Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Fish
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize it's a long shot, but can't hurt to ask, right?

Is there any chance of a different pledge tier being possible that gives access to the full game, just with standees instead of minis? I'd love to be able to shave $100 of the price and sub out some minis that don't mean anything to me anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would put my money on "not gonna happen"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fish
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, but I'm just really tired of games that look like they could be fun getting bloated costs because of minis. Everything has to have minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steffan kristensen
Denmark
Esbjerg
flag msg tools
mbmb
KingOfF00LS wrote:
I know, but I'm just really tired of games that look like they could be fun getting bloated costs because of minis. Everything has to have minis.
Like it or not, minis sell and standees don't.

Heroes of land air and sea had a standee pledge, but they relaunched as a mini only game, because the standee version had 0 interest.

Mezo relaunched because people moaned about the price, and wanted a cheaper standee version. The standee version was roughly 4% of all money pledged. Meaning almost all of the money came from the mini version, in spite of people asking for the standee version.

Until a standee version actually proves to be financially viable, I think they will be a rarity on KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Could you guys at Porsche make me a Porsche, but without the engine, leather seats, or other fancy bits, so I can better afford it and drive it around?"

Seriously though: hate the minis? Buy the game, make tokens, and sell the minis on eBay or something. I'm betting you could recoup some of the costs that way. Not -all- of the costs, because Petersen Games tends to use thick stock for their boards and tokens, custom dice, and other things that have cost, but still. The main problem you'll have though, is that the factions of Hyperspace don't have the same familiarity as those in Cthulhu Wars (i.e. it'll be harder to find buyers for Hyperspace minis than fans of Nyarlathotep for example).

And because it bears repeating: the game isn't that expensive in comparison to other games when you compare core game price to core game price or expansions to expansions. The "bloat" of the cost comes down to smaller print runs and higher development times (i.e. they actually playtest the thing more than once with one group). Go price Star Trek Ascendancy (the closest gameplay comparison to Hyperspace IMO) and see what expansions you can get for $10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ssk0909 wrote:
KingOfF00LS wrote:
Like it or not, minis sell and standees don't.

Heroes of land air and sea had a standee pledge, but they relaunched as a mini only game, because the standee version had 0 interest.

Mezo relaunched because people moaned about the price, and wanted a cheaper standee version. The standee version was roughly 4% of all money pledged. Meaning almost all of the money came from the mini version, in spite of people asking for the standee version.

Until a standee version actually proves to be financially viable, I think they will be a rarity on KS.
Everything Epic released Metal Dawn and Secrets of the Lost Station as Standee games. Dead of Winter is another Standee heavy game. Tsukuyumi (sp?) has a lot of folk wanting standees.

I think the trick though is that standees need to 1) look good, and/or 2) serve a valid mechanical purpose (e.g. Metal Dawn and Tsukuyumi).

But even when there's a standee option, you'll have folk clamoring for minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the same time something like Gloomhaven was only possible because of standees (imagine the costs and logistics on both sides for a box that rich otherwise), same for other sprawling games like Tsukuyumi(though I do realise that one is a tad more obscure). I think it's quite unfounded and counter to the evidence that we have to claim that standees aren't financially viable, they clearly can work and sometimes they are much more functional than any alternative.

That said, given that Petersen games has already made sizable investments with regards to making the minis, the addition of standees at this point would definitely be trickier with regards to costs and gains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Lamprey
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You will die screaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are also talking about Petersen Games here... they are sort of known for some of their minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Digmecolder wrote:
We are also talking about Oetersen Games here... they are sort of known for some of their minis.

Exactly. Big premium minis is their thing.

People have been asking for Cthulhu Wars standees for years, and Sandy says "No" because he knows it would diminish the game's table presence and not be worth it just to satisfy the small handful of people who'd like a cheaper version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Stefanik
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also, the Base Game is only $69. That is ridiculously cheap for the amount of stuff packed into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Claessens

Washington
msg tools
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
Digmecolder wrote:
We are also talking about Oetersen Games here... they are sort of known for some of their minis.

Exactly. Big premium minis is their thing.

People have been asking for Cthulhu Wars standees for years, and Sandy says "No" because he knows it would diminish the game's table presence and not be worth it just to satisfy the small handful of people who'd like a cheaper version.
I agree with the general feeling of the post that it will likely not happen in this campaign. It is too late, the train has left the station already

But the question is still a valid one, IMHO.

Not all boardgamers fancy impressive minis (and I understand that these people may not be the target audience for this KS campaign).

Not all boardgamers can afford $300+ games (which may not be a consideration for this edition of the game).

Not all boardgamers would be ready to spend $300+ on a single game even if they could (for that amount of money you could get online the bgg top 5 games).

But, all boardgamers want and buy great board games. And, this one seems to be great and fun

I just wonder how many more games could be sold in non deluxe/collector edition, knowing that this kind of theme/type of game is very popular and attractive in itself. In retail it would probably be many more than a handful in my opinion. A lot of games coexist apparently successfully in both premium and standard editions.

Just going along with the discussion here I hope nobody will feel upset or offended.

[edit: added missing word]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingOfF00LS wrote:

Is there any chance of a different pledge tier being possible that gives access to the full game, just with standees instead of minis? I'd love to be able to shave $100 of the price and sub out some minis that don't mean anything to me anyway.
I can understand where you're coming from for sure. I asked the same thing from Kingdom Death and got a very firm "no".

I think the difference here is that Hyperspace fits into the middle category. There aren't standees but they aren't the massive resin figures from other games either.

Furthermore, they aren't the same scale as Cthulhu Wars, The God's War, and Planet Apocalypse. Hyperspace is definitely the "scaled down" version of a PG game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gabbert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BigScottS wrote:
Also, the Base Game is only $69. That is ridiculously cheap for the amount of stuff packed into the game.
Exactly. If $300 is too much (it certainly is for me) then go for either of the two lowest tiers. You'll still get plenty of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fish
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Dee Jota wrote:
"Could you guys at Porsche make me a Porsche, but without the engine, leather seats, or other fancy bits, so I can better afford it and drive it around?"
Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking for. Well spotted.

EDIT:

And to respond to other comments, I'm not saying I can't buy the game. To be honest, I am currently pledged at the $300 level, but have been wavering on it because although I want to play the game it just is annoying to have to spend so much money on minis that are meaningless.

I know I still have two weeks to decide. A big part of the problem is I have no way of knowing which factions are must-haves and which aren't great. I'd like to be able to just get the $69 one and just add a few great factions to the game (I really don't need 25), the problem is I would have no way of figuring out which few would be worth adding onto a core pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many factions are you wanting? I'd be happy to list my favorites from all the playtests I've been in, and I'm sure others can chime in as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmb
KingOfF00LS wrote:
San Dee Jota wrote:
Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking for. Well spotted.

EDIT:

And to respond to other comments, I'm not saying I can't buy the game. To be honest, I am currently pledged at the $300 level, but have been wavering on it because although I want to play the game it just is annoying to have to spend so much money on minis that are meaningless.

I know I still have two weeks to decide. A big part of the problem is I have no way of knowing which factions are must-haves and which aren't great. I'd like to be able to just get the $69 one and just add a few great factions to the game (I really don't need 25), the problem is I would have no way of figuring out which few would be worth adding onto a core pledge.
Yeah, I think your request was misheard by a few folks; sorry about the reception you got. I'm a huge, huge fan of Cthulhu Wars and have almost all of the Petersen Games products. I don't buy the games for the minis, though; I am sure they mean less to me than others. I'm a gameplay guy, guy, too. The gameplay is the Porsche engine for me. I would buy the game - and at the current price - with standees instead of minis. I think we are in the minority, though, and I accept that. I bet you could unload the minis if you wouldn't mind making standee proxies; I'm just too lazy to do that myself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fish
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
How many factions are you wanting? I'd be happy to list my favorites from all the playtests I've been in, and I'm sure others can chime in as well.
I hadn't really picked a number, maybe 6 or 8 seems like a good amount of variety.

From what I'm hearing certain factions are also better with fewer players and others are better with a full house. If you can offer any opinion on that I would be appreciative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Lamprey
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You will die screaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do understand not being into minis or having to pay a premium because of them.

In the subject of Kingdom Death. No, they are a miniatures company and Monster was a board game they created to suit their miniatures... so a miniatureless version is unlikely. However, selling those minis will get you some decent money recouped.

I don’t know if this helps or not but, Sandy Petersen did a Q&A on FB live and explained that the retail plans for Hyperspace would be to get the core box to market. All additional civs would probably not be available at the same time but they would cherry pick certain ones to bring into the market and make them available. When that run sells out, they would pick a few more and sitribute those. So it does seem they have a plan to make them available afterwards and your upfront costs would not be so hefty. Although, you may have to do chase some things down if they become scarce.

I know it’s not as cheap as standees but it is something to consider if you don’t want to pay the all In amount now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my top 8:
- Automata are very flexible and resilient. Their super unit can use unresearched techs, which is really cool.
- Collectors are fun to roleplay, grabbing all the different unit types.
- Daldath smash systems, and usually end up scaring the other factions into uniting against them. Great villains.
- Mendeku are scary and efficient, but have a very limited early game. Other players should be mindful of accidentally teaching the bugs how to Battle, at least until they're ready to suffer the consequences
- Starspawn have been fun in every iteration. Plus, Cthulhu!
- Urumak are big stompy space dinos! Very cumbersome and fearsome, my favorite faction
- Zepzeg are a great beginner faction, since they get a certain amount of stuff automatically, and other players want to cozy up to you.
- ??? are a really fun and interesting faction, but I'm not allowed to say more until they're officially revealed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
Penny of king Sigtrygg II Silkbeard of Dublin
mbmbmbmbmb
There’s going to be no meaningful cost saving to Petersen Games in producing a version of the game with standees instead of minis, so the fair price of a full set with standees would probably still be about $299. Could be more.

What might make it viable would be if the OP was enthusiastic about paying $100 more for a full standee set, and could find a few hundred others interested in the same deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingOfF00LS wrote:

Don't forget you can order just the base game and a few extra Civ's and still keep the "games" cost at $100. Of course if you plan to play 5 or 6 the costs go up but TI4 and Eclipse second edition are showing 6 player space games with miniatures are $150 affairs these days.

You don't have to go all in at $300 it is definitely the way best deal but looking at how games like Arkham Horror the card game or Dominion cost for "all in" it still seems like a really good deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Elliker
Switzerland
flag msg tools
As I have pointed out in the thread about the KS being bloated, the one thing one could reasonably 're-think' are the civilization specific sculpts by replacing them with generic ones, i.e. only have generic units for each color and no civ specific sculpts. Removing them would perhaps cut down on the costs for the production a bit (i.e. 48 sculpts and all the rings for each color). However, the really costly part of the game is likely the development time which remains the same.

But I doubt SP will do anything like that. Seeing his reaction to smaller minis in CW, I doubt he would want to change anythjng about this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Civilization spesific sculpts are more immersive than just generic sculpts. I like it how you can see from the citizen sculpts what your civ population looks like and what the most important SuperShips look like.

How would you even rep the SuperShips with 1 generic sculpt as the SuperShip can actually be SuperCitizen, SuperColony or SuperSpaceStation depending on the Civ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Watson
Australia
Galston
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that it wouldn't be cheaper.

Once Petersen has the moulds (the expensive part), the minis are cheaper to make than the standees would be (including designing the standees, hassle of two versions of each part of the game, etc).
So the only way it would be cheaper is if they dropped the unique miniatures for each civ (and natives), and used standees or generics for those.

The minis in the photos aren't anything special. The mini renders look good, but they always look better than the actual miniature, so who knows how they'll turn out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingOfF00LS wrote:

I would suggests avoiding any and all projects that offer standee alternates (or mini alternates). That's just stupendously bad idea from production logistics standpoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |