Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Darklight: Memento Mori» Forums » General

Subject: German Translation in progress (also mean Fanmade)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oli gui
msg tools
Hello everybody

i just came over this game after seeing a few indept reviews, the whole theme and gameplay really catches me.

I like games of this size and with a punishing aspect Like KDM. But to come to a point, my group isn't very versed in englisch and im also only on a decent level. Absolut not enough to translate simultaneously.


Has anybody tried a translation (no focus on the rule book) on this or is willing to do? Are their any chance of support from the developer, maybe things like original Files or simply the text. Because its a mess to do it only with OCR or tipping...

I helped a bit with a similar project with KDM but its a pain in the a.... to do this from scratch. But without, their is no possiblitie for me to bring it on the table. So i hope someone has a answer

Greetings
Olivier
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Gruen
msg tools
I started a german translation of the Questbook. But i used a online translator with typing in the whole text. Then changed the text to a logic and sinful order.
But its a pain in the ass to do this way.

I asked Mauro for the a word file of the Questbook, but we dont get it.
So if someone want to punish himself, youre welcome.

I stopped after 5 Quests, cause there are 31 following, i think. Dont want to waste my time for this.


Kurzfassung auf Deutsch:

Hab angefangen alles abzutippen, habs online übersetzen lassen und dann sinnvoll angeordnet. Dauert aber ewig und hatte keine Lust mehr nach 5 Quests, sind immerhin 36 Quests ohne die Storykampagne.
Wenn Mauro uns die Wordfile geben könnte, könnte man die komplett übersetzen lassen. Würde deutlich schneller gehen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oli gui
msg tools
Hello Tobias

Thank you for responding. That's the problem without the original File, it takes forever. Maybe its to much effort to extract the pure text and make it accessible for the community. Because otherwise I don't see a downside, if someone will copy or steal ideas, he will just buy the game for a few bucks and do it anyway.. Did you received an answer?
The quest book isn't up for download, or is it? I couldn't find it on the homepage. Would be interesting to see how much text it is, same for event cards.

Would be cool to hear something from the official side.. Because without any support, i have to skip the game instead (sure many others also). It will just see no table time, maybe for a one trick pony and then I can burn my copy^^
Sad that no german publisher indicates interests, hope if someone will do, they don't wait as long as for Gloomhaven…. But it's a good example to see how many people skipped the Eng. version and how many copies they still sold. But if they where earlier, maybe before the 2. Kickstarter… so many more backers, me including. This way a bought the eng…

Hope someone contact me😊

Greetings
Olivier
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
++++ ++++
Greece
flag msg tools
.. is here!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Olivierg wrote:
That's the problem without the original File, it takes forever. Maybe its to much effort to extract the pure text and make it accessible for the community.
Probably the case..
I'd resort to using something like 'Nitro' and then google translate as well..

But anyhow, translating all the text and then proofreading it, means A LOT of work.. I don't believe it is worth the trouble guys..
What if you simply translate some of the fanmade files (text-guides) and use those instead? Once you get the hang of the game, you won't be needing to use the actual rulebook anymore.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Gruen
msg tools
I tried to scan the quest book and extract the pages per text recognition. But didn't worked. Having the texts as a file would make it possible to translate within a week I think. Only time consuming thing is the typing.

Maybe Mauro is reading here too.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
++++ ++++
Greece
flag msg tools
.. is here!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayere wrote:
I tried to scan the quest book and extract the pages per text recognition.
Scan? Why not copy it from the pdf directly?!
https://www.darkicegames.com/darklight/downloads/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Gruen
msg tools
Questbook isn't online
That's the problem.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oli gui
msg tools
As he said, the interesting part are the quest, event etc. all the fluff, to make it short. Everything around Rules are never a problem.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
++++ ++++
Greece
flag msg tools
.. is here!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha! It was this sentence that got me confused. My bad.
Olivierg wrote:
But without, their is no possiblitie for me to bring it on the table.
In my opinion, as long as you can understand the rules you're perfectly good to go!
Anyhow, good luck with translating the game and enjoying it to the fullest!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oli gui
msg tools
Yes, the Game would work for me in solo mode, but i didnˋt like that to much. I noticed it at Gloomhaven (with a group of 3)as an example, if the fluff is laking or skiped due to language problems, it loses a lot of its immersion and my friends were no longer willing to play it anymore. So i translated a lot of the game...
But i learned from that, so with no support, i don‘ t buy the game.
Still hoping that Mauro spawns
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Olivierg wrote:
Yes, the Game would work for me in solo mode, but i didnˋt like that to much. I noticed it at Gloomhaven (with a group of 3)as an example, if the fluff is laking or skiped due to language problems, it loses a lot of its immersion and my friends were no longer willing to play it anymore. So i translated a lot of the game...
But i learned from that, so with no support, i don‘ t buy the game.
Still hoping that Mauro spawns
I am always here, you just need to invoke me usually (just like the Warden). But not sure how I can help with this matter
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oli gui
msg tools
Hello Mauro

nice to hear from you
I have a small hope their could be a way that you give me access to the Files or raw text, maybe just copied in Word. Or the orginal Files maybe without the artwork if that could be a problem with copyright or similar.

I would focus to anything with Fluff first (defenitly never trans. the rulebook, because this should be easy to understand for everyone), that means Questbook, Event Cards, Settlementbook. So for them i would do the Job and shared it to BGG after if allowed.
But i won't start or buy the game without permission to the file. The reason for that i mentioned in the post's above.

Hope we could find a solution

Greetings
Olivier
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Olivierg wrote:
Hello Mauro

nice to hear from you
I have a small hope their could be a way that you give me access to the Files or raw text, maybe just copied in Word. Or the orginal Files maybe without the artwork if that could be a problem with copyright or similar.

I would focus to anything with Fluff first (defenitly never trans. the rulebook, because this should be easy to understand for everyone), that means Questbook, Event Cards, Settlementbook. So for them i would do the Job and shared it to BGG after if allowed.
But i won't start or buy the game without permission to the file. The reason for that i mentioned in the post's above.

Hope we could find a solution

Greetings
Olivier
There have been reasons why I have not posted the Questbook online whenever other people have asked, and although I cannot remember those reasons anymore I cannot do so now especially after other countries were denied it and did a lot of work on their own to make it happen localized to their countries. They would skin me alive if I started giving it away now!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oli gui
msg tools
I see your point, nothing i want to force the people to do
So maybe some other publisher will do the job, please!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls