Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mbmbmbmbmb
My beetle is beside my queen bee. My opponent moves her beetle on top of my queen. Can I move my beetle on top of her beetle in one move? Or must my beetle be on the second level in order to move to the third? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
constantly thinking on variants to create and implement
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can do it directly, no need of level preparation thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jew Doka
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
ukraineboo wrote:
My beetle is beside my queen bee. My opponent moves her beetle on top of my queen. Can I move my beetle on top of her beetle in one move? Or must my beetle be on the second level in order to move to the third? Thanks!
as previously stated you can climb with a Beetle to any level of the hive in only one turn. There is however a catch: the Beetle gate. If there is a Beetle gate (gate anywhere above the bottom level) your Beetle cannot make the climb. This is very rare as this situation would utilize both sets of Beetles and both Mosquitos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jewdoka wrote:
ukraineboo wrote:
as previously stated you can climb with a Beetle to any level of the hive in only one turn. There is however a catch: the Beetle gate. If there is a Beetle gate (gate anywhere above the bottom level) your Beetle cannot make the climb. This is very rare as this situation would utilize both sets of Beetles and both Mosquitos.
This is quoting the "free move"rule. That applies on the second level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jewdoka wrote:
ukraineboo wrote:
Hey, thanks for the reply. Can you explain what a beetle gate is? I have looked around and haven't seen a clear explanation of gates in Hive. Feel free to talk down to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ukraineboo wrote:
Hey, thanks for the reply. Can you explain what a beetle gate is? I have looked around and haven't seen a clear explanation of gates in Hive. Feel free to talk down to me!
A gate is 2 pieces at each end of the side of a hexagon/space/location/cell, which blocks movement through that side. E.g.:

b
Q B
b

if Q = Queen on table, B = Beetle on table, b = higher beetle on top of some other piece,

then B cannot climb onto Q, because the two higher beetles form a "gate" through which a piece cannot move.

It is similar to how, even without stacked pieces involved, if there are two X pieces on the table like this next to a piece Q:
X Y
. Q Y
X Y

then Q cannot move west through the gate formed by X X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
ukraineboo wrote:
A gate is 2 pieces at each end of the side of a hexagon/space/location/cell, which blocks movement through that side. E.g.:

b
Q B
b

if Q = Queen on table, B = Beetle on table, b = higher beetle on top of some other piece,

then B cannot climb onto Q, because the two higher beetles form a "gate" through which a piece cannot move.

It is similar to how, even without stacked pieces involved, if there are two X pieces on the table like this next to a piece Q:
X Y
. Q Y
X Y

then Q cannot move west through the gate formed by X X.
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ukraineboo wrote:
Jewdoka wrote:
ukraineboo wrote:
I insist, it's just the "free move" rule (one of the 2 basic main movement restrictions of the game). It's easier state that "free move rule also applies on second level" rather than by complex uncommon examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jew Doka
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Chango wrote:
ukraineboo wrote:
Jewdoka wrote:
ukraineboo wrote:
I insist, it's just the "free move" rule (one of the 2 basic main movement restrictions of the game). It's easier state that "free move rule also applies on second level" rather than by complex uncommon examples.
Free move rule is right, but non-specific. Gate is the specific instance. Free move rule is very broad... We could compare it to something like a "sentence" whereas a gate or Beetle gate hones in on a "word".
Thinking this way allows a player to break thoughts down to the fundamental level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
Canada
flag msg tools
You can't fall when you've hit the bottom
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I may have been playing this wrong then. I thought the beetle didn't slide, and as such could essentially move one space in an unrestricted manner.

Which pieces slide? Which pieces do not slide?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knave wrote:
Oh, I may have been playing this wrong then. I thought the beetle didn't slide, and as such could essentially move one space in an unrestricted manner.

Which pieces slide? Which pieces do not slide?
Grasshopper is the exception. Beetle and Ladybug (or Mosquito mimic them) must respect the free-move rule on level 2.

EDIT: Just to clarify, base game rules don't covered this situation because is very rare/uncommon without any expansions added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jewdoka wrote:
Chango wrote:
ukraineboo wrote:
Jewdoka wrote:
ukraineboo wrote:
Free move rule is right, but non-specific. Gate is the specific instance. Free move rule is very broad... We could compare it to something like a "sentence" whereas a gate or Beetle gate hones in on a "word".
Thinking this way allows a player to break thoughts down to the fundamental level.
No need of specifications, the free move rule covers the gate thing, being on 1st or 2nd or any level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Chango wrote:
Grasshopper is the exception. Beetle and Ladybug (or Mosquito mimic them) must respect the free-move rule on level 2.
Here's a partial layout I made a while back to illustrate how the Grasshopper jumps over gates.

Ignoring the Grasshopper now, if you imagine that the White Queen were instead a climbing bug such as another Beetle, it would be prevented from climbing atop the Ant by the hivetop Beetle gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mb
Nice illustration, Bill. Thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the encouragement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
Chango wrote:
Here's a partial layout I made a while back to illustrate how the Grasshopper jumps over gates.

Ignoring the Grasshopper now, if you imagine that the White Queen were instead a climbing bug such as another Beetle, it would be prevented from climbing atop the Ant by the hivetop Beetle gate.
Thanks. That’s really helpful. In your layout the grasshopper can make the jump correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ukraineboo wrote:
Bill Martinson wrote:
Chango wrote:

Thanks. That’s really helpful. In your layout the grasshopper can make the jump correct?
Of course it can. Green arrow + green check = allowed. Considering previous grasshopper statement = allowed. Please try to take into account all available info before asking obvius things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chango wrote:
ukraineboo wrote:
Bill Martinson wrote:
Chango wrote:

Of course it can. Green arrow + green check = allowed. Considering previous grasshopper statement = allowed. Please try to take into account all available info before asking obvius things.
I'm sensing you could use a hug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ukraineboo wrote:
Chango wrote:
ukraineboo wrote:
Bill Martinson wrote:
Chango wrote:

I'm sensing you could use a hug.
Straw Man Fallacy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls