Popular Tags: [View All]
T S
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, roll call for our first play-by-forum game!

Game spreadsheet is here.

I'll volunteer to manage game flow and cleanup steps when someone is needed. As its our first PBF (and of a pre-release title), some improvisation may be required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take a seat, (haven't played yet, but did back on KS.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattZag wrote:
(haven't played yet, but did back on KS.)
Yeah these will be implied to be "beginner games" by the very newness of it. I have played it twice myself, but I am fairly recent to economic games overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
tdhsmith wrote:
MattZag wrote:
(haven't played yet, but did back on KS.)
Yeah these will be implied to be "beginner games" by the very newness of it. I have played it twice myself, but I am fairly recent to economic games overall.
I've played it 4 times, I think, but that doesn't make me any good at it as I was playing against my kids. Also, the PnP didn't have goals in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Nin
msg tools
Count me in! I have only played it once, I hope I still remember the rules.

By the way, how will you handle the building phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nighTails wrote:
Count me in!
Great, that's four. You are in the player 1 seat (red).

nighTails wrote:
I have only played it once, I hope I still remember the rules.
No problem. Reference to the rulebook is expected and I'm happy to help explain anything that I can manage to remember myself!

nighTails wrote:
By the way, how will you handle the building phase?
The cards in hand are represented using links into the reference sheet for buildings. When you click one it highlights the card it represents. I'll use the spreadsheet randomize function to shuffle them (since the links all look the same when "face down").

The building phase itself I figure we can just highlight the cell representing the card we want to play (in the "Bldgs in hand" area) and delete the one we want to discard. Once everyone has done that we'll copy-paste them onto the public Buildings sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moderation
Set up is complete.

I drew nighTails to start company selection. Initial company selection runs in reverse table order, so:

1. nighTails ←current
2. MattZag
3. Jythier
4. tdhsmith

General procedure for selecting a company:

- Choose an initial stock price of $35, $40, or $50 and set that as the company's initial stock price on the main sheet. You can't choose $60 for your initial company, simply because you couldn't afford it.
- Put an X in the "Started?" column.
- Put the company's name in your "Director of:" area.
- Give yourself 3 shares of the company in the shares table.
- Pay 3× the starting price from your personal funds into the company funds on that company's sheet. (Note you can use the links on the main page to jump right to a company board.)
- Note the company's starting appeal in the upper right and put that number in the appeal column on the main sheet.

Note that order for first stock and action phases is the reverse of the company starting order (i.e. normal "table direction" starting with the last player to pick a company).

Personal commentary
Meh. I don't love having the first buy in stock games I'm unfamiliar with! But I guess turn order in the first buy isn't terribly important since we all are cash poor and there are so many shares available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I should probably ask: did anyone want to use advanced game rules? (emergency fundraising / transfer of ownership) I was thinking no since this is a beginner game, but I don't have strong feelings and I understand it might actually be more familiar to folks from some genres.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how the new companies work, so I might have some questions there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always like to play the "full" game, even first time playing, but I am ok either way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
I don't know how the new companies work, so I might have some questions there.
Are there companies that are new other than the expansion ones? I didn't include expansion companies in our game, but I could add them. (The sheets are finished.)

MattZag wrote:
I always like to play the "full" game, even first time playing, but I am ok either way
Yeah I suppose the folks playing by forum should be the standard bearers for going all in, eh?

Well I'll take that as one vote for advanced rules, which is winning against the 1 votes meh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Nin
msg tools
I'm fine either way. I played with advanced rules and it doesn't feel much different. Also, I assume we are not playing with the expansion companies.

tdhsmith wrote:
The building phase itself I figure we can just highlight the cell representing the card we want to play (in the "Bldgs in hand" area) and delete the one we want to discard. Once everyone has done that we'll copy-paste them onto the public Buildings sheet.
Aren't the buildings in hand and what you choose supposed to be secret?

Anyway, I'm starting N.K.Fairbank at $40 per share.

Edit: Done starting in game sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nighTails wrote:
I'm fine either way. I played with advanced rules and it doesn't feel much different. Also, I assume we are not playing with the expansion companies.
Yeah let's forget I offered to add them. They aren't so much elements of a full game as special powers; they're all very different than base companies.

nighTails wrote:
tdhsmith wrote:
Aren't the buildings in hand and what you choose supposed to be secret?
Well the links in your hand look the same, so we're just playing the honor system that folks don't click on other peoples' links. Plus it takes two clicks, so you even have a chance to regret your plan before you cheat!

I really doubt in a first game that knowing what other people have in hand would be that strategically valuable anyway. Maybe to coordinate whether you play a similar building to another player? But folks could still do that behind the scenes through, say, PM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nighTails wrote:
Anyway, I'm starting N.K.Fairbank at $40 per share.

Edit: Done starting in game sheet.
Cool, looks right. It is now MattZag's pick to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, just don't look. Just like you wouldn't look if we were there with the buildings sitting on the table. There's nothing stopping you then either, really.

Anyway, one thing that makes these games smoother is always putting the next player on turn in bold in your move's message, so that we're never wondering whose turn it is. I also put it at the last post in the thread whenever I've made it so that I remember whose turn it is and that it's NOT my turn.

MattZag to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok,

I think I will try the Food and Dairy sector; I will go ahead and start up Libby, and will Par it at $35 per share.

I believe I set up everything in the sheet, let me know if I missed anything.

Jythier is up next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattZag wrote:
Ok,

I think I will try the Food and Dairy sector; I will go ahead and start up Libby, and will Par it at $35 per share.

I believe I set up everything in the sheet, let me know if I missed anything.

Jythier is up next.
I bought the director's share of BBC (Brunswick).

Also dry goods.

Parred at $50.

tdhsmith to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The pictures of the cubes aren't coming through for me. I only see the steel and goods pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok parring Anglo-American at $35, alone in the meat-packing sector for now.

That ends initial company selection. Next is stock round.

I start with priority, but I will pass my turn.

Next is Jythier for stocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pass.

MattZag

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will purchase another share of my own company, Libby, at $35.

(I can't purchase the preferred 20% share if I already have the 30% directors share, correct?)

Adjusted game sheet.

nighTails up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
The pictures of the cubes aren't coming through for me. I only see the steel and goods pictures.
Hrm. I guess that's not that surprising since I used emojis, which don't always work in scenarios like this. Do they work for you here? <🐖,🚂,🌳,🔩>

I'll try to find some better supported symbols that still seem logical, but in the interim let me know if there's anywhere on the board that is ambiguous without them. Hopefully I also put the word everywhere.

MattZag wrote:
(I can't purchase the preferred 20% share if I already have the 30% directors share, correct?)
Correct. As a quick reminder, the per player share limitations are:
- No ownership of both the directors 30% + preferred 20%
- Max 60% ownership of single company
- Max 14 certificates

Random note: nice job getting the reverse tied-appeals order thing right for Libby and Brunswick. I forgot to check we did it correctly until just now.

nighTails to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got it wrong then got it right after reading your note! Honestly now is the first time I've known what to do with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Chandler III
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
tdhsmith wrote:
Moderation
Set up is complete.

1. nighTails ←current
2. MattZag
3. Jythier
4. tdhsmith
Hey friends,

I just want to say, I think this is super awesome! Really great job on the spreadsheet. Super clever how you are handling the buildings.

Anyway, I'm watching you folks play the game on the sidelines and look forward to seeing how everything plays out.

Good Luck! Have fun!

Cheers,
Raymond
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] |