Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Idea for Legacy Monopoly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So here’s the idea... on each play of the game you steal or destroy one part of the game. Sooner or later you won’t have to play Monopoly anymore!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Walker
United Kingdom
HANTS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly either has to stop being sold, and for the people who cling to it to develop a taste for other games

Or it needs to be overhauled, I am in the process of making a PnP Fallout Monopoly inspired by redditor xSimonBelmontx

My rule these days is "Can I see myself playing this in 20 years?"

If the answer is no, then I stay clear of it. Trying to get that message across to my daughter is another story

But I do like your idea, I suggest starting with the Brown streets first
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Since any Monopoly game is already long enough to rival legacy games and makes a lasting impact on those that play, would this not be a legacy legacy game then? Legaception?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis McCown
United States
Uniontown
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alixian wrote:
Monopoly either has to stop being sold, and for the people who cling to it to develop a taste for other games
Seems like a bad idea for a product that had that has sold 250000000 copies. Granted this community doesn't like it because it isn't cool enough, but there are people who buy it, and that's really all that matters.

It's like you saying McDonald's should shut down because they dont make the best hamburger. I think they are fine with their piece of the market.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Baker
msg tools
I like big games and I cannot lie
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I dOn'T lIkE ThIs GaMe So I DoN't WaNt OtHeRs To EnJoY iT EiThEr!! ShAMe On YoU fOr HaViNg DiFfErEnT tAsTe.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Walker
United Kingdom
HANTS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Travdaddy11 wrote:
Alixian wrote:
Monopoly either has to stop being sold, and for the people who cling to it to develop a taste for other games
Seems like a bad idea for a product that had that has sold 250000000 copies. Granted this community doesn't like it because it isn't cool enough, but there are people who buy it, and that's really all that matters.

It's like you saying McDonald's should shut down because they dont make the best hamburger. I think they are fine with their piece of the market.
It's not that Monopoly isn't cool enough, it's that it is used an an introduction to board games for many people, and most of those people will usually only move onto board games that are usually found in the pages of an Argos catalogue (Argos online (at least I think they're online, it could just be coming soon thing) however seem to be making up for decades of board game blindness with the inclusion of games you would see in an LGS)

My wife defends Monopoly like it's a child whenever I say anything bad about it.

I just think the game as a whole is outdated, and there are so many versions that are just vain attempts to polish a turd "Oh I heard you like X so here's that version of Monopoly."

Yes they introduced things like Monopoly Gamer and Cheater (or whatever it's called) plus a big box Monopoly with more streets to buy, at the end of the day it is still Monopoly, a game that is so old it needs to retire to a nice Old Games Retirement home and spend the rest of it's days yelling at the TV telling young board games that they need haircuts.

Monopoly has had it's day, it's time to stop flogging the dead horse and move on.

My frustrations with this game stem from the fact as a child I poured countless hours into this game playing it on my own. My family at the time would only play at Christmas. My brothers were a little too immature for this game and preferred to play Pop Up Pirate. When I ask my kids (or my wife) if they want to play a game it's Monopoly that get's brought out before anything else. There are so many better games in the house and in the world, why pick that one?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate T
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Travdaddy11 wrote:
Granted this community doesn't like it because it isn't cool enough, but there are people who buy it, and that's really all that matters.
Or it is just a bad game that most people happen to think of when one says “board games”. Why would people who are passionate about this hobby not like it then? Who knows?!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stickers to replace and add various rules would help
Add new components hidden in legacy boxes

Eventually it could be a great game.
The ability to get multiple pieces, counterbalanced by the fact you need to feed them when you pass Go.
Resource tokens like wood, stone and sheep, which you need to gather to build your houses and hotels.
You can select from your movement resource cards to progress round the board rather than use dice.
Of course you’ll need a victory point track.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Walker
United Kingdom
HANTS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I even admit my own PnP version will not make Monopoly a fun and exciting game, but it will make it tolerable in my eyes
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You know it's bad when there is an actual short movie dystopia based around a family who plays a legacy monopoly

"Jeu de société", 20minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwK9glIxIoo

French with subtitles in English, German, Italian, Spanish and Portugese

(By the way, the video is really, really awesome)
5 
 Thumb up
6.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly bashing is okay, people do it all the time to Kingdom Death Monster. Besides, who's listening anyway?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Baker
msg tools
I like big games and I cannot lie
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Monopoly bashing is okay, people do it all the time to Kingdom Death Monster. Besides, who's listening anyway?
Now I want to know what's wrong with Kingdom Death Monster.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thesixtdoctor wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Monopoly bashing is okay, people do it all the time to Kingdom Death Monster Kingdom Builder. Besides, who's listening anyway?
Now I want to know what's wrong with Kingdom Death Monster.
Better?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Thunkd needs to add "Hey everyone, Monopoly sucks" to his "recurring threads" geeklist.

Pete (thinks there's at least one such thread every other month or so)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Perhaps Thunkd needs to add "Hey everyone, Monopoly sucks" to his "recurring threads" geeklist.

Pete (thinks there's at least one such thread every other month or so)
OH, NO YOU DIDN'T GO THERE!!!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Baker
msg tools
I like big games and I cannot lie
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Even Tom Vasel bashes Monopoly. My conclusion is that bashing Monopoly isn't hip anymore.

I am all in in bashing the new big game.
Gloomhaven is stupid.
It takes long, it's too d&dish, I don't own it...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Thunkd wrote:
So here’s the idea... on each play of the game you steal or destroy one part of the game. Sooner or later you won’t have to play Monopoly anymore!
What's Monopoly? Sounds like it's a bad game. I don't have room in my brain or time in my life for bad games.

~V
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Walker
United Kingdom
HANTS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thesixtdoctor wrote:
Even Tom Vasel bashes Monopoly. My conclusion is that bashing Monopoly isn't hip anymore.

I am all in in bashing the new big game.
Gloomhaven is stupid.
It takes long, it's too d&dish, I don't own it...
I can barely gather enough players to play a game of Pandemic or Fallout, the times I've sat at my dining table playing with myself board games by myself

Would like to see Gloomhaven in action
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legacy ideas (to go.back to the original post)

Parole after getting out of jail

Changing rates of tax based on income

Different decks of Chance and Opportunity cards for each game

Escalating technology for Water Works.and Electric Company

Escalating technology for the Railroads, including government participation)

Choices relating to high volume, low profit housing

Gerrymandering (grouping of properties not based on board geography)
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Perhaps Thunkd needs to add "Hey everyone, Monopoly sucks" to his "recurring threads" geeklist.

Pete (thinks there's at least one such thread every other month or so)
Maybe Pete needs to check if it’s already there:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/239939/item/6075681#item6...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Blackford
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
So here’s the idea... on each play of the game you steal or destroy one part of the game. Sooner or later you won’t have to play Monopoly anymore!
You joke but you can totally do that. Each player takes out a house and puts a sticker on a property, that property permanently has a house for each sticker. Or winner only if you think there's any chance you play that many times.

Could even do something sillier like everyone takes one of the CC/Chance cards at random and then decides what space will permanently have that effect by taping it down in front of the space.

Or combine the two and remove that property from the game replacing it with the Chance card. So you could end up with groups where it's easier to get the monopoly but less spaces to profit from. I'd probably decide that remaining railroads/utilities use the cost as if the missing one is owned by the one landed on, to keep them more expensive.

Probably some way to destroy/remove the other components too but nothing sounds good to me at the moment.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
GS in KS wrote:
Legacy ideas (to go.back to the original post)

Parole after getting out of jail

Changing rates of tax based on income

Different decks of Chance and Opportunity cards for each game

Escalating technology for Water Works.and Electric Company

Escalating technology for the Railroads, including government participation)

Choices relating to high volume, low profit housing

Gerrymandering (grouping of properties not based on board geography)
Some interesting ideas. I've recently watched some youtubers play Monopoly and I wondered a bit about what it would take to modernize the game. I personally don't like the game, but it does have some interesting mechanics that could probably use a facelift in one way or another to make a more enjoyable game out of it. I'd be willing to give a newer version a spin if it was more than just a gimmick added to it.

Alixian wrote:
...it's time to stop flogging the dead horse and move on.
How ironic...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Price updates. Every time a property is sold at auction, the price it sells for becomes the new face value.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:
Price updates. Every time a property is sold at auction, the price it sells for becomes the new face value.
And this in turn directly influences surrounding properties. By getting a great deal on a property, you lower property values in the area and your competition can scoop them up. Neighborhoods could go through periods of decline and gentrification.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Socialism will win.
badge
Space Cabby!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The winner of the previous game starts the next game in the role of that character's child and inherits all of that character's winnings.

Repeat until there's no money left because one person has it all.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |