else randomness jumps out at me. But definitely LoH laugh

Edit: maybe I'll bring Hyperborea and Scythe... go for an epic trifecta of weird hybrid dudes on maps games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul L
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THe arrival of Great Western Trail and Feast for Odin expansions might have changed my plans about what to bring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lilian K
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if Crokinole is still a possiblility, Rich/Awais?

Would be great to compare the boards. Got a quote from Muzzies and it was $350 CAD (just for shipping!!) shake Pretty steep, so wondering if it’s worth it...

No problem if not though as I know they’re not the easiest things to lug around...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Alexander
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
beef
badge
sack
mbmbmbmbmb
capitalgamer wrote:
Would be great to compare the boards. Got a quote from Muzzies and it was $350 CAD (just for shipping!!) shake Pretty steep, so wondering if it’s worth it..
Yeah I've been trying to track down a championship quality board, I've been quoted $600CAD shipping from other places Our current board has had over 5000 plays though, so even at that price it's not terrible value for us, but I just can't bring myself to do it yet.

Since Willard closed down, I believe Traceys are doing the championship boards now: https://www.crokinolegameboards.com/ - from memory I think shipping was the same though but you might be interested to check them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard :
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capitalgamer wrote:
Not sure if Crokinole is still a possiblility, Rich/Awais?

No problem if not though as I know they’re not the easiest things to lug around...
Sure I can bring it; I have a carry bag, and besides, the car carries it most of the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lilian K
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beefsack wrote:
capitalgamer wrote:
Would be great to compare the boards. Got a quote from Muzzies and it was $350 CAD (just for shipping!!) shake Pretty steep, so wondering if it’s worth it..
Yeah I've been trying to track down a championship quality board, I've been quoted $600CAD shipping from other places Our current board has had over 5000 plays though, so even at that price it's not terrible value for us, but I just can't bring myself to do it yet.

Since Willard closed down, I believe Traceys are doing the championship boards now: https://www.crokinolegameboards.com/ - from memory I think shipping was the same though but you might be interested to check them out.
Wow, $600CAD?? Makes Muzzies seem reasonable then laugh I’m actually heading to the US later this year, so it might even be feasible to bring it back myself...cheaper option perhaps but I have no idea about flight restrictions and customs etc. Will have to look into it further...

Thank you for suggesting Traceys. I haven’t heard of them before but I just had a quick look on their website. Looks like they don’t ship outside of the US and Canada unfortunately It’s disappointing Willard closed, they made gorgeous boards.

If you don’t mind me asking, what type of board are you currently using? Mayday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lilian K
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the bilge rat wrote:
Sure I can bring it; I have a carry bag, and besides, the car carries it most of the way.
True. But thank you Rich, appreciate it nonetheless! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio Zambon
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Live long and prosper
mbmbmbmbmb
capitalgamer wrote:
beefsack wrote:
capitalgamer wrote:

Wow, $600CAD?? Makes Muzzies seem reasonable then laugh I’m actually heading to the US later this year, so it might even be feasible to bring it back myself...cheaper option perhaps but I have no idea about flight restrictions and customs etc. Will have to look into it further...

Thank you for suggesting Traceys. I haven’t heard of them before but I just had a quick look on their website. Looks like they don’t ship outside of the US and Canada unfortunately It’s disappointing Willard closed, they made gorgeous boards.

If you don’t mind me asking, what type of board are you currently using? Mayday?
You mention flight restrictions and customs, but don't forget to declare it as a wooden item for quarantine reasons. I came back from Essen with wooden games and the quarantine officers let them through without any problem because the games were made of treated/polished wood. But they told me that if they had discovered the games without me declaring them, it would have not gone as smoothly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Loades
Australia
Queanbeyan
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm interested in playing Suburbia before the KS campaign ends in ~4 days. Would anyone be willing to bring, teach and play it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lilian K
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually declare everything but it’s a good reminder. Thanks Giulio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lilian, did you like Crockinole? Next time I’ll bring JamSummo if you haven’t tried for you to compare. Easier to carry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul L
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would've brought it if I'd seen this, sorry Sean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Norrish
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a good (brief!) time, playing Spectaculum and Glux, both of which were good fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Alexander
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
beef
badge
sack
mbmbmbmbmb
capitalgamer wrote:
Yep, a Mayday, and it came incredibly uneven unfortunately - can't complain about the price, but we've gotten pretty decent at the game and the uneven surface is a bit annoying.

Mine's had a sanding back and layers of polyurethane which has helped a little bit, and we've settled on Mespi powder after trying a whole range of speed powders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lilian K
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amiguero wrote:
Lilian, did you like Crockinole? Next time I’ll bring JamSummo if you haven’t tried for you to compare. Easier to carry
Crokinole was a lot of fun! Very addictive. Would be up for a game anytime. Thanks Rich and Awais for both bringing your boards to try.

And yes Rene, I have JamSummo as well but I haven't had a chance to try a full game yet... Must have a proper go next GLOG if you're up for a challenge!

Another great GLOG. Played Skull King: Das Würfelspiel , Criss Cross (both were light but very enjoyable), and a marathon 4 hour (still unfinished!), 6-player game of Viticulture Essential Edition + all expansions... laughlaughlaugh Thanks for bringing the game Paul, was great to get a taste of the expansion as I found base to be a bit bland...

P.S. If anyone has a copy of Criss Cross they'd like to part with, i'm more than happy to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lilian K
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beefsack wrote:
capitalgamer wrote:
Yep, a Mayday, and it came incredibly uneven unfortunately - can't complain about the price, but we've gotten pretty decent at the game and the uneven surface is a bit annoying.

Mine's had a sanding back and layers of polyurethane which has helped a little bit, and we've settled on Mespi powder after trying a whole range of speed powders.
5000 plays out of it isn't bad at all...

I probably have to get one that needs no TLC though as being handy is not one of my strengths If importing a board doesn't work out, might consider PitchCar instead. A lot cheaper at least. Or just play my copy of JamSumo !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Loades
Australia
Queanbeyan
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AztecTwoStep wrote:
Would've brought it if I'd seen this, sorry Sean.
No worries, Paul. Thanks for (re)teaching Terra Mystica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Alexander
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
beef
badge
sack
mbmbmbmbmb
capitalgamer wrote:
beefsack wrote:
capitalgamer wrote:

5000 plays out of it isn't bad at all...

I probably have to get one that needs no TLC though as being handy is not one of my strengths If importing a board doesn't work out, might consider PitchCar instead. A lot cheaper at least. Or just play my copy of JamSumo !
Got PitchCar too, definitely scratches a similar itch to Crok! We have the Crokinole board permanently set up at work hence the huge number of plays, but the PitchCar track gets set up some Friday arvos too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lilian K
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beefsack wrote:
Got PitchCar too, definitely scratches a similar itch to Crok! We have the Crokinole board permanently set up at work hence the huge number of plays, but the PitchCar track gets set up some Friday arvos too.
What a great workplace you have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Vieu
United States
Woodridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BloodyMe wrote:
capitalgamer wrote:
beefsack wrote:
capitalgamer wrote:

You mention flight restrictions and customs, but don't forget to declare it as a wooden item for quarantine reasons. I came back from Essen with wooden games and the quarantine officers let them through without any problem because the games were made of treated/polished wood. But they told me that if they had discovered the games without me declaring them, it would have not gone as smoothly.
Tracey will ship worldwide. He was mentored by Willard and lives just minutes away from Mr. Willard Martin. I have both a Willard and a Tracey. You cannot go wrong with a Tracey its the continuation of the best boards in the world. If you have any other questions you can email the owner/operator from the website. He is a great guy and very good with communication. These are the best boards in the world, its worth a quote on shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls