Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Azul» Forums » Rules

Subject: Running out of tiles before full row? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I've played three games with two players each time. Two players means there's five factories out.

You always place four tiles per factory regardless of player count.

Since you only do the wall-tiling phase after the factory-offer phase, which only ends when all the tiles are selected, there's only a chance to place a single tile per row per round.

There's 100 tiles in the game. In a two player game you're placing 20 tiles out (5 factories, 4 tiles) per round. That's exactly 5 rounds. If both players miss a row a single time there aren't any tiles left for a sixth round! It hasn't happened yet but it does seem possible.

I'm more confused about when you use more factories with more players. If you are using seven factories you only get 3 full rounds and a round with only some tiles left over... That's only four chances to put tiles in a row!

I've looked up video guides of how to play and they all seem to agree that you only get to do wall-tiling after all the tiles in the factory select phase are used up. The rules even say "in the unlikely event" that you run out of tiles before the end of the game. But with more players and more factories it seems basically guaranteed you'll run out of tiles?

So, when you totally run out of tiles for a round, do you recycle the community discard pile and keep playing? Or does the game end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christi K
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You recycle the discards and keep playing until ALL tiles are used/chosen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
You recycle the communal discards when the bag is empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghorron
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agentd00nut wrote:
So, when you totally run out of tiles for a round, do you recycle the community discard pile and keep playing? Or does the game end?
At the start of the round when you prepare the factories (palce 4 tiles on each factory), if there are not enough tiles in the bag you place as much as you can, then refill the bag with all tiles from the discard and place the remaining tiles from the bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C
United States
Muscatine
Iowa
flag msg tools
It sounds to me like you're playing something wrong. The parts of your post that make me think that are

Quote:
there's only a chance to place a single tile per row per round.
and

Quote:
In a two player game you're placing 20 tiles out (5 factories, 4 tiles) per round. That's exactly 5 rounds.
1) You choose all the tiles of one color from a factory. If there is only one factory with blue tiles, it has two blue tiles, and you want blue, you have to pick both of them.

2) When you select tiles from a factory, ALL the rest of the tiles on that factory get moved into the center with the 1st player token, and from that point on you can choose a color from all the tiles in the center. So if there are 5x red tiles in the center and you want to pick red, you have to pick all of them.

3) The number of rounds and tiles chosen will be highly dependent on choices in #1 and #2, it will definitely NOT always be 5 rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agentd00nut wrote:
rules wrote:
C. Preparing the next round
If nobody has completed a horizontal line of 5 consecutive tiles
on her wall yet (see End of the game), prepare the next round.
The player with the starting player marker refills each of the
Factory displays with 4 tiles from the bag as in the setup. If the
bag is empty, refill it with all the tiles that you have placed in
the lid of the game box and then continue filling the remaining
Factory displays. Then, start the new round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a side note:

At most, each player can have 10 tiles on their player board between rounds, assuming each row is 1 tile short of being completed.

Assuming everyone completed 5 rows, you'd have at most 15 tiles on each player board at the end of the next round.

It's going to be a rare situation that you run out of tiles. We've played the game 70 times and never run out of tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C
United States
Muscatine
Iowa
flag msg tools
Murr wrote:
It's going to be a rare situation that you run out of tiles. We've played the game 70 times and never run out of tiles.
In a two player game it may be rare, but I don't think I've played a four player game where we did NOT run out of tiles at least once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Vande Ven Jr.
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vitus979 wrote:
Murr wrote:
In a two player game it may be rare, but I don't think I've played a four player game where we did NOT run out of tiles at least once.
I believe you two are working off a different definition of "run out".

Murr: Using run out as not enough tiles to put 4 per factory.

B C: Using run out as not enough tiles in the bag, thus the need to recycle from the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C
United States
Muscatine
Iowa
flag msg tools
giantmike wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
Murr wrote:

B C: Using run out as not enough tiles in the bag, thus the need to recycle from the box.
Ah, yeah, good point. I've never seen a time when there weren't enough tiles to put 4 on the factories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

I suspect lots going wrong here. It's strange given its simple rules, how Azul keeps catching folk out. In fainess to the OP, he/she may have been tought wrong or 'learned' it from a video. My advice therefore, is to forget everything and read the rules carefully from scratch (twice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane Morey
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vitus979 wrote:
giantmike wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
Murr wrote:

Ah, yeah, good point. I've never seen a time when there weren't enough tiles to put 4 on the factories.
We had that happen just tonight! In the last round of a 4p game, the ninth factory only had three tiles on it: no tiles left in the bag, no tiles in the lid of the box. I had to check the rulebook to see what to do, and, yep, it acknowledges the rarity of the situation but does say you just play with as many tiles as are available. First time in 15 games that had happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Angarano
msg tools
Today it happened to us, 4 player and we had not enough tiles to fill all the factories. We were missing 5 tiles, so we had 7 factories with 4 tiles, 1 factory with 3 and the ninth factory empty. I was wondering if that placing of tiles was correct. We could have put 4 tiles on 4 factories and 3 tiles on the other 5 factories. I checked the manual (in Italian), but no hint there. Did anyone had the same (rare) situation? How did you solve it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deutsche Mannschaftsmeisterschaft im Brettspiel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meteor5 wrote:
Today it happened to us, 4 player and we had not enough tiles to fill all the factories. We were missing 5 tiles, so we had 7 factories with 4 tiles, 1 factory with 3 and the ninth factory empty. I was wondering if that placing of tiles was correct. We could have put 4 tiles on 4 factories and 3 tiles on the other 5 factories. I checked the manual (in Italian), but no hint there. Did anyone had the same (rare) situation? How did you solve it?

In the qualifieres of the German Board Game Championships 2019 we solved this issue the same way you did:

Fill as many factories with 4 tiles as possible. Remaining tiles are put onto one factory.

https://dmmib.de/dm-2019/die-regeln
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls