Heroes & Treasure» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Crushing Critters on Christmas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alston Pinter
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
The physical game itself is pretty, well put together, and very rewarding to go through. The tokens and characters are all really cool and very helpful for the streamlined play. The manual is clear and easy to read. At the end of the game, everything packs up neat and tight without being a puzzle to fit back in the box.

This last Christmas Eve I convinced my In-Laws to play Heroes and Treasures and it went swimmingly. I was really excited to play.

The group was both my parents in-law, my wife, and my mentally deteriorating elderly aunt, oh and myself. None of them have any significant experience with board games, role-playing games, or even fantasy settings in general. Although there were no children in this game session, I am quite confident it will be easier to teach my 5 year old niece once we can schedule a game, than it was to teach my aunt.

As the experienced player I was Quest Master. After about ten minutes of play they all had a solid handle on the game, even my aunt(mostly). My wife was thrilled when she cleanly sliced down a goblin with her rouge double daggers. Mother In-Law literally cheered when she incinerated the main encounter of the first level with a fireball. My Aunt tanked very well and really enjoyed charging up into the fray. She was proud to act as the group protector. Even my straight edged Father In-law got excited clubbing down goblins and throwing out heals. I had a blast, even as a seasoned gamer.

This is one of the best games I have played in a while, especially for a beginner game. Davis and Daughters really nailed the accessibility aspect of this game without compromising the fun or the adventure. It was exciting and intriguing. I left wanting to play more.

I will be playing with my adult game group soon. As well, I will be playing with my 5-year old niece and her friends in the coming weeks. I am excited for both and very confident it will play well in either situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls