10 Posts

Xia: Missions and Powers» Forums » Rules

Subject: ship powers are optional, right? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robert murray
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
the way some of the card texts are written doesn't suggest that the power is always a choice, some use the word "may", while others seem more of a statement.

I'm assuming that use of the powers is at the players discretion right?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All ship abilities are optional. The only slight exception is Exodus/Void Wasp. You must have the RK5 blaster on your ship, but you don't have to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fimbar11 wrote:
the way some of the card texts are written doesn't suggest that the power is always a choice, some use the word "may", while others seem more of a statement.

Thanks!
Do you care to give a specific situation where you think this would make a difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Banks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
fimbar11 wrote:

Thanks!
I kind of get what you mean - like does crypto lance for example mean you have to always use that ability whenever you enter a shield, or could you (for some reason) choose to not use it? Its hard to imagine a circumstance when you wouldn't want to use the ability, so does need some context.

But my interpretation would be if it doesn't say 'may' then you have to use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexthebanks wrote:
fimbar11 wrote:
But my interpretation would be if it doesn't say 'may' then you have to use it.
Correct. The ship abilities in Missions and Powers are always on. If they require an action or have the word “may” then you can choose whether or not to use them. Otherwise, they are mandatory and you must use them.

A few examples I can think of:
Swamp Rat with VRX-Heatsink and damage on engines doing a ramming attack. Maybe you wouldn’t want to give a bonus to your engine roll, but you must.

Gaiden with Scarlite Hull, taking 15 combat damage, must reduce it by 3, leaving it at 12 damage, crippled but not destroyed.

Gaiden with Scarlite Hull with a lot of damage including ice damage, might prefer to have the ice damage spread and self-destruct the ship in the Status phase, but ice doesn't spread for Scarlite.

In general, this isn't a big drawback, and 98% of the time you're going to want the powers on. For rules simplicity and thematic reasons, it seemed better to me to make some powers always-on, which can also lead to some corner-case sad/funny situations.

As always, if you don't like it, feel free to house rule! Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert murray
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

Thanks Ira, that clears things up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An Example:

SWAMP RAT - Over-Surge
Place one damage marker on an outfit....

with GAIDEN Scar-Lite Hull - When you would take damage, reduce the damage by 1...

As far as I can see, I'm now unable to use my first ship's ability because the damage marker never makes it onto my ship's outfit. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrmer1in wrote:
An Example:

SWAMP RAT - Over-Surge
Place on damage marker on an outfit....

with GAIDEN Scar-Lite Hull - When you would take damage, reduce the damage by 1...

As far as I can see, I'm now unable to use my first ship's ability soblue
Either the Gaiden's ability makes the Swamp Rat's not result in damage, in which case congrats, or Swamp Rat's placing a damage marker doesn't count as taking damage so you still do it. Either way you can use both together, but it would be good to get an official ruling which one is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
mrmer1in wrote:
An Example:

SWAMP RAT - Over-Surge
Place on damage marker on an outfit....

As far as I can see, I'm now unable to use my first ship's ability soblue
Either the Gaiden's ability makes the Swamp Rat's not result in damage, in which case congrats, or Swamp Rat's placing a damage marker doesn't count as taking damage so you still do it. Either way you can use both together, but it would be good to get an official ruling which one is correct.
Gaiden is about taking 1 less non-combat damage and 3 less combat damage.

Swamp Rat doesn't really describe it as taking damage. It says to place one damage marker. I see these as distinctly different (and the only thing that really makes sense).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aneurism
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Swamp Rat - Oversurge (Place one damage marker anywhere on an outfit. You may then immediately use that outfit as if you had placed an armed marker on a use space)

Gaiden’s Scar-Lite Hull (take 1 less damage from non-combat damage or 3 less from combat damage, plus repair damage in business phase for free)

1. If taking the wording exactly as is expressed on the card, then Gaiden's Scar-Lite Hull would probably block off swamp rat. Because you are prevented from placing the damage marker, therefore the next action cannot occur.

In this interpretation no extra turn can take place because the abilities cancel themselves out.

2. However, if you look at it thematically, it would seem that oversurge is about stressing your components to push it beyond the boundaries of what it would normally do, thereby damaging it in the process..
Gaiden actively prevents damage.. And if you interpret it like that thematically , it means you are already doing the extra action and there for have already done it and Gaiden's ability prevents long term damage from the stress..

Therefore: action can occur with no damage applied.

I initially took the stance of point 1..
However, after some thinking about some more I'm more leaning towards Point 2 as being the intended interpretation..

Hopefully @ira212 is kind enough to clarify at some point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls