7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: Help. I need feedback to game plan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dominik Maxima
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Hello, me and my friend design a table game, where small groups of warriors/creatures fight for their lives in black forest. They come to black forest to search magical resources, to catch rare creatures and so on and they met group of enemies. Basically is a simple wargame where each player chooses some creatures and controls them on hex board trying to eliminate enemies. There are about 8-12 fractions including elves, dwarves, undead and so on.

We would appreciate some advise about the hex plan. The hex grid is represented with some little rocks, grass and so on. We think that it is ok and the hexes are well recognizable, but there are four types of hexes: Open, Difficult, Deep(water)and Impassable. The difficult hexes are marked by white triangles in the corners. Deep hexes are marked with white dots and impassable hexes are marked with black trapezoids. This cause some problems and people sometimes did not recognize which hex si deep and which not. This is not well done. We have to find some compromise between "nice" hex plan and recognizable special types of hexes. Do you have some advice or idea?

Also, we would really appreciate any advice or hint for graphical apperance of the board. Should we add some animals, flowers, trees, maybe some ruins or what? Should we remove or replace something? Should we somehow change the colors, hue, add more texture or something like that.

Players deploy their "armies" behind the lines formed by yellow trees and there are several variations. One player can have bottom left corner and the other player upper right corner for example. We tried to make the distribution of difficult and deep hexes somehow balanced but still looking realistic. If you have some ideas how to improve it, it would be awesome.

Thank you very much in advance for any feedback you gave us.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YxFqP07FDe0eFeg3SEkAaqFDiC...-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emiel Ament
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That board looks awesome! cool

You are much better in designing a board than I do.

I wouldn't add any more detail to it (like trees and ruins). It's already very detailed and rich as it is.

You say impassable hexes are marked with black trapezoids but I couldn't find any. Are there any on the map?

Anyways, good luck on your project!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
Montenegro
flag msg tools
That's a nice board, but too detailed to also carry small cues about terrain effects.

If you put visible, thick borders around the terrain types that would work much better.
You can also color-code them:

DEEP - white borders
DIFFICULT - blue borders
IMPASSABLE - red borders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks very good. I'm afraid it's a bit busy though.
One detail : the trees look like they've fallen to the ground, the perspective is bizarre
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
Montenegro
flag msg tools
Heh, I actually thought those were the fallen trees and part of the impassable terrain. That's some strange perspective...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
BojanPrakljacic wrote:
Heh, I actually thought those were the fallen trees and part of the impassable terrain. That's some strange perspective...
Now that you mention it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Maxima
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Thank you all. I am glad you like the board.

Yeah, the perspective is strange. One option was to make the view to the board simple from the top. Second option was to make it slightly from one side, but in this case one player would look to the board upside down.
We decided to make it spherical or i dont know how to say it. From players perspective, their halves of board look leaning from them. The trees are leaning toward the center. Perhaps I have not done it well and the top view should look better.

Some people suggest to remove entirely the markings of special hexes and simple define them by the terrain, but it requires a lot of changes. We probably change the markings to thick borders with different colors as advised by Bojan.

I like the plan detailed. I like the idea, that players can enjoy it while the other player is playing. I even consider adding like twenty little dwarflings or fearies that would be hiding behind tress and rocks. Or some hidden easter eggs or something like that Maybe is too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls